Political I've gotten more texts... (Bewilder vs LDS church)

Political discussions within

The_Lobbster

Looks like the name has changed to CuraLeaf, but there was/is a “medical marijuana” dispensary in Provo called “Deseret Wellness”

I wonder if they changed names due to a church thing too. Their website still has the original name though.

IMG_1440.jpeg

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Looks like the name has changed to CuraLeaf, but there was/is a “medical marijuana” dispensary in Provo called “Deseret Wellness”

I wonder if they changed names due to a church thing too. Their website still has the original name though.

View attachment 168789
My buddy has a custom Gun Holster company called Deseret Tactical. But I guess the church doesn't really frown upon guns.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It will certainly be interesting to see if they extend their "rights" into all areas of the branding?

If I'm not mistaken, Bewilder's case landed on their radar because they had submitted a trademark application and the church's 3rd party legal team likely gets notified of those. Sans that it likely wouldn't have come up? @Cody could clarify.

The same thing has happened in the Overland realm with Jeep's parent and a clothing company going after any "Overland" businesses that try and trademark their name. Some have fought and somewhat won but at great cost.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
That was my understanding as well. Not to defend the church on this (I don’t care to at all) but I’m glad they aren’t suing the pants off Cody. With how litigious the world is anymore, I’d almost expect that instead of a “hey, chill on the trademark” situation.

I’ll pray for you heathens to stop your evil ways 🤣

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Not to defend Cody, but this is straight from the corporation side of the Church.. and eff them. I am also glad that they just sent a warning.. but They don't own the ancient language.
I've got my own demons to work through when it comes to certain things.. and sticking a thumb on the little guy does not help.

rholbrook

At the end of the day it boils down to the cost to defend it. I am sure there are a lot of organizations willing to do this pro bono. Some people will stick up the middle finger anyway. This is one of those deals where even though I frequent the predominant church here in the state of Utah, I would raise the middle finger. The word Deseret means honeybee and is a symbol of hard work. Cody has put a lot of blood, sweat, tears and sleepless nights into his own little piece of DESERET.

Was it your trade mark application that pushed them into sending the letter? I personally would keep it.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
At the end of the day it boils down to the cost to defend it. I am sure there are a lot of organizations willing to do this pro bono. Some people will stick up the middle finger anyway. This is one of those deals where even though I frequent the predominant church here in the state of Utah, I would raise the middle finger. The word Deseret means honeybee and is a symbol of hard work. Cody has put a lot of blood, sweat, tears and sleepless nights into his own little piece of DESERET.

Was it your trade mark application that pushed them into sending the letter? I personally would keep it.
Yes, it was the trademark application that sent them the bat signal.

Craft beer has always been about local. Locals want to drink local beer, and tourists want to try local beer. Fresh beer is better and local beer is fresher. This beer was conceived to be a Utah beer. We wanted it to be the most local it could get...the recipe was developed between us and the manager of our homebrew shop. All three of us grew up in Utah. It used barley grown outside of Logan, and malted just west of here by Solstice Maltings. It used local honey and then we named it Deseret to tie the honey and the history and the locality of it all together. It opened up a dialogue opportunity across the bar to travelers that would call it "desert" ipa, and then we could explain the significance of the name here in Utah. It was interesting and fun and was never meant in any way to poke fun at the church (those names are fun, but I try to avoid them as I want people to view our brand as respectful to our community).

Anyway, whatever. Lawyers have offered to take it on pro-bono, and it could potentially win and could potentially bring us lots and lots of publicity. But in the end, as much as I like money, I still want to feel good about how I went about making that money and I'd rather people buy our beer because it's awesome and not because of people's desire to be spiteful towards the Church in any way possible.