It's official, Government takes over the internet

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
The FCC granted itself the right to regulate the internet. I don't agree with this.

The five commissioners voted 3-2 along party lines in favor of the proposal known as net neutrality. The 332-page plan, which has not yet been publicly released, bans broadband providers from blocking, throttling or prioritizing certain Internet pages over others.

I do agree with this.

jentzschman

The FCC granted itself the right to regulate the internet. I don't agree with this.

I do agree with this.

I get their desire to crate equal playing field, but when google has the right to see the ~332 pages bill and tweak it without We The People being able to see it first, there is a major flaw. The whole intent of this so called plan was to keep big corporations from seeking control through deals, yet google has its fingers in the cookie jar! What the hell is up with that. obamacare for the internet. "we must pass the law to see what's in the law" (so many curse words come to mind with this BS)

Not to mention, what is wrong with the internet now anyway? The FCC claims they want a fair ground so smaller businesses have the same advantages as larger ones, well as I see it, they do already, it's called free market. This is what drives innovation and growth, not someone else telling you what and what-not to do.

Make my words, the internet as we know is lost unless we fight back. On the flip side, perhaps this will spur a "new internet"...

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm sure I only understand a bit of what this ruling does but a big part of it was the ISPs wanting to charge companies for a faster connection. I.E. the data that netflix offers is used a lot. The ISPs want to charge netflix more money to distribute that data and if netflix doesn't want to pay then their data will get throttled. In my mind its a lot like what is going on right now with cell phone data. If I buy an unlimited data plan but use over 2.5 GB then TMO will drop my speed into the ground to discourage my use. I don't think that the ISPs should have the ability to determine who needs to pay for a faster connection. Sure netflix and google certainly have the $$$ to pay for that service but at what point does it trickle down to the small or local companies that are servicing something I can't go somewhere else to get. At what point will RME's ISP say the site generates X amount of traffic and they need to pay double or triple the money to service the connection.

That is what I think is BS and I also think that this preserves fair market. Everyone will have the same speed connection without having to pay a premium.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Does this mean I may actually be able to watch a netfix movie without it freezing up?