ifs toyota build

krany

kranberry
i picked this truck up about a month ago and i finally feel that its worthy of doing a build up on it. so the plans are simple;
leave it ifs
fit a 33" tire
make it wheel with the rest of them.
attempt to compete with it next season...delta lucas regional....so on so forth.

specs so far
93 toyota ex cab
3.0 v6 stock drive train
cranked the torsion bars(long travel setup in the works)
full 6 point cage
braced up the ifs in the front
bmw m3 seats( yes they are powered and heated.....gotta wheel in comfort and luxury:cool:)
corbeu 5 point harnesses
giant sun roof with rag top:greg:
on to the pics

the day i bought it
IMG436.jpg

this truck was used for hunting. the bed on the back was used to hold his dogs.i almost dig the bed and may keep it. just modify to hold part/food/beverages of the sort:confused:
IMG444.jpg

giant sun roof
IMG445.jpg

IMG442.jpg

and this is where i forgot to take pictures....
i stripped the ghetto cage and the bed off threw down a 4 dollar paint job with some rattle cans and proceeded to build a cage. it turned out sorta like this, only 75% complete :eek:
IMG479.jpg

IMG483.jpg

she dont flex to good yet but she will soon
IMG495.jpg

my to do list
build front bumper
build sliders
tie cage into frame and sliders
finish the cage( rear seat bars and over head cross bracing)
build new lowers using t100 cv axles
buy air bumps and maybe coilovers for the front( to go with the long travel)
modify the dog bed for practical use??
relocate fuel tank behind cab( tuck up into dog box if dog box is used)
weld the rear end
new rear shock mounts
f-toy style rear shackles

thats it for now...

krany

kranberry
thing was so hideous... i think when it gets a some body armor and i finish the cage throw some decent wheels and tires on it, pop some dents out it might not be too bad. thanks, i think the ifs has potential.

sixstringsteve

sweet. The cage is looking good. Not as good as the original cage, but good. ;)

I'm sure the before and after threads will be quite telling.

What are your plans for the ifs? Keep the torsion bar setup, or run a strut/coilover?

krany

kranberry
sweet. The cage is looking good. Not as good as the original cage, but good. ;)

I'm sure the before and after threads will be quite telling.

What are your plans for the ifs? Keep the torsion bar setup, or run a strut/coilover?
i threw that cage off the back of my red truck at the scrap yard and it broke in half. well constructed quality cage if you ask me.

i would like to figure a strut or coil-over setup. but for the mean time it will just be a torsion bar setup till i figure out the coil over stuff.

UVRUGBY

ah very nice!! Im excited to see this build just because I am in the same process of building my '90 PU keeping IFS. So you should take detailed notes and pictures of that process when you get to it. :D

I think it was ugly, but that bed does have some potential, and glad to hear that the roll cage lasted as it fell to its death :rofl:

are you going to continue to build this at the low range shop?

krany

kranberry
ah very nice!! Im excited to see this build just because I am in the same process of building my '90 PU keeping IFS. So you should take detailed notes and pictures of that process when you get to it. :D

I think it was ugly, but that bed does have some potential, and glad to hear that the roll cage lasted as it fell to its death :rofl:

are you going to continue to build this at the low range shop?
more detailed pics are to come as the truck evolves.
yes i will be, thus because it is the place of my employment

krany

kranberry
one step forward 2 steps back is what it seems.
i finnaly got around to tearing apart my front diff to find out whats wrong. it seems that the spider gears have failed and so have the ring and pinion. but on the bright side.....i machined down the cv axle bolts so when i do break a cv i will not have to remove anything other than the hubs to undo the clip and the bolts that hold it to the diff, IF YOU HAVENT DONE THIS ALREADY I WOULD MAKE IT YOUR NEXT TO DO ON YOUR IFS TOYOTA.

sixstringsteve

i machined down the cv axle bolts so when i do break a cv i will not have to remove anything other than the hubs to undo the clip and the bolts that hold it to the diff, IF YOU HAVENT DONE THIS ALREADY I WOULD MAKE IT YOUR NEXT TO DO ON YOUR IFS TOYOTA.

Got any pics? I'd love to see what you mean. I'm having a hard time understanding what you did.

krany

kranberry
the studs that hold the cv axles have a 17mm head on them followed by some splines that hold it to that flange. these studs are easily pressed out( by hammer or big socket and c clamp) once you get all six out you machine or grind the splines off making them into a regular bolt( or replace with regular bolt)
here is a crappy video of me machining one, it is very difficult to hold my phone and work a lathe( yes i know it was in ****-eyed and it wasn't a precision deal so i didn't bother)
IMG518.jpg