HPTuners guys: Enter Here

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I know a couple of you guys have HPT. There’s a massive debate (maybe just in my mind) on whether it can rewrite a VIN. My tuner guy here says it won’t (as does most of the rest of the world), but Motech in Vegas is telling me it will. Maybe the confusion is that the “programmer” will not, but the “scanner” function will.

So I was just wondering if one of you guys wouldn’t mind playing around with the scanner function and see if you can actually see if you have the option of changing your vin.

Thanks.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I have HP Tuners, but have never messed with the VIN. I'm not sure my crate LS3 would even have a VIN# assigned to it... 🤷‍♂️

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'll try and look at it tonight when I get home. Oddly enough, I can change throttle maps, fuel maps, delete all emissions equipment and trouble codes but I couldn't even disable or reset the brake light error on JMOBZ Tahoe. The functionality is odd.

J-mobzz

I'll try and look at it tonight when I get home. Oddly enough, I can change throttle maps, fuel maps, delete all emissions equipment and trouble codes but I couldn't even disable or reset the brake light error on JMOBZ Tahoe. The functionality is odd.
It wasn’t an easy task finding a scan tool that would, and the tool I ended up with while useful can’t do a lot of what hptuners does.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Most shops keep a few different scan tools on hand just to be sure they can do all that they need.
It would be nice to know if the scan tool portion of HP will do this.

Completely stupid that the Jeep runs clean enough to pass emissions, but would fail it because the numbers don’t match.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I don’t understand but I am very interested. A little background?? Is it that when the inspector plugs the tester in his machine will say it is a Chevy truck instead of your jeep? Or I guess one particular Chevy truck.
Just thinking but say a ECM goes bad on a Chevy truck and is replaced with a new one. Does it need to have a VIN written to the new one

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
It is completely stupid. What is even dumber is that the country has now cut the number of stations that can even test pre OBD 2 vehicles. They want to eliminate the sniff test completely I hear. Like every one will just scrap their old cars because it’s harder to obtain an inspection. I don’t think they care at all how dirty or clean or dirty your rig is at this point they don’t even measure it. It’s power and money.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I don’t understand but I am very interested. A little background?? Is it that when the inspector plugs the tester in his machine will say it is a Chevy truck instead of your jeep? Or I guess one particular Chevy truck.
Just thinking but say a ECM goes bad on a Chevy truck and is replaced with a new one. Does it need to have a VIN written to the new one
In Utah County, my Jeep registers what they classify as a VIN Missmatch. They simply enter that into the computer and I pass as long as I don't have too many codes set. This clears up the issue you are highlighting when replacing ECM's.

Oddly enough, the later LJ's (05,06) have a TCM in the ECM and are notorious for failing. Wranglerfix repairs them and sells you an entirely new ECM. Maybe you could reach out to him @UNSTUCK and see how he flashes the vin, if he does.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It is completely stupid. What is even dumber is that the country has now cut the number of stations that can even test pre OBD 2 vehicles. They want to eliminate the sniff test completely I hear. Like every one will just scrap their old cars because it’s harder to obtain an inspection. I don’t think they care at all how dirty or clean or dirty your rig is at this point they don’t even measure it. It’s power and money.
I just learned this when I had my 1993 Cruiser emissioned. They also raised the price to $60. 🙄

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
That must be the issue then.
My ECM is boxed and ready to ship to Texas to LSX Power Tuning who have done “thousands of VIN rewrites” and “mostly ls swaps on Jeeps” so hopefully it works well.

NYCEGUY01

Im not sure it will write a Jeep vin into a GM ECM if you have GM credits etc. . The way HP tuner works is you buy credits for the specific use. You may have to buy the proper credits for the Chevy AND the Jeep to make that work..

I dont really do anything with HP these days. I use Holley for everything now..LOL