LHM Bountiful, worst service department on earth...

DAA

Rant warning!

Okay... My Jeep caught fire, grass packed on the skidplate. After some drama, insurance company agreed to cover it, minus $1K deductible of course. So they had it towed to the nearest dealer, which was fine by me. LHM Bountiful is only a few miles from my house.

So... LHM Bountiful has had my Jeep for 7 weeks. SEVEN. WEEKS.

During that time, they provided essentially zero communication. I mean, comms blackout time. It was impossible, during the entire 7 week ordeal, to proactively get any updates or information over the phone. IMPOSSIBLE TO GET ANY INFO, AT ALL, OVER THE PHONE, FOR 7 WEEKS.

Every time either I, or the insurance adjuster called - and he called twice a week, BTW - anytime either of us called, we were passed to the service writer and it went straight to his voice mail and he NEVER RETURNED A SINGLE CALL. NEVER, NOT ONE CALL.

So, the only way either I or the adjuster could get any information was to visit in person. If the guy wasn't there, nobody else could or would help us. Just told we'd have to come back when he was there. Essentially none of the information we did get when we visited was ever accurate or truthful. It was always given in a very friendly manner and it always sounded good, exactly what I needed to hear. But it never turned out to have the slightest shred of truth to it.

Of course I went and complained to the service manager. He made lots of happy and encouraging noises. Very friendly. Told me everything I wanted to hear. The first time, my Jeep had already been there two weeks and they hadn't even started it yet - didn't even know what was wrong with it. But he assured me it would be done within a week. Well, five weeks and many visits later, with promises it would be finished either the next day or the end of the current week every time I went down there, they finally call and tell me it's done.

All of which, would make for quite an ordeal, in my opinion.

But! It's not over yet!

I've barely had time to look at the Jeep at all. But, for starters, my oil pan and transmission skid plate is missing. Half of the bolts that hold the transfer case skid to the frame are missing. Most of the work they did, was wiring. The only part of it I've looked at, just one tiny fraction of it, is total crap work and done completely wrong. I'll have to tear that out and re-do it. I'm very afraid of what I'm going to find when I actually have time to start looking at it and inspecting. The above is after the first five minutes... I went down there and raised hell, of course. Just got back. Typically, they don't sound like they have a clue, or any intention or way of doing anything about it. That skidplate that's missing is a few hundred bucks. I can totally see them just telling me to piss up a rope over it, too, based on how they have treated me so far.

So, no exaggeration folks. This is THE WORST service experience I have ever been through. Having your Jeep catch fire is an unpleasant experience. But LHM Bountiful has turned it into a total nightmare. Which, 7 weeks in, no real end in site. It's looking to me like I'll end up having to re-do their shitty work on my own dime.

I'm not sure if I could be less satisfied.

Stay away from there!

- DAA

Caleb

That sucks, but it's LHM so you can't expect much more than that. There's a reason I refuse to purchase any vehicles from LHM dealerships. I'll go out of state before buying from LHM.

D

Deleted member 12904

Sucks same thing happened to me at a repair shop on my Tacoma came back with missing bolts and skid plates. Of course they said it came in without them but I had pictures of it sitting in their lot and was able to point out it was all in place.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Id call the police if they aren't returned. It is theft.
If you can find out who exactly worked on it or who owns a jeep. Have a walk through their shop .
I know the stealership in Sandy has cameras in their shop.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
SUCKS! I feel bad for ya. And I almost kinda feel bad for THEM too....I wouldn't want to be on DAA's bad side. :p

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

Of course I went and complained to the service manager. He ......

wait, HE is the service Manager? It used to be a solid shop when there was a SHE in charge. Tina isn't involved any longer? Might have to swing by tomorrow morning to see about an oil change contract and refuse it since Tina isn't there

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I went through the same thing with my JK when the tranny lost a couple gears and I was trying to get it fixed under warranty. Same wait and expect calls but never get one. I did the same thing and went in and caused a stink. I emailed the GM and heard the same bs it sounds like you got.

The stupid thing is I just went through it again at LHM collision in Murray while I was trying to get my LX rekeyed. The service guy kept trying to pass the blame on the dealer or my insurance guy but when I called them they answered or returned my calls fast. I went in because he said he couldn't get the write up that had been done but still didn't submit anything until I asked when the bid has been submitted to my insurance and wouldn't hang up until he gave me an answer (he called my insurance guy while I was in hold...) I thought about complaining but honestly don't think it would help or even matter.

This really sucks Dave and I hope someone steps up and makes things right because it's just how it should be done. Good luck and keep us up on the details.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The LHM dealer in Riverdale has been great to me.

I had some emissions systems issues with my Ram 2500 CTD.

They diagnosed it and fixed without any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Dave, make sure your adjuster is aware of the crap you found when you picked it up, I am sure they keep some sort of list of who they can block when it comes to having claims work done. And I would think that if the work was not finished according to what was on the invoice there may be a fraud issue as well. Someone told me a while back that most dealerships dislike doing insurance claims repairs or 3rd party warranty work because it usually takes longer to get paid for the work, but definitely not an excuse to treat customers any differently.

DAA

Someone told me a while back that most dealerships dislike doing insurance claims repairs or 3rd party warranty work because it usually takes longer to get paid for the work, but definitely not an excuse to treat customers any differently.

I'll definitely let the adjuster know what's up. I don't know how it works in all cases, but LHM got paid IN ADVANCE by Progressive. They got checks for the estimated amount less my deductible LONG before they would even start looking at my Jeep.

I spent just a little while looking at some of the wiring last night, this is stuff I had added, lights, 12V outlets etc., that LHM re-did. They charged 5 hours labor for it. I'm going to have to pull ALL of it out and completely re-do it. The way they did it is so half assed and not even totally functional it's just ridiculous. I can see plain as day where the tech just went "okay, what is the absolute fastest, laziest way I can make this look done". Where I'd made individual runs of 10 gage wire for the 12V outlets, to run my fridge etc, he mad a single run of 12 gage for all three outlets. I'm still not sure what the heck he did to my LED backup lights, but they are getting such low voltage, I thought they weren't even working last night. But on a closer look, they do come on, just so dim you can't tell they are working from the driver seat looking in the mirrors. How low does the voltage getting to them have to be for that? And what kind of a whack, crap ass wiring job does it take to create such massive voltage drop?

Not thrilled...

Oh, and Tina is still there, but as a service writer again. No idea what the story is there. But she was powerless to do anything for me through this whole deal.

- DAA

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Is this the same place that presided over the cluster****** fiasco of your last truck purchase ?

DAA

So, after calling a couple times yesterday and not being able to get any info or a return call I went back last night before they closed. They had indeed found my skid plate and claimed to even have the missing hardware. Asking why, if they had the stuff, it had not been installed did not receive a satisfactory answer, but, whatever...

Anyway, kind of a long story I''ll try to keep short. When I pulled up in my Jeep, the sales manager came hustling out to make me an offer on it (offered me $17K, not as a trade in, just straight up give you $17K for it right now). That led to my telling him why I was there. That led to an not entirely pleasant meeting with the sales manager, the service manager, the service writer and the tech. For whatever reason, the service manager was clearly intimidated by the sales manager, which I enjoyed. That ended up with everyone, plus a handful of other techs and service writers, all swarming under and around my Jeep while I point out all the stuff they did wrong or simply failed to do.

All I wanted was my stuff. Was adamant they weren't touching my Jeep again. I'd install the stuff they left off and re-do their chitty wiring myself. Just give me my stuff so I can leave here and never come back. To cut to the end, they talked me into leaving it there and letting them do it.

I sure hope I don't end up feeling dumb for letting them have another chance at it...

- DAA

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Thanks for the update. Maybe they'll put their good tech on it this time around. (every place has their reliable one, right?)

D

Deleted member 12904

Thanks for the update. Maybe they'll put their good tech on it this time around. (every place has their reliable one, right?)

I feel this same way, Even about the company I work for. Every place has guys that are amazing but they are in high demand and then you have the guys that can do good work but sometimes just don't. Its a roll of the dice often who you get and how they take your job on. The crappy part is the price is the same for either of them.