Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

These guys are killing it with new products. This one seems like it would allow more room under the tub, and incorporates lower suspension points.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

These guys are killing it with new products. This one seems like it would allow more room under the tub, and incorporates lower suspension points.

I've seen that and like it, but my hesitation is that I already have most my link mounts and don't mind setting up those parts. Plus, it's a pretty big cost over just buying a skidplate. I realize it'll make the suspension setup much easier, just don't know that I need it?

That Motobilt kit is nice. I agree with Hickey, looks like it has space for an Atlas.

Here is another option since we are bringing them up - this one you could buy just the subframe. It would probably be similar to the Motobilt: https://goatbuilt.com/product/tj-lj-buggy-chassis-kit/#chassis-configuration

Pretty awesome options there!

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I would add, that the 4-link under the front of my TJ has a few compromises. These kits do not. Since you have yet to put the motor in, you have the flexibility to make an LS live with the perfect suspension geometry. Not that you can't do it on your own, but these kits take out the guess work (if you want a 4-link)

Greg

Admin
I would add, that the 4-link under the front of my TJ has a few compromises. These kits do not. Since you have yet to put the motor in, you have the flexibility to make an LS live with the perfect suspension geometry. Not that you can't do it on your own, but these kits take out the guess work (if you want a 4-link)

I'm planning on a 3 link, 2 lowers and 1 upper, plus a track bar. Thats how my old TJ was setup and as you can see, it had impressive travel and flex. But yeah, the LS engine, exhaust and driveshaft placement will also dictate where the upper link ends up. It's hard to plan suspension setup at this point in my build. Need to get the front half frame welded in place, then setup the engine/trans/t-case. I have a long way to go.

Greg

Admin
The radiator, grill and other related pieces have been pulled and the 2.5l engine and 5 speed transmission are out!

i-fbMPt6L-X2.jpg

So I'm debating on where to cut the tub. I measured from the top of the drop rail back, first 16" then 18". I set the seat in place (but it will be about 4-6" higher) to get an idea of how much room inside the tub will be left. Ideally, I'd like to have a little bit of space for storage back there.

i-KLDSnVC-X2.jpg

i-PzVMMSQ-X2.jpg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
You stated earlier that you planned to use a DE ram. That is a perfect recipe to lose the trackbar and go 4-link up front. My TJ was previously a 3-link; going to 4-link made the suspension more balanced and predictable. I think the 3-link might be a touch more street friendly if you're using traditional steering (with hydro assist). Is your mind set with the 3-link design?

Greg

Admin
You stated earlier that you planned to use a DE ram. That is a perfect recipe to lose the trackbar and go 4-link up front. My TJ was previously a 3-link; going to 4-link made the suspension more balanced and predictable. I think the 3-link might be a touch more street friendly if you're using traditional steering (with hydro assist). Is your mind set with the 3-link design?

You have a point, my old TJ had full hydro with a single ended ram and the 3 link.... I never felt that it wasn't predictable though. Making the 4 link work with the V8 exhaust could be very interesting. On my previous TJ, the exhaust was ran down the side opposite if the upper link.

Wasn't @MikeGyver looking for an AX5?

I believe he was! Hopefully he wants the engine, too! :D

Reactions: DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You have a point, my old TJ had full hydro with a single ended ram and the 3 link.... I never felt that it wasn't predictable though. Making the 4 link work with the V8 exhaust could be very interesting. On my previous TJ, the exhaust was ran down the side opposite if the upper link.

I believe he was! Hopefully he wants the engine, too! :D
Put the upper frame mounts outside the frame.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
There wouldn't be enough triangulation to ditch the track bar, like @Mouse is suggesting. And I don't know that there's room on the axle housing to do that.
The kits that have been mentioned all allow for a proper geometry 4-link front in a TJ. I might have pictures, but a better way to address the question of how to route an exhaust would be to speak to one of these shops. These kits are probably mostly used with LS-swaps.

RockChucker

First, I've been happy with my 3 link and don't think that they are necessarily disadvantaged to a 4 link until you start to get into some much higher travel for go fast stuff. Mine cycles about 16" and I think the amount of axle shift side to side is predictable and acceptable. I do have a long track bar though (which you should also be able to do with your ORIs). But if exhaust is your limiting factor for whether or not you do a 4 link, do some mock up when you get the axle rolled under and drivetrain set. I believe both the Goatbuild and WOD Jeep chassis are 4 link front...It is possible to package. Factory LS3 manifolds have a rear dump that is just about straight down. Depending on where the upper links are placed, it may be possible to run those and either do twice pipes or cross the driver side over the transmission and collect them on the passenger side. Just some food for thought. I don't remember if you had a set of headers you were planning on running or not. Factory truck manifolds would work too, but they generally dump right into the firewall and may take more work to route exhaust from them.

Greg

Admin
First, I've been happy with my 3 link and don't think that they are necessarily disadvantaged to a 4 link until you start to get into some much higher travel for go fast stuff. Mine cycles about 16" and I think the amount of axle shift side to side is predictable and acceptable. I do have a long track bar though (which you should also be able to do with your ORIs). But if exhaust is your limiting factor for whether or not you do a 4 link, do some mock up when you get the axle rolled under and drivetrain set. I believe both the Goatbuild and WOD Jeep chassis are 4 link front...It is possible to package. Factory LS3 manifolds have a rear dump that is just about straight down. Depending on where the upper links are placed, it may be possible to run those and either do twice pipes or cross the driver side over the transmission and collect them on the passenger side. Just some food for thought. I don't remember if you had a set of headers you were planning on running or not. Factory truck manifolds would work too, but they generally dump right into the firewall and may take more work to route exhaust from them.

I agree about the 3 link vs 4 link, I was quite happy with my 3 link. I don't remember what I had for trackbar length, but it seemed to track well.

I do have shorty headers for the LS already, but I'm not sure how well they will work in the TJ with the Motobilt front half frame, engine mounts, etc. We're really talking about stuff that has too many unknowns as I'm simply not anywhere near mockup stage yet. There is a LOT of work to do before I can see how things are looking far as where links fall, header/exhaust routing, etc.

i-BtJZ58P-X2.jpg

And how they fit in the Willys....
i-gHBJtCP-X2.jpg

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I put a full 4 link front and an LS into my Scrambler and it was fun getting the exhaust in. With the added width of the TJ frame it would be a lot easier than my old CJ. I frenched the upper link mounts into the frame and used aftermarket narrow frame rear dump headers to get enough clearance. I only cut into the thin inner frame metal and boxed it all back together. It handles very well on and off the road.

Greg

Admin
I put a full 4 link front and an LS into my Scrambler and it was fun getting the exhaust in. With the added width of the TJ frame it would be a lot easier than my old CJ. I frenched the upper link mounts into the frame and used aftermarket narrow frame rear dump headers to get enough clearance. I only cut into the thin inner frame metal and boxed it all back together. It handles very well on and off the road.

Very cool, Dave! Good to know what it took. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.