Idaho IBDR in 2024

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I hate to be "That guy" but I have to bow out. My parent's 50th anniversary is Saturday (22nd) and I totally forgot we are throwing them a party. Bummed is an understatement. Adulting as an only child sucks.

MontanaDog

Hey gang…I am looking for trail status reports and possibly some crews of people headed through this route at a similar time frame.
If this crew is still going will probably see you out there.

I am starting at Lowman, headed north to Lolo. My wife and two boys are coming along. This is our first overland trip. We are going to the Sawtooth Valley Gathering June 19-23. Starting at Lowman on June 24th.

We will be in a Green 24 Bronco Everglades. I have a winch and I am bringing a chainsaw. Sounds like choker chain and winch will come in handy. I don’t have any coms and won’t have any by the time I’m out there.

At this point my plan is to head north as far as possible and bail out and back track if things become impassable dues to snow or my chainsaw abilities allow.

At this point I think I will need to find an alternate route for Elk Pass.

What are alternative route plans for the spots with 10’+ of snow?
I am watching the snow depth map every day. It’s melting away quickly. Hopping for most of it gone in a few weeks.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey gang…I am looking for trail status reports and possibly some crews of people headed through this route at a similar time frame.

I am starting at Lowman, headed north to Lolo. My wife and two boys are coming along. This is our first overland trip. We are going to the Sawtooth Valley Gathering June 19-23. Starting at Lowman on June 24th.

We will be in a Green 24 Bronco Everglades. I have a winch and I am bringing a chainsaw. Sounds like choker chain and winch will come in handy. I don’t have any coms and won’t have any by the time I’m out there.

At this point my plan is to head north as far as possible and bail out and back track if things become impassable dues to snow or my chainsaw abilities allow.

I am watching the snow depth map every day. It’s melting away quickly. Hopping for most of it gone in a few weeks.
Oh we don’t have a plan. We’re wingin’ this trip. I’m hoping we get completely lost, as long as the cooler has beer and food.

Well basically get as far as we can, then back track and reroute if we have to.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

Maybe order a cheap beofeng handheld before your trip, just in case things go bad.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

This weekend’s storm looks to be hitting hard to the east of the area we will be traveling through.

MontanaDog

Maybe order a cheap beofeng handheld before your trip, just in case things go bad.

Reading up on radios now…seeing what’s available in my town and places we will pass through.

My local club uses GMRS radios.

FRS vs GMRS…UHF/VHF….this is out of my wheelhouse.

If I pick up a GMRS capable radio can I tune into bands you would use?

We are leaving town tomorrow. This rig is bigger than our minivan but also much much smaller. At least the cooler will hold enough beer.
I can’t wait to get out there!

IMG_1308.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reading up on radios now…seeing what’s available in my town and places we will pass through.

My local club uses GMRS radios.

FRS vs GMRS…UHF/VHF….this is out of my wheelhouse.

If I pick up a GMRS capable radio can I tune into bands you would use?

We are leaving town tomorrow. This rig is bigger than our minivan but also much much smaller. At least the cooler will hold enough beer.
I can’t wait to get out there!

View attachment 173667
We will be on UHF/VHF bands (also called HAM radios) but I have a GMRS radio with me as well.

crawldaddy

I just saw this. We will have a group of 4 on motos starting on the 22nd. We will be leaving Logan Sunday morning then skipping Jarbridge and jumping on dirt. First night camp will be near Anderson or if lucky Trinity Lake. Here is a snow report from today. Hopefully it melts, the Magruder was my favorite section last year. IMG_5689.png

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just saw this. We will have a group of 4 on motos starting on the 22nd. We will be leaving Logan Sunday morning then skipping Jarbridge and jumping on dirt. First night camp will be near Anderson or if lucky Trinity Lake. Here is a snow report from today. Hopefully it melts, the Magruder was my favorite section last year. View attachment 173776
That’s excellent news. It’s supposed to snow some more tonight and tomorrow, but hopefully it melts off at least a little from where it is now before we get to the Magruder
Thanks for that update.

MontanaDog

Let us know when / where people are starting. I will be starting at Lowman on 6/25 (Tuesday).

I picked up a GMRS Midland mxt275 and a pair of midland frs handheld radios. Still reading the manuals on how to use them. Let me know what channels you’re using.

Travel safe! Stay hydrated….it’s going to get hot.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Let us know when / where people are starting. I will be starting at Lowman on 6/25 (Tuesday).

I picked up a GMRS Midland mxt275 and a pair of midland frs handheld radios. Still reading the manuals on how to use them. Let me know what channels you’re using.

Travel safe! Stay hydrated….it’s going to get hot.
We’re starting in Jarbidge on Saturday. Meeting the 3rd member of our party in Yellow Pine Monday evening.