Hunting Season Opened for us

DesertRam

These are all mourning doves. Locally we have mourning, white-wing, and the invasive Eurasian collared dove. The latter two species are mostly in the valley near the river (Rio Grande) and in town. I don't like hunting those places because there are more people, so I go out to remote desert water holes where only mourning doves venture. The mourning doves are typically much darker in color than the other two species. Can't say why...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
These are all mourning doves. Locally we have mourning, white-wing, and the invasive Eurasian collared dove. The latter two species are mostly in the valley near the river (Rio Grande) and in town. I don't like hunting those places because there are more people, so I go out to remote desert water holes where only mourning doves venture. The mourning doves are typically much darker in color than the other two species. Can't say why...
Don't you usually wear darker colors at funerals, and other times of mourning?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm your huckleberry.

But, after following a million Utah plated cars who can't seem to understand the concept of merging yesterday I'll need a day or two. Seriously, if you want to come up this way for a day or two I can take you out and help the best I can. I think it would be fun and productive. Send me a pm if you are interested.
That would be amazing. I’ll keep that in mind but it might not be this season.

ID Bronco

It's late September again (I can't believe it's here already) and that means sage grouse hunting.

This year I was excited that all of my boys would be home for this. I don't think I've ever had all the boys together for this before. Yes, we miss my daughter who isn't here but it was a great time. We had a cross country meet and a swim meet on opening day so I yanked them out of school and we all went out for our own opener yesterday. We had 10 tags, 2 dogs and 5 hunters with miles and miles of habitat to cover. I had been monitoring the birds for about a month and it had been hot and dry so I knew they were near the creeks. Of course last week it rained for 3 days and there was water everywhere so they were more spread out, but that's what boot leather is for.

I took my old dog with us even though he's not much help but the youngster really stepped up and did great.

An early departure and arrival:

20240923_083502.jpg

It was a chilly 39 degrees but we were sweating in no time.

20240923_094330.jpg20240923_094650.jpg20240923_110850.jpg20240923_123145.jpg20240923_133034.jpg20240923_123113.jpg
This was such a cool moment, one of my boys (in blue) had missed a few and was really down on himself. We had a "self talk", talk and kept on going, then a few minutes later he hit a double and two of his brothers finished their limits all in one bunch. Confidence was restored.

20240923_150703.jpg20240923_150922.jpg

A well deserved rest (11 miles)

And....................dinner of sage grouse.

20240923_200353.jpg