How would YOU build a highway-worthy, ultra-cheap 4x4 on 35s?

85CUCVKRAWLER

here yo ugo

Some 32's, an aussie locker in the rear and a 2" budget boost and you could do most trails

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Hmm. What rear axle(s) came in the ZJ? And how do 35s fit inside the wheel wells?
96+ an aluminum centered d44, which actually isn't the worst axle in the world if you can get over the lack of gearing and locker options. But 4.56's exist, and lunchbox lockers exist.

On 35s it's pretty heavy for those axles, but if you're mindful it would work. Would be better on the highway than an xj, but probably a little more breakage prone on the trail.

Lift is pretty easy, swap front coils to the rear and buy some 4.5" coils. On short arms you'll rub without some fender surgery, on long arms you'll fit fine. I don't know, 35s kinda become a never ending can of worms for zjs.

It's crazy how prices have changed. I think I sold my 98 zj with dynatrac 60 rear, hp 44 front ctms, lockers, v8 with like 60k miles for like 5 grand ten years ago to Bart's son (right?). I'm pretty sure I could get way more from that rig these days.

Attachments

• IMGP0014.JPG
    IMGP0014.JPG
    542.3 KB · Views: 18

Tebbsjeep

I'd look at building a Ford ranger. You can still find them cheapish. The right one will have a decent 8.8 rear axle. The ifs would have better road manners, but you could swap in a d30/d44 from a Jeep. I've seen a few with that done. Bob the bed for a better departure angle. I'm sure you could fit 35s without much trouble. Not sure about fuel economy as I've never owned one.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I concur with Cody.
For sure the ZJ will be cheaper to buy on the front end than an XJ. Good second gen xjs with under 200k miles are like 7k+
People don't quite still throw away ZJs, but they're less.

Pile of parts

You're in the car business. The right deal will come along. (Not for $5000) I stand by my opinion of a JK Rubicon of some sort. I just don't see any other option to accomplish what you're asking. Any of the cheap options are going to require extra money to be brought up to spec, meet your needs, be reliable and comfortably drive the distance to Moab. Maybe you go with a non rubicon version and add lockers to get a better deal. Plenty of soccer mom 4wd minivans out there ready to be passed along to the next owner. You'll get nickeled and dimed on anything in the $5000 range to make it reliable and add the suspension, wheels, tires, lockers, lift, etc. and you won't like driving it that far. You might as well drive your TJ because it checks all those boxes, you know its condition and you already have it. I assume you don't drive it to Moab because it's noisy/not comfortable??? If it's about fuel milage, forget it with anything with 35s. I'm not really a JK/JL/Jwhatever fan, but I see the advantages of being very capable on and off road and would go this way if I were looking to do what it sounds like you want to do.
Like often said on here, buy once cry once! Or just drive the TJ.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
So out of curiosity what makes your TJ not fit these requirements?

The highway manners are poor enough that I avoid the interstate (and interstate speeds) whenever possible. It is noisy, uncomfortable, gets tossed about by crosswinds, drinks gasoline like a fish, and so on.

Maybe it's my fault since I'm getting older, but I absolutely do not enjoy driving this thing at 65 MPH for even just ~10 miles. I cannot think of any instance where I'd want to drive this thing 200 miles to Moab. That's why I figure I'd want/need to change rigs if I wasn't going to trailer any more.

But put it in 4LO and put me on a trail, and I'm in heaven.

XJ on lunchbox lockers?

My first rig was an XJ. It was on 32s, and it took a substantial amount of lift to fit them. With those tiny wheel wells, I just don't think another XJ is my answer. (Are the wheel wells on a ZJ significantly larger?)

I'd look at building a Ford ranger.

Hmm. I am willing to consider Brand X (ie, something that isn't a Jeep) but I didn't even think about a compact pickup. Hmm.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'd look at building a Ford ranger. You can still find them cheapish. The right one will have a decent 8.8 rear axle. The ifs would have better road manners, but you could swap in a d30/d44 from a Jeep. I've seen a few with that done. Bob the bed for a better departure angle. I'm sure you could fit 35s without much trouble. Not sure about fuel economy as I've never owned one.
Hmm. I am willing to consider Brand X (ie, something that isn't a Jeep) but I didn't even think about a compact pickup. Hmm.

What about a first generation Explorer? Those are dirt cheap, have a V8, relatively comfortable, built from the Ford parts bin, so plenty is available for them.

Or maybe a 98 - 03 Dakota/Durango? I know nothing about them really, but I've seen Durango's running around on 35's from time to time and they're cheap.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I don’t think you’ll get a better result than putting money into the TJ to make it more comfortable on the road. Cheap vehicles just don’t drive nice and of course the more off-road friendly it is, the less street friendly it is.

I say invest in the TJ or cash flow some more until you can get the right deal on a JK like @Pile of parts said.

Agility Customs

Vendor
The highway manners are poor enough that I avoid the interstate (and interstate speeds) whenever possible. It is noisy, uncomfortable, gets tossed about by crosswinds, drinks gasoline like a fish, and so on.

Maybe it's my fault since I'm getting older, but I absolutely do not enjoy driving this thing at 65 MPH for even just ~10 miles. I cannot think of any instance where I'd want to drive this thing 200 miles to Moab. That's why I figure I'd want/need to change rigs if I wasn't going to trailer any more.

But put it in 4LO and put me on a trail, and I'm in heaven.

My first rig was an XJ. It was on 32s, and it took a substantial amount of lift to fit them. With those tiny wheel wells, I just don't think another XJ is my answer. (Are the wheel wells on a ZJ significantly larger?)

Does your TJ currently have high steer? We have plenty of customers with TJs that we have done high steer on and added a few more degrees of caster than the specs call for and they drive down the highway awesome.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
What about a first generation Explorer? Those are dirt cheap, have a V8, relatively comfortable, built from the Ford parts bin, so plenty is available for them.
Had a second gen Explorer for a while, the torsion bar front end didn't do anything well. The autohubs would disconnect when you shifted from or to reverse, and if you had trouble getting going again then they couldn't reengage. That got me stuck a couple times. And I think the V8 was only available with an "AWD" setup that didn't have low range.

The 4.0 was a great motor though, decent mileage and useable power. Swap the hubs out for manual ones and it could be a start.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think they are probably similar, but modern practical knowledge has changed. When I built my first ZJ, it was like 8" of lift and 33's and that was considered necessary for that tire. The purple 98 ZJ above (and below) pictured about is 4.5" and 35's with, honestly, very little cutting. The aftermarket bumpers helped there. It also got 15+ MPG highway, and I drove it all over...death valley, Moab multiple times, Silverton ETC ETC. Now people are stuffing 40's in those wheel wells somehow. You can do some trimming and still retain the stock fender lines and look.

Here are some pictures showing how little trimming the purple jeep needed (the one where it's on it's side on Green Day has the suspension unloaded, but it's a good angle of my lack of trimming). It stuffed them pretty good and only sat at 4.5". The Black one was also on 35's, but more like 5" of lift. I think it was actually a front to rear swap, with 1.75" pucks on top. 8.8 rear, 30 front 4.56's etc. It had the 4 point slow motor, so it would max out at about 60 (maybe 65 with a brisk tail wind) on the highway and get about 9 mpg. I could not recommend that motor any less. Not only was it underpowered for a rig that size, it also sucked at doing motor-like things such as running. I had almost zero problems with the 3 5.2 v8 zj's I had, and I beat the living shit out of them.

That ZJ for $500 is a steal. Put long arms on it and some TLC and you'd be in business there.

Honestly, the early WJ (1999-2002) with 4.7 v8 may not be a bad option either. I see those pop up for sale quite a bit for cheap. This one has been on KSL for a while, and might be had for cheaper. I'd take those 2" pucks out and then either keep the 37's, or go to 35's. Going lower is better still, but would require new coils all around. I think 4.5" on 35's is the sweet spot. I think wheels with more offset would be good too. https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/74289276

Attachments

• 1931278_45146008670_5356_n.jpg
    1931278_45146008670_5356_n.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 10400543_22090393670_554_n.jpg
    10400543_22090393670_554_n.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 18
  • 10400543_22090383670_9971_n.jpg
    10400543_22090383670_9971_n.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN1953.JPG
    DSCN1953.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 18

Agility Customs

Vendor
Here is what you do, throw all caution out the window and buy a cheap used JL. Then…. Just few weeks later finance your self up to your nipples on a JT after wanting no debt on a JL. Find some rubicon fenders for the JL and give skippy 4k for gears and lockers

😬

I like this plan!

Brad J

Had a second gen Explorer for a while, the torsion bar front end didn't do anything well. The autohubs would disconnect when you shifted from or to reverse, and if you had trouble getting going again then they couldn't reengage. That got me stuck a couple times. And I think the V8 was only available with an "AWD" setup that didn't have low range.

The 4.0 was a great motor though, decent mileage and useable power. Swap the hubs out for manual ones and it could be a start.
I have a 2001 Explorer with the V8 and that is correct that all V8's came as AWD. I swapped out the AWD Transfer Case with a manual shift 4406-21 Transfer Case from a F150. Installed a 3" Body Lift, new torsion keys with a twist to match new rear springs. I had some fairly new All Terrain 245 75r16 (30.5x9.65) tires that got us in and out of the Needles District in Canyonlands. You might have to SAS along with some trimming to fit 35s. Lifting the 1st Gen Explorers is cheaper and easier since they are not IFS. Sorry about the picture of the pictures of before and after. IMG_20200503_154334.jpg

XJEEPER

Does your TJ currently have high steer? We have plenty of customers with TJs that we have done high steer on and added a few more degrees of caster than the specs call for and they drive down the highway awesome.
WJ knuckles/brakes, OTK steering, rotated inner-C's to correct lost caster from lifting/eliminate front driveline vibration. I've done these mods to my XJ and it's rock solid at 75-80mph, stops great and has zero bumpsteer.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I just want to take a second and say the RR4W rule of 35's is hilarious. Is there no way they'll give you an exception? My old homies and I took our XJ's with 3" lifts and 33's through all those trails.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I just want to take a second and say the RR4W rule of 35's is hilarious. Is there no way they'll give you an exception? My old homies and I took our XJ's with 3" lifts and 33's through all those trails.
I agree that the tire size rule is rather arbitrary, but they put it in there because they have to set some sort of standard to weed out the people who would show up with a bone stock Wrangler X and no experience. That creates a headache for everyone on the trail. And without any way of really vetting people and vehicles before the trails during EJS, the only way to do it is with tire size and equipment requirements.

Its not like the good ol' days when you'd show up for Pritchett in what looked like a stock Samurai and the trail leader would just say, "Umm... are you sure? Ok, lets go!" :D