#iwannagofast ZJ build

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
The roll pin will typically only come out one way, So make sure your trying to pound it out the correct direction.
yea that was something I was sure to research before starting this; on the SD60, you have to go from the gear side of the carrier towards the non-gear side. The hard part on this though is that the roll pin hole is just about flush with the seal surface of the diff, so you cant quite get a straight shot at it, and definitely not anything with a handle aka prison shiv modified screw driver

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Got a lot done in a short amount of time tonight. Took the front end apart, and threw the Torq locker in. Took a bit of fancy maneuvering to get the springs in, but once I figured out the move, it went together really nicely. Don’t have any RTV, so II’ll have to wait to close the front diff back up.
754C0AD4-CF92-460E-8B36-76E269768961.jpeg

So then I turned my attention to the getting the shafts the rest of the way in, unit bearings bolted up, snap rings back in place, and hubs reinstalled. No brakes yet, but I had to throw a wheel on to check for clearances, and because it’s pretty cool to see all back together.
25CB2F5F-03D1-4331-B678-4692583DF5AA.jpeg

Next up:
-brakes/brake lines
-waiting for trackbar bracket delivery, then it’s time to finalize all that steering stuff
-shorten driveshafts
-fluids
-mount 37s to bead locks (above pic still has old 35)
-trim fenders

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Somehow, the list just keeps getting longer. I know not all of these items are critical for Delta, but quite a few are. Also, some of those are just for me to remember to do them, like install the skid plate. Just a 10 minute job, but it still needs to be done at some point after the drive shafts are in, and if it’s not on a list, I’ll forget about it.

032A906C-B8FF-4512-B443-9873EF404AFE.jpeg

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
current situation: looking down the trackbar. The TRE on the pitman arm won’t get any closer, as it will swing toward the front of the Jeep. I *might* be able to sneak the trackbar in right between the TRE and where the front of the diff will end up when it gets stuffed up, but that only leaves about 1.5” between the trackbar and oil pan at ride height. (please excuse my nasty welds.)

0DDBF551-D57B-485E-9D3E-A3A8B2C132D7.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
I had big plans for this weekend, but my body had other ideas. Apparently eating like crap, getting no sleep, and being beyond stressed about everything under the sun isn't great for your health. So instead of getting all the things done on the ZJ, I got absolutely nothing done on it. I didn't touch the Jeep once. Which is a bummer, because Saturday was the last day between now and Delta that I did not have anything else planned. So its looking like time is quickly getting away from me. I know I have quite a few people who are willing to help me out, which is greatly appreciated, but I just don't see it happening before Delta :(

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I had big plans for this weekend, but my body had other ideas. Apparently eating like crap, getting no sleep, and being beyond stressed about everything under the sun isn't great for your health. So instead of getting all the things done on the ZJ, I got absolutely nothing done on it. I didn't touch the Jeep once. Which is a bummer, because Saturday was the last day between now and Delta that I did not have anything else planned. So its looking like time is quickly getting away from me. I know I have quite a few people who are willing to help me out, which is greatly appreciated, but I just don't see it happening before Delta :(

Take care of yourself first and foremost, that's the most important thing. Your family is relying on you to be there for them.

It would have been great to get the Grand up and working for the Delta Classic, but it's not going to be the end of the world.

Just say the word when you're ready for that build party!

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
*IF* it was ready, I would have zero seat time in it, and it wouldve been entirely untested. Delta is no place to for for a test run, at least not for me. also, I'm sure that some corners were going to need to be cut to get to that first course. Not worth it to me. I am dissapointed in myself, but it is what it is.

Thursty

There is nothing more important than your health whether it’s physical, mental or emotional. Take care of yourself, be there for your family. Everything else will happen when it’s supposed to. I’d be glad to help if I can when you’re ready to get back to work.

Last edited:

Coco

Still struggling with packaging the steering components, but at least my bead locks are 100% done
View attachment 148746View attachment 148747
Next time you do beadlocks, no need to strap the tire. Just turn it around, and press in on the wheel with your foot. That force will seat the back bead, and it will air right up. Your front bead is clamped by the ring, so it should be no problem.

Last edited:

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Next time you do beadlocks, no need to strap the tire. Just turn it around, and press in on the wheel with your foot. That force will seat the back bead, and it will air right up. Your front bead is clamped by the ring, so it should be no problem.

yea it may not have been necessary, but all it took was an extra minute per wheel to strap up.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Spent a couple hours in the garage last night. Originally, the Jeep sat on 3" springs. I've always liked the stability of a low rig with a wide stance; super stable, super predictable. Looking at how everything was sitting, I knew this wasn't going to be enough, especially if I wanted to drive at any kind of speed off road. I came across some 2" coil spacers for $free.99, and threw those on last night, along with some front bump stop extensions. They definitely gave everything a little more room to move. Will it be enough? only time will tell. I need to get this on a ramp, trim the fenders, and set the bump stops up.
BB.jpg

I also bolted the wheels up so I could see how the backspacing looks, and I think its going to be just right. I pulled out the stock front axle shafts with the 1480 u-joints, and replaced them with F550 shafts with 1550 u-joints. yea, the 1480s most likely would've never given me any issues, especially on 37s, but for like $330 shipped, the F550 shafts not only give me a stronger u-joint (~30% stronger at the ears and joint), but also a TON of turning radius. (I'm going to hold onto the 1480 shafts for spares as well). You can get around 50* of usable steering angle before the shafts start to bind. That being said, I'm going to have to limit that. I don't want to have these operating at max angle, since that's when they'll be at their weakest, but also, because I will have to basically remove all the sheet metal from the front half of my Jeep to get full steering range throughout the full range of suspension travel. I do have a 10" PSC hydro assist ram that I'll get around to setting up eventually.
f.jpg turn.jpg

And then, there were shocks. I doubt anyone who knows me will be surprised that this build will be getting some Falcon shocks. Since Falcon doesn't make a ZJ specific shock for some reason (lol), I'm going to have to make something else work. The front shocks are going to be a tight fit; I'm still trying to figure out how to fit a piggyback shock in the stock location that doesn't interfere with the coil, and isn't severely limited on travel, due to mounting locations. The rear is a bit more open, but still not great. This pic shows the rear drooped out to the point that it will have dropped a coil by this point. The upper mount is stock, and the lower shock eyelet is sitting on the axle tube. The lower mount will be below the axle tube, hopefully not so low that its a rock-grabber. However, the upper mount is still in question. I want to move it up higher into the wheel well, but i do not want to cut into the wheel well. Maybe some kind of shock tower? I do have to watch out for the fuel filler hoses, which can just barely be seen to the right of the stock upper shock mount. I also have to watch out for clearance with the inside sidewall at full compression. It's always something.
shock.jpg

Last edited: