How to: attach jeep to trailer?

Cascadia

Undecided
I think it would also make it easier to place your rig on the trailer everytime. If you have the right length strap you'll know exactly where it needs to go to keep it from swaying or bouncing.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
So he (video) is saying my 1 worn out and frayed strap around each axle isn't right?? -I don't believe him. He's just trying to sell more straps..

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That is a good video with some great tech. He cites the fact that 'most states' require 4 points of contact, I've scoured the Utah state laws and can't find anything to that nature. Anyone find anything?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
That is a good video with some great tech. He cites the fact that 'most states' require 4 points of contact, I've scoured the Utah state laws and can't find anything to that nature. Anyone find anything?

I started to look but ran out of time. I would sure like to know.

Venture13

I run four axle straps, bought them from TG when they had a good spring sale. I then suck down the front and rear axle winches just a little to keep the body roll down. You will notice the vehicle drops down if you have a 4 link and are straping the axles down. The stretching loads the links in a manner to where the ride height drops and compresses the springs a little. I like chains, but they are heavy and don't stretch, so when things loosen just a little, the chains will unhook and fall off. The chain binders are great, but sometimes I wrap a bungee cord around the lever handle from popping loose. The lever type chain binder can be scary if it lets loose in your face or on the trailer, because it creates a bunch of slack instantly. In the video the guy was talking about having more wraps on your reel for taking up strap and preventing slip. I usually start with the reel slightly tight without a prewrap, because to many wraps can be a pain in the butt to undo. That's one thing you will notice with a rookie is watching them undo their strap ratchets, especially the stuck ones.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I'm looking to change up how we tie down the jeep in the enclosed. Anyone have any thoughts about looping an axle strap through each wheel then tying each wheel at a tie down point?

It can be a PITA to crawl under the jeep to throw the chain over the diff in an enclosed.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'm looking to change up how we tie down the jeep in the enclosed. Anyone have any thoughts about looping an axle strap through each wheel then tying each wheel at a tie down point?

It can be a PITA to crawl under the jeep to throw the chain over the diff in an enclosed.

They show exactly that being done in a picture on that Mac's Custom Tie Downs site. Hang on, I'll find it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Is this what you were thinking? I think if I were to try that my beadlock rings would cut the strap eventually. Are there any sharp edges on your wheels?

266_486_large.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Exactly what I was thinking. I'll have to check my wheels to see if that would work.

In the video the guy was talking about having more wraps on your reel for taking up strap and preventing slip. I usually start with the reel slightly tight without a prewrap, because to many wraps can be a pain in the butt to undo. That's one thing you will notice with a rookie is watching them undo their strap ratchets, especially the stuck ones.

I noticed that. I typically start with the straps taut, and by the time I'm done tightening, there are at least two wraps on them. Squishy tires and flexy springs will do that. Only once have I had a strap come loose. And only on one trip have I had a strap start to fail...oddly, two did that on the same trip. Weird.

The thing that got my attention was the stitching and quality of straps. I may be upgrading soon. I've been using the Keeper straps from HD or HF.

Brett

Venture13

I would not suggest tie downs on the rim or wheel. That is part of the driveline and even in park can move a little and shift. Straping the axle is safer in my book with less shifting and lossening of the straps. I strap my ATV down by the rims in 4wd and park, some how everything gets loose. Yep, it's a pain in the butt to strap down the Jeep, especially in the enclosed. Had a 24ft enclosed for 4 yrs, lots of work crawling around in tight spots.

Ended up welding some D-ring shackles on the axles, mounted new reinforced trailer floor/decking hooks, the heavy duty 7K ones that fold down flush. Also I had specific straps with locking hooks for each corner ready to snap in place. Painted the a mark on the strap where it would engaged on the ratchet for easy setup. When I backed out I would just leave the straps still hooked up at the floor and toss them in the middle of the trailer.

RubberNeckin

This is how to secure your rig, big or small it works for all:D. It is by far the best way to go. Chains are the key to having a safe trip. 2011-04-29 21.16.56.jpg2011-04-29 21.16.32.jpg