How would YOU build a highway-worthy, ultra-cheap 4x4 on 35s?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just want to take a second and say the RR4W rule of 35's is hilarious. Is there no way they'll give you an exception? My old homies and I took our XJ's with 3" lifts and 33's through all those trails.
true.... but not with 25 people that are asking what the lever next to the gearshift is for
I agree that the tire size rule is rather arbitrary, but they put it in there because they have to set some sort of standard to weed out the people who would show up with a bone stock Wrangler X and no experience. That creates a headache for everyone on the trail. And without any way of really vetting people and vehicles before the trails during EJS, the only way to do it is with tire size and equipment requirements.

Its not like the good ol' days when you'd show up for Pritchett in what looked like a stock Samurai and the trail leader would just say, "Umm... are you sure? Ok, lets go!" :D

This

J-mobzz

WJ knuckles/brakes, OTK steering, rotated inner-C's to correct lost caster from lifting/eliminate front driveline vibration. I've done these mods to my XJ and it's rock solid at 75-80mph, stops great and has zero bumpsteer.
There’s obviously tons of examples of highway worthy TJ is on 35s. And with full doors, a hardtop and lots of sound deadening material. most of the noise could be controlled to a level that would be comparable to pretty much anything else in that price range.

But he still would be dealing with fuel economy issues. I think a handful of trips to Moab and back a year paying for the extra $50 or $60 in fuel would go long ways before the cost of building a new rig.

To me it sounds like possibly @TurboMinivan it’s just over his TJ and wants something different. I think most people here would agree he’s not going to find anything that’s going do what he wants much better than what he already has without bumping up the budget a fair amount.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I don’t think you’ll get a better result than putting money into the TJ to make it more comfortable on the road.

And perhaps this is the direction I really ought to go.

Does your TJ currently have high steer?

Yes, after a fashion. I've got WJ steering knuckles/brakes with a fabricated HD steering setup.

WJ knuckles/brakes, OTK steering, rotated inner-C's to correct lost caster from lifting/eliminate front driveline vibration. I've done these mods to my XJ and it's rock solid at 75-80mph, stops great and has zero bumpsteer.

I am quite happy with the improved braking performance compared to my original brakes (rear drums are still stock). However, I have all the bump steer... and the Jeep wanders quite a bit, with steering that has definitely 'loosened up' compared to stock. This is the primary reason I am so reluctant to hit high speeds in this thing.

To me it sounds like possibly @TurboMinivan it’s just over his TJ and wants something different.

I see a definite future where I won't be trailering my rig any more, so I am trying to plan a strategy for when that day arrives (and it might be a few years away, if I'm lucky). In its current state, I wouldn't want to drive the Jeep anywhere at freeway speeds which wasn't 100% necessary. So that's why this thread was started.

But maybe I'm going about it wrong. Maybe I should try to get the Jeep in better shape to handle the highway.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
IMO, at $5k you're going to invest some sweat equity to get something capable & reliable on 35's. The need for something with decent highway manners leads me towards something with a longer wheelbase and a frame. A decent engine that can turn 35's at 75+ MPH is needed as well. Based on the requirement and if you didn't have to stick with a Jeep....

A vehicle I've often thought about building is a Ford Explorer Sport-Trac with a SAS. You get a newer, more reliable 4 door truck with a small bed, no removable top so no excessive wind noise and I believe many of them came with the 4.0 V6 which is pretty damn impressive. Later models came with the modular 4.6l V8 as well. A V8 would be nice, but MPG wouldn't be great.

I'd say SAS with a Ford Dana 44 front and 9" rear, long arms up front with coil springs and some flexy leafs out back. Cut the fenders, keep it semi-low with a decent bit of up-travel. (SuperDuty axles would be overkill, but probably probably close to the same price as a Ford D44 and 9" these days.)

1000009225.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I would love to build a first gen (square body) 2 door Ford Explorer with a sas. There were a couple on KSL recently for under $2k. I think they would be an awesome and unique build. There was a dude in a late 80's ext cab Ranger that ran 7 mile with us a few years ago. SAS and a 302 from an F150. I think he was on 35's. He walked wipeout hill pretty easily.

Edit: looks like a good candidate. https://cars.ksl.com/listing/9051845/photo/1

Last edited:

Pike2350

This popped up. I think for the price, you get a pretty good amount of decent parts and it fits your budget pretty well along with your requirements for trail leading.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
This popped up. I think for the price, you get a pretty good amount of decent parts and it fits your budget pretty well along with your requirements for trail leading.

That is a great deal with those parts on it. While I'm a fan of starting with a never-taken-offroad stocker, the value on that one is hard to beat.

XJEEPER

Great bang for the buck here!

UPNO4

Addicted
Bump Steer?? What ?? Are you sure? It matches Jake's Geometry and his doesn't have any bump steer. You need to get those 2" spacers of the front as well. You are not wrong TJ's are not the most comfortable to drive long distance but you won't get anything to wheel as well for that budget and still be comfortable to drive that distance. Loved my ZJ but it became a trailer queen?? after awhile.