lets see some welds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep80CJ7

post up your best welds. Heres one i did at work on some scrap metal. three pass vertical up. cooled in water after each pass to componsate for material thickness.

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
After years of practice, here's the best I could come up with. :-\

Attachments

• post-jbweld-732294.jpg
    post-jbweld-732294.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Depends on the temperature it was brought to. If my memory is correct-quenching steel can bring it into the martensite phase which actually makes it softer. Its better to cool it faster than the air will cool it however not so fast as to put it in the wrong phase.

Corban_White

Depends on the temperature it was brought to. If my memory is correct-quenching steel can bring it into the martensite phase which actually makes it softer. Its better to cool it faster than the air will cool it however not so fast as to put it in the wrong phase.

If steel is brought to ~1500*F (give or take depending on the carbon content) and quickly quenched (in oil or water) it becomes martensite. Above that temp steel changes the cubic structure which allows more of the carbon in the steel to dissolve into the iron structure. makes the steel very very hard but also very brittle. Martensite is the hardest phase of steel and also the most brittle. In order to heat treat steel, it is first turned into martensite and then heated to a certain temp. (depending on the hardness/brittleness ratio desired) and allowed to slowly cool. Since welding occurs at above 3000*F if the piece was quenched while it was still above 1300-1600*F it would have become martensite and would be very brittle (but also very hard). Generally it is a bad idea to quench after welding.

Chevycrew

I have never met a great welder or a great mechanic that thinks they are.

If you ask a old hand, they will tell you that they dont know what they are doing. When in reality they may be one of the best.

^^^Wow, that reads like crap^^^

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have never met a great welder or a great mechanic that thinks they are.

If you ask a old hand, they will tell you that they dont know what they are doing. When in reality they may be one of the best.

^^^Wow, that reads like crap^^^

I like those guys. Hope to be one some day.

Jeep80CJ7

Explain how you created these welds. What techniques and such.

Well my first pass i did a triangle pattern. burning straight into the root right above my two paused stops which created my puddles. then instantly straight back down pausing on each side making sure i have more time on the sides then the center to keep it flat. Second and third pass are just the z weave pattern. each pass I made sure my weld only went half way past the previous weld on each side. Not sure if that is a good explanation, but the best I could do.

And I only quenched the pieces of metal to make up for the size of the material. like I was taught in school. Doing a three pass weld like that without cooling on such thin material would make it way to hot by about the second pass and make the puddle hard to control. When doing this on thicker materials like it's meant to be done on i know and understand you would not quench it. bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.