I hate Craigslist Lowballers...

Definitely a scam I've run into many times. The scam is they obviously get a cut from the vin check service, and they always recommend/demand a specific service. I used to tell them I would share a carfax with them, but I'm down to just calling them out as a scammer at the first hint of this vin check. They are always driving from out of town and they never actually show up, just harass you via text trying to get you to buy their report.

Lately, I have replied with something to the effect of: "I didn't realize at first that you are a scammer. You represent everything that is wrong with the internet." blah blah blah.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Last night I scheduled to buy a set of stock Ford Ranger wheels/tires that I can drive on so I can list the ones that came with my truck, for sale.

The seller is about 35-45 mins drive away for me, but if you know me, that’s no problem. I would have drove to him no problem. He said he actually had to come over to my area anyways to “help a friend with their car” and would be able to meet up “around 7pm”. Cool, I get off work at about 6 so that works for me.

Around 7 I am waiting for his message to come in in order to meet up, so I go and grab food and wait in the parking lot. After an hour of waiting, I head back home (5 mins away) and as soon as I pull up to home he messages me about where to meet, so I suggest a grocery store and he counters with meeting at a gas-station so he can get gas for the drive home, cool, we agree on the gas station across the street from said grocery store.

I go there and wait for another hour (9pm at this point) and decide to go back home. He finally texts me back at 11:30pm saying “he’s there, and doesn’t have enough gas to get home until he sells these tires”. I’m asleep by this point and don’t hear the notification. I wake up at 1:30am and ask if he’s still there, if he would have responded soon enough I would have went and met with him for the exchange, but he doesn’t message me back until 3:30am saying “yes, still here, been sleeping in my truck”.

Now it’s 6am and I’m headed to work. Sorry guy, hope you get your gas money to get home.
That sounds like such a Hawaiian situation :rofl:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So I had my first "industry professional" low-baller look at a bike today.
Started first kick cold motor at 20°F - I'm thinking YES! (24 year old 2 strokes don't usually do this.)

He tried the old "I think I hear water pump noise" trick--- then when I had him put his hand on the water pump to feel for vibrations he quickly changed his story to "it must be the skid plate rattling." :p

Then he says "I think it's worth $1700.

So I agreed with him- that 1.7-2k would be an ok price 3 years ago but the market is kinda nuts right now and I've had 10
people or so messaging me the first day I e had it up ----but "hey no worries if it's not for you have a nice day and I hope you find what you're looking for."

-then he started getting snippy about how "he knows the market because I own so and so shop."

And gets rude because I'm not willing to sell something 1k less than asking.

I'm thinking --apparently he wants me to sell it at a loss because he "knows?" LOL

I listen for a minute while he keeps telling be it's garbage (I hate this tactic).

-So mid-sentance: I stick my hand out, smile and say "have a nice day."

It was bound to happened eventually but I thought I was immune LoL. I love talking to people and I enjoy a challenge but some people are just cranky haha.

My personal take away is a little respect in dealings goes a long way.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
This was nuts. 25+2 other people messaging me. Half of them super low ballers. Is this what the world is coming to???

The buyer though was great. Showed up on time, payed full price, gave him a huge piece of cardboard and helped him load it in their minivan. His wife didn't even look up from her phone :rofl:

Screenshot_20220310-193318_Messenger~2.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This was nuts. 25+2 other people messaging me. Half of them super low ballers. Is this what the world is coming to???

The buyer though was great. Showed up on time, payed full price, gave him a huge piece of cardboard and helped him load it in their minivan. His wife didn't even look up from her phone :rofl:

View attachment 147022

You appealed to the tweaker crowd with a cheap pit bike... they can only steal and pawn so much.

SnwMnkys

Guy showed up yesterday to look at my enclosed trailer. Walks all around it, inside and out. Says it’s exactly what he’s looking for. Then says, “Ok. I’ll starting saving for it.” and leaves.

Enclosed trailers are absolutely nutty right now. Seriously a 100% increase on used enclosed trailers from just a couple years ago.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Here's a new one... I went to look at a new car for my mother in law tonight. We liked it. I said, 'ok, we'll take it'. Didn't even barter.

The lady responded that she had a couple people see it already, and has a couple scheduled to see it tomorrow, and wants to wait for them to look at it also. After everyone who called has had a chance to look at it, she is going to sell it to the person who she thinks is going to be the 'best fit' for the vehicle.

I was standing in her driveway with a large amount of cash.. and she turned us away. 🤷‍♂️ We laughed all the way home at how odd that was.