LT's Wild RamCharger

LT is new to the board, He just joined up. He is from my hometown of Los Alamos NM and we both wheel up here in Utah alot. He is a wild guy. He has been into wheeling along time. He has owned several built to the hilt CHevys, and a few Dodges. Right now he has a 87 Dodge Ramcharger which he calls his beater. The motor is a 360 bored over 0.3. He got real happy with the Sawsall and cut tons of the body off, including the roof, and front and fenders. He has a roll cage that is under fab right now. He now has a dana 60 going in for the front and a Corp 14 for the rear. He has Hydr. steering and a bunch of other stuff. He has new tires, 42 Irocs and beadlock rims.

I let him tell you about it. Here are his pictures:

Attachments

• post-458-1192815070_thumb.jpg
    post-458-1192815070_thumb.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 185
  • post-2784-1200531333_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531333_thumb.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 57
  • post-2784-1200531413_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531413_thumb.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 55
  • post-2784-1200531439_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531439_thumb.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 54
  • post-2784-1200531476_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531476_thumb.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Most excellent!!! Your Beater is a whole new machine!!!! I am going to have to make it down to Safari just to see all of the new upgrades you have made to the beast now... but how am I going to be able to see them all if I can't make it under the rig??? I guess you are just going to have to drive up onto Cheston's 47 in the lot or something for me so I can look under it without bending.... since I won't be able to bend at all!!! lol :D
Can't wait to see it!!! Keep up the good work brother!
- Matt

LT.

I have the camper, truck and and some other stuff loaded on the flat bed ready to go. Here are a few pictures of everything.

LT.

Attachments

• IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 14

LT.

The only thing that I did not do was mount the CB. I really just could not decide on where to put it. In between the spreader bars would see like the best choice but, I really don't want it mounted where the cord would be in my field of view. On the tranny hump it may pick up some road noise from the tranny or T cases. So, I will be doing some home work while at EJS trying to figure out where I want it mounted. Until then it will stay out of the beater. Anyone have any good ideas?

LT.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
The only thing that I did not do was mount the CB. I really just could not decide on where to put it. In between the spreader bars would see like the best choice but, I really don't want it mounted where the cord would be in my field of view. On the tranny hump it may pick up some road noise from the tranny or T cases. So, I will be doing some home work while at EJS trying to figure out where I want it mounted. Until then it will stay out of the beater. Anyone have any good ideas?

LT.

Just duct tape in to the roll bar.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
I saw a couple pics of your rig at the BFE trail run, wish I could have come down just for that. so ......... how was it? Ill bet your rig really blew your mind with all the new mods youve done.

LT.

Yep, my mind was blown. Not in a good way, though. Everything that I did on the front end was a total bust. Nothing worked like I was thinking it should. Trip started out bad and went to horrible quickly.

First, I dropped the camp trailer on my foot before I ever got it loaded. Not a good start. Second, I had the muffler on my tow rig blow out at the muffler. I really did not know why the truck was getting louder on the way up to Moab. I just chalked it up to working the motor a little harder than usual. Next was when I drove the rig to the RME run on Greenday. I got the shocks charged (thanks Steve) and we were noticing that the drivers front shock was making contact with the steering shaft. Funny, I thought as it never did in the shop, but maybe the trail was doing things that I could not replicate in the shop. Next the frame ripped where the track bar bracket was. It was later found that I did not brace it nearly enough. I also had more than one person tell me that my upper links should have been run inside the frame rails instead of outside. I can't remember the two fellas names that did an excellent job of a trail fix. Sorry gentlemen, I suck at remembering names. Both were construction workers and one had a killer Ramcharger buggy, red in color. Next, I had a few broken studs on the front axle. While I was trying to drive them out I broke my left thumb. I hit it hard enough that the hub also broke. My thumb was between the hub and the 4 lb hammer I was swinging. Then I ended up breaking a 1/2" drive, 3/4" socket I was using to install the lug nuts on the new studs. I could not find any humor in the fact that I was breaking the tools that I was using to fix the broken parts. While I was trying to get to the Poison Spider trail head I noticed a funny bounce to the drivers front tire and the steering was not as good as I remembered it. 50 yards after the parking lot I heard a snap. That would be one of the bolts stripping the threads out of the box. One and a half hours later I was able to limp the Beater back to camp. This would end my wheeling, never actually have gotten to wheel a trail. Yesterday afternoon, I was trying to load the Beater back onto the trailer. 20 feet from the trailer the steering box, that was hanging on by three bolts, broke all the rest of the way from the frame. Turns out I could not even get the broken rig on the trailer correctly. I smashed my right thumb in the winch and had a heck of a time even getting the sucker on the trailer.

The trip sucked as far as my wheeling went. I never got out on the trail in my own rig. Broke my exhaust on the tow rig, broke my left thumb, smashed my right thumb, dropped the camper on my right foot, broke my front suspension, and steering on the Beater, and in general have never had a worse trip. The only bright spot on the trip was meeting folks and re-newing some old friendships. I can't thank those who put up with me while I was trying to keep a somewhat positive attitude.

LT.

Bart

WOW, so sorry to hear this, but I'm guessing this is one trip you won't forget. Bummer about all the problems, but you are so close to having a great rig. Almost every rig needs tweaks and adjustments after such a radical upgrade. Hang in there and step back from the rig for a while. After that you have a pretty clear idea of what needs to be fixed and changed. It will be an awesome rig. Get it out a few times after that to test everything and next year will be the trip of your life. Get well soon.

kawzx10

Thanks for letting me come over and check out your rig and give me some ideas for my rc. I still think your rc is cool seeing yours gets me exited to work on mine. It was good to meet you and chat with you for a bit. Im pretty new to 4wheelin and its people like you that make this sport so easy for me to like it more.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
HOLY CRAP!!!

I honestly was speechless after reeding your post!
I dont know if you could have had worse luck?
I agree with bart 100%, it realy is super difficult to make that many changes, without having a few problems that need tweaking.
hang in there man, It can only get better from here. & like bart said your just a few tweaks away from having a killer machine.

ID Bronco

That is a bummer, I would just part it out.

Just kidding, I feel for you, it is an awesome build, I hope I can see it when you go back with the needed repairs. Hope you heal up quickly.

LT.

Thanks for all your kind words y'all. In just a few weeks it will be headed up to Idaho to Casper Customs for the finishing touches and tweaks. Some things I learned along the way. First, the front end is not a place to try and learn four links. Second, 15" wide Pitbulls and mechanical power steering do not mix well. Anyone else thinking about it at least go with hydraulic assist at the least. Third, if you run upper links make sure they are inside the frame rails. Forth, keep all breather lines well away from exhaust. If you think it is far enough move them farther away. Fifth, do yourself a favor and have the shocks charged before you try and drive 20 or so miles from base camp to Area BFE. Sixth, if you are going to run a track bar make darn sure you have that sucker braced well. Also, make sure that the frame can handle the stress that the track bar is going to be putting on it.

While the Beater is at Casper Customs she will be getting full hydraulic steering, and a different front four link. Hopefully triangulated lowers this next time out. And if I have enough money I may even have the rear cage finished.

If it was not for bad luck I would have had no luck this last trip out. But, all the same, this was the first and only year that I have had such rotten luck. So, I guess I should not complain too much.

LT.

LT.

I need to add this little tid bit of information. For some reason last year I thought that it would be a good idea to enter for the 2010 Ultimate Adventure. Well, while I was at Moab I got a call from Rick Pewe telling me that I was in the top ten to get that chance to attend. Now, obviously while at Moab I learned a few things and I had to call Rick to tell him that it was with great regret that I needed to pull out of this years Adventure. I thought that an adventure like that was not the place to be working out the bugs on any rig.

LT.

Bart

Wow, bummer you can't do the Ultimate Adventure, that would be so cool.

BTW, I'm a little confused. I may have read it wrong but did you say you have a 4 link in the front of the rig with a track bar???? If so, that would be the cause of ripping the bracket off the frame.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
BTW, I'm a little confused. I may have read it wrong but did you say you have a 4 link in the front of the rig with a track bar???? If so, that would be the cause of ripping the bracket off the frame.

Bart, will you please explain this for those of us that don't follow what you are saying?? :confused:
Thanks buddy!
- Matt

LT.

Wow, bummer you can't do the Ultimate Adventure, that would be so cool.

Yeah, the front four link is a parallel set up. Equal length uppers and lowers that are not triangulated. Kind of like the front end of a Jeep Cherokee or a newer Dodge 3/4 ton or larger truck. The track bar was not well braced and even though the welds were good the track bar bracket ripped the frame.

I called Rick Pewe and told him of my learning experiences while at Moab this last time. I informed him that I was sure that there were folks that were more deserving than I that should go in my place. While it is possible to have the truck fixed in time I don't think that there is enough time to have it fixed, tested, and paid for. Let alone have enough money saved up for the trip. Testing on a trip like the Ultimate Adventure does not seem appropriate.

On another note. I am now selling both 440's because I think I am just going to build a stroker small block. I should be able to get 400+ hp out of the small block and about 460+ lb of torque. More than enough. I also ordered headers for the small block. I figured Corey might want them in place to build the suspension around them.

LT.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
more like build the headers around the suspension. most long tube headers wont work with a link setup unless your freaking high in the air or chop them up,or have some one build a set.

should have saved your money for the bill your going rack up. lol

you know what you need to fix, your smart and can fix it yourself.

or save a crap load of money and fly me and ches out there and we will get it workin right. :D

but if you are going to take it to idaho you better stop and say hi !

LT.

more like build the headers around the suspension. most long tube headers wont work with a link setup unless your freaking high in the air or chop them up,or have some one build a set.

should have saved your money for the bill your going rack up. lol

you know what you need to fix, your smart and can fix it yourself.

or save a crap load of money and fly me and ches out there and we will get it workin right. :D

but if you are going to take it to idaho you better stop and say hi !

At this point it is not worth the headaches anymore. No less than a half a dozen times I was wanting to burn it to the ground. Learning four links on a front suspension is not a good idea. Now I know my limits and am willing to accept them. The headers were a nessassary evil. I will have to have them on the new motor and thought it would be a good idea to have them on this motor to check for clearance issues. Corey will have quite a bit of rein on this front end. Whatever he can make work is what we will go with. It was time to let a professional handle the work and for me to bow out and accept defeat. I gave it a shot and was unable to make it work like I wanted. I feel no shame as I did give it my best shot.

The bill should not be all that bad. I already have most of the pieces needed and the like. Corey just needs to make it work better than I have it. The only pieces I will need to buy is the full hydraulic steering and assorted parts. It really should not be all that bad.

LT.

Bart

Gotcha on the front 4 link, but with the track bar you could easily get away with a 3 link/track bar set up. I was assuming that you'd triangulated the 4 link.

LT.

Gotcha on the front 4 link, but with the track bar you could easily get away with a 3 link/track bar set up. I was assuming that you'd triangulated the 4 link.

No, I should have though. After a lot of head scratching I decided to pull a Jeep Cherokee into the shop and take a look. I also ended up pulling my dually into the shop just to make sure that I wasn't going to mess anything up too bad. I tried to copy the suspension but make the arms a little longer. Looking back now I should have just left the leaf springs in and taken it to a shop to have the front figured out. The rear went together so easily I thought I could do the front as well. Lesson learned.

LT.