Is a semi-float 14 bolt worth anything?

STAG

On my grind
As the title states. I happened to become an owner of something that came with a semi-float 14bolt axle. I think it’s from an ‘84ish Chevy.

8x6.5” bolt pattern. Currently drum brakes.

Are they desireable at all more than scrap value?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
SF 14 ≠ FF14 though. Zero interchangeable parts, to my knowledge.

And the deal-killer for me are the super necked-down axleshafts on the SF. They break at the neck-down (naturally), and being a C-clip axle that makes for an awkward day.

They're fine for DD use in the trucks they came in, but aren't desirable for anything other than that.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I plan on using Dutchman shafts to make it a 5 on 5 pattern and redrilling the 6 on 5.5 factory rotors. I like the factory drum parking brake and rotors. Keeps everything a simple swap into the LJ which has the same set up.
It’s obviously not as strong as a FF, but it’s plenty strong for a daily driven rig on 37s. Being disc braked helps prevents c clip issues if you do brake a shaft. Then again, I’m such a pansy driver I’ve never broken an axle shaft or u-joint before, so even this axle will be overkill for me. 😂

Reactions: DAA

The_Lobbster

I swear I saw somebody on here recently use one on their build. Can’t remember who or what though. But I do remember thinking, that’s definitely different.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
He's currently staggering around with Carl's knife in his chest. :rofl:

- DAA
And knowing Carl he's smiling about it.

If being a 14ff owner makes you a peasant, I'm not even sure what to say about the metric 14...
You ever play the card game Scum? We are always trying to come up with new names for players when we have too many playing.
King
Queen
Lord
Peasant
Scum
Woman
Dog
14 Bolt Owner
14 Bolt SF Owner

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I have 100% seen a sf 14 bolt axle shaft snap and do its best d35 impression. It was like Frank's dad who went to get cigarettes at the corner store and never came back. Sad thing is someone had swapped it on purpose into a 80's something Blazer.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
And knowing Carl he's smiling about it.

You ever play the card game Scum? We are always trying to come up with new names for players when we have too many playing.
King
Queen
Lord
Peasant
Scum
Woman
Dog
14 Bolt Owner
14 Bolt SF Owner
Dude I haven’t thought about that game for like 20 years. I need to teach my family

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I think for reals I want to build a mower like Hickey posted. If you've got an axle that needs to disappear, I offer free removal.

STAG

On my grind
I think for reals I want to build a mower like Hickey posted. If you've got an axle that needs to disappear, I offer free removal.

So currently it’s installed in what I bought that it came with. It’s functional as-is, so I was only really interested in replacing/upgrading it if it was worth some to offset the costs of the new axle.

Knowing that it’s not worth diddly monies, I think it’s staying in place for at least a little while. As upgrading that axle isn’t high on my need-to-do list right now.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
So currently it’s installed in what I bought that it came with. It’s functional as-is, so I was only really interested in replacing/upgrading it if it was worth some to offset the costs of the new axle.

Knowing that it’s not worth diddly monies, I think it’s staying in place for at least a little while. As upgrading that axle isn’t high on my need-to-do list right now.
Weld the carrier and do rad burnouts. Post on innernettzz. #winning