How to: attach jeep to trailer?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Some chain binders just became illegal here in New Mexico. The ratcheting kind are still approved but the cam buckle type are not no longer legal. I guess somewhere along the line there have been enough folks who did not tie the handle down, the lever came up, and released the load. I saw that you had a ratchet type on the rear. I was unable to determine the kind you had on the front. Just something to think about.

LT.

Up front is the same type of binder as the rear.

Is this the cam buckle type that you're referring to?

4228.jpg

LT.

Up front is the same type of binder as the rear.

Is this the cam buckle type that you're referring to?

4228.jpg

Yeah, that is it. There has been more than one instance where the operator did not secure the handle by some means, and they came open. I have one that I have used with no problems but, I tie the handle down to prevent it from coming undone.

LT.

Meat_

Banned
Benjy, my preferred method is to run the chain like you have it on the rear axle except forget the binder, set the chain to the appropriate length and drive the jeep forward until it's tight. Then use four ratchet straps, two front and rear in an X from the outermost strong point on the frame/bumper to the opposite side of the trailer. Tighten the front first to keep pressure on the chain. The chain will keep the jeep from going forward on hard stops or a wreck, and the ratchet straps will suck the jeep down to remove any movement in the suspension.

I believe you've been behind me while I was drifting my trailer around corners on a dirt road yes?

Cal Ranch has 10K ratchet straps for $18ish apiece, they are Keeper brand (made in the USA)

Meat_

Banned
Yeah, that is it. There has been more than one instance where the operator did not secure the handle by some means, and they came open. I have one that I have used with no problems but, I tie the handle down to prevent it from coming undone.

LT.

All binders of this style are not created equal. If they are as tight as they should be, and they cam over as far as they should (in their design) they will never come undone, with that said.... only a moron wouldn't lock/wire or wrap excess chains around them :D

Benjy, my preferred method is to run the chain like you have it on the rear axle except forget the binder, set the chain to the appropriate length and drive the jeep forward until it's tight. Then use four ratchet straps, two front and rear in an X from the outermost strong point on the frame/bumper to the opposite side of the trailer. Tighten the front first to keep pressure on the chain. The chain will keep the jeep from going forward on hard stops or a wreck, and the ratchet straps will suck the jeep down to remove any movement in the suspension.

Why do it in an X to the opposite side? I've seen this done, never understood why.

Brett

Meat_

Banned
Longer strapping lenght keeps it lower. Also, less chance of the suspension compressing more on a bump and letting the hook come undone

Keeps what lower?

If you have the suspension compressing on a bump, that's a sign that it might not be tight enough.

Ok thanks, I wondered what the logic was.

I'll keep mine on the same side, angled down to the trailer at about 45 deg. They are keeping the rig sucked down, and are already in the direction of force that I want. (front/back) The downward force and tire friction will keep it in place side to side.

I used to do the chain on the rear axle, driving it forward to take up the slack. 4 straps, one on each corner, is tighter and quicker, and more secure (less movement).

I'm sure adding a chain to the rear would add more security...but it's more than is needed, and adds more time in a process that already takes too long.

I rarely have to tighten them up, though I do check them at every stop.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I had an old flat bed dually f350 on our "little" trailer last night, and I was sure wishing I had tie downs to compress the suspension a bit :ugh: I'm a newb when it comes to towing, so Ogden to Orem was an interesting experience... I was sure glad I had a truck that was up to the task :greg:

Justin Lake

I attach the ratchet strap from one corner of the trailer, go under the axle tube, over the pumpkin, back under the other side's axle tube and attach to the other corner so it's in a V. I do this in the front and rear. I also make sure to stop after a mile or so of driving and re-tighten straps if needed. Works great for me.

Chevycrew

Thats a good video! Should be included in the Noob training.

Think of your straps as a 4 link, you need the 4 tie down points to be stable, and enough triangulation to hold. Its easier for me to cross my straps front and rear to get enough angle, than it is to run from the same axle side to the trailer. Either way is fine, if you have enough angle.

I still have the axle straps on my purchase list... It will making tieing down much easier.