Left knee telling me get a slushy

XJEEPER

2 feet......2 pedals
I don't miss the manual trans.

That being said, if the knee is headed south anyway, you might get a better ROI on treating the knee.........

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Dang, I read that all wrong! My knee tells me when it's time for a Slurpy. Sounds good so I'm off to 7/11. :D

How can you figure a 2:1 ratio for the torque converter, but figure infinite slippage for a clutch? :confused:

My votes depend on your immediate budget. If you can swing the 8.1, then that's the obvious answer. :greg:

If not, probably a TH400 with a doubler of some kind and your 205. Either a 203/205, or one of the planetary options in front of the 205. I don't think you'll be terribly happy with the ratios you're looking at otherwise. I was really happy with my 48:1 in my last buggy (TH400, 3.8 Atlas, 5:13's)...but then again, you have a bunch more torque than I did, so you can get away with a bit lower ratio. So maybe I'm wrong. :rofl:

Infinite only when I'm slippin' the clutch on purpose, which I've been known to do on occasion in recent years. For many years I was no-slip, none of the time. Then after watching some of the guys with manuals at the rock crawl comps (early days) I decided what the heck, it's just a clutch.

700R4 couldn't even handle an anemic small block in the early days. Over the years, they were improved enough to handle most small blocks. I wouldn't ever put one behind a big block.

On the knee, don't give up hope. There are several knee ailments that respond well to PT.

I definitely need to get to the knee doc, just to know what's going on. It's pretty manageable, been this way for 25+ years. Sometimes worse, sometimes better, sometimes much worse. Better since began taking glucosamine in '01. But apparently unhappy at the moment.

change the clutch linkage to a hydraulic one and it will be softer to push in... specially if you get one that multiplies the force.

It's been hydraulic from the start, bought the 4cyl scrambler for that very reason. It has the stock CJ master/slave arrangement, pushing on the same clutch fork used in the 70's chev trucks.

or you can just got to the gym more and work on strengthening the knee... god knows your arms don't need anymore work! lol

:D the arms get less work than the legs do. The knee itself is pretty strong (I still do reps with 405 on parallel squat). Hammy's are pretty strong too. Leg extensions make things worse so I stopped doing them years ago. So does running, biking, hiking so I have to moderate those activities. Squats keep things tolerable.

2 feet......2 pedals
I don't miss the manual trans.

That being said, if the knee is headed south anyway, you might get a better ROI on treating the knee.........

I agree. I'd like to see what's going on and what the options are, it's been nagging for long enough, but not enough to really limit what I do.

Dang, I read that all wrong! My knee tells me when it's time for a Slurpy. Sounds good so I'm off to 7/11. :D

Mmmm, slurpy.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
....That being said, if the knee is headed south anyway, you might get a better ROI on treating the knee.........

Not sure if I've had anything fixed or if it's just accelerated the deterioration? Two times I needed some work done, it was a good thing. This last one, it sucks. I'm STILL not even close to 100% after 14 months. If they tell you you need to move your knee cap over, tell them to pound sand. I had a "lateral release" procedure. F*** that if you want to be active still. I can walk and I can somewhat jog, but nothing more than that yet.

Meniscus tears are not a biggie. If you've got a "catch" as you cycle (I've usually had a consistent "pop" somewhere in the cycle--don't even want to check nowadays), or pain that comes and goes you may have a meniscus tear. Everybody tells me I shouldn't have played football. I think I only hurt it once in football. Pickup basketball or organized basketball has been harder on my knees/ankles than anything else I know of. After arthroscopic surgery for a meniscus, you are strongly encouraged to walk on the knee after a day or two (sans crutches) and can get around pretty good after a week or so. Did I mention this lateral release sucks? I've never had issue with ACL or MCL (knock on wood). I can't do anything, so I doubt those will go anywhere?

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I just went to the doc today and found out I have a tear in the lesser know LCL. This doc knew his stuff, and was really great to work with, he intends to exhaust all means before he even says the word surgery. If you want his info let me know

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have had menicus tears in both my knees... scope done and walking the next day on crutches... they took half out of each knee... I would recommend that to anyone but like Marc said don't do the other surgeries..

thenag

I had a hand throttle on the bronco, i have not put one on the xj yet.

Damn fine control of the 460, and 120:1 feathering the throttle, clutch, and hard on the breaks.

Each foot on a pedal, left hand on the wheel, right hand on the throttle on the shifter...

Sucks about the knee, i hope it goes well.

Nathan

Hand clutch lever!

Bart

I just went through the series of 3 shots over 3 months in each knee to hopefully put off 2 full knee replacements for a couple of years. The last manual I had hurt right off the bat. I'm a slushy guy all the way. Once you go slushy you'll never go back.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
It's kinda sad watching you old farts getting older...... :rofl:

We should have just put the auto in it to start with. FWIW, I put the GM Colum shift in my CJ and really liked it.