is this dumb? (caddy as tow rig question)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
So, the engine probably has the power. Is the cooling system going to keep the engine cool towing up a steep hill in July? Is the transmission going to be able to stay cool towing the same hill? Can the brakes stop the car and trailer in a reasonable distance? What about tongue weight? You need to put some tongue weight on it to make the trailer track right. Can the tires on the Cadillac handle that weight? Can the rear axle? Can the springs? Can the frame (unibody)? What about emergency handling? It it long enough and heavy enough to be able to not be passed by the trailer in an emergency maneuver?

I don't think it's a good idea. If you do it, make sure you never tow more than the stated tow limit, or if (when) you get in an accident your insurance company will not cover you. Also, get an equalizer trailer hitch to help distribute some of the tongue weight.

Post pictures.

grinch

inner city redneck
A couple of the ol off road rags used to talk about building tow rigs out of these cars.... It was circa 2000 ish but its been done. Ide shoot for a truck myself...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
An old friend of mine had a 60 something Deville--that car was seriously over 24' long! He pulled a two place horse trailer and our dirt bikes everywhere with that car :greg:

I'm sure you could more than do it safely with a good receiver and rear springs/bags rated for the weight. I would run a good rear diff oil and look into a brake controller. Oh and post pics :cool:

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
That Toronado hauler reminds of this one...
neonhaller1.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Do it Cody.
The only thing I would bring up is trailhead access. Make sure you can overfill the airbags for some lift/clearance while entering and leaving the trail head parking areas. I think your toy buggy will be under 4k, so we will build you a single axle 6k lbs custom trailer for it.

It will be badass +.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Game on!!!

This is one of the most titillating ideas to float onto the board in a while. I'm stoked to see it. Any of those old torque barges are awesome, one towing a buggy would be awesome squared. :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Do it Cody.
The only thing I would bring up is trailhead access. Make sure you can overfill the airbags for some lift/clearance while entering and leaving the trail head parking areas. I think your toy buggy will be under 4k, so we will build you a single axle 6k lbs custom trailer for it.

It will be badass +.

Nah, build a tandem axle super-lowrider trailer like Ranch used to (probably still does) tow his TJ around on.

I'm thinking the tandem axles will be nicer for trailer-sway reasons, as well as flat-tire redundancy. :)

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Back in the day there was a guy out of NY that used to pull his 5.0 mustang behind a mid 70s lincoln. He would hit up all of the fun ford events with that thing and it did pretty good considering.Then again, i'm a Ford guy.

As long as whatever you buy has a TH400 or C6 i dont think trans will be an issue beside age/use of vehicle. Gearing and suspension, brakes would need a little help though, especially anything thats 30 years old.

FWIW, Ive seen 2005 basic F150s in good shape, go through auctions as low as 2800.00;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Cody, you must ask yourself one question. Do you enjoy roadside repairs?:p

No, but would a $1500 2wd chevy beater pickup be any more reliable?

So, the engine probably has the power. Is the cooling system going to keep the engine cool towing up a steep hill in July? I don't know, but this can be upgraded

Is the transmission going to be able to stay cool towing the same hill? I don't know, maybe? Factory tow package had a inline tranny cooler.

Can the brakes stop the car and trailer in a reasonable distance? With trailer brakes I would think it would be managemable
What about tongue weight? You need to put some tongue weight on it to make the trailer track right.Not sure, but won't the air bags help with this?
Can the tires on the Cadillac handle that weight? no, but they aren't exactly a gigantic expensive size to replace with something that can
Can the rear axle? 12 bolt? It's got to be better than a 35c that I towed with before ;)
Can the springs? air bags
Can the frame (unibody)?HD boxed steel frame
What about emergency handling? It it long enough and heavy enough to be able to not be passed by the trailer in an emergency maneuver? over 22 feet long, 130" wheelbase, and just under 5000 lbs--is that much different from a 1/2 ton v8 truck that lots of people tow with?

If you do it, make sure you never tow more than the stated tow limit, or if (when) you get in an accident your insurance company will not cover you. Also, get an equalizer trailer hitch to help distribute some of the tongue weight.
Tow limit is 7000, so I should be within that. Obviously there are lots of "I don't knows" up there in red, which is why I made this post. I'm also fully aware of what it's like to tow with a vehicle that shouldn't be towing, but the caddy is longer, heavier, and more powerful than the ZJ I towed with and I 'want' to believe that the airbags will only help.

You'd be stupid to NOT do this.

Well, it's something I'm looking a little into. Who knows, it would be bitchin if I could pull it off though :D

GOAT

Back from the beyond
but would a $1500 2wd chevy beater pickup be any more reliable?

not in the least. i think a caddy or lincoln would do fine as a tow vehicle if properly equipped. however, the age and condition of all the components would have me sweating the whole trip.

what about an el camino? the conquistador package brought teh sexy.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I guess these things came with either a th350 or th400....those are decent transmissions right?