LT's Wild RamCharger

LT is new to the board, He just joined up. He is from my hometown of Los Alamos NM and we both wheel up here in Utah alot. He is a wild guy. He has been into wheeling along time. He has owned several built to the hilt CHevys, and a few Dodges. Right now he has a 87 Dodge Ramcharger which he calls his beater. The motor is a 360 bored over 0.3. He got real happy with the Sawsall and cut tons of the body off, including the roof, and front and fenders. He has a roll cage that is under fab right now. He now has a dana 60 going in for the front and a Corp 14 for the rear. He has Hydr. steering and a bunch of other stuff. He has new tires, 42 Irocs and beadlock rims.

I let him tell you about it. Here are his pictures:

Attachments

• post-458-1192815070_thumb.jpg
    post-458-1192815070_thumb.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 185
  • post-2784-1200531333_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531333_thumb.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 57
  • post-2784-1200531413_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531413_thumb.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 55
  • post-2784-1200531439_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531439_thumb.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 54
  • post-2784-1200531476_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531476_thumb.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

LT.

Guess what else showed up today. Give up? My cross over steering and my high steer kit! Cool, right?!

LT.

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 24

LT.

The steering pieces are fantastic looking. The welds on the high steer arms are increadible (you have to understand that when I weld it looks like someone sneezed on it). I can't wait to get them on.

LT.

LT.

Okay, the steering went in without a hitch and I cannot believe how well it works! I also am finding it nesassary to give Off Road Design some props. The kit was perfect in just about every way possible. The only thing that I had to do was cut the tie rod down a half an inch on both sides. Not bad for parts that are made for a solid axle Chevy and put on a solid axle Dodge.;) The parts were perfect, the sales advice from Steven Watson was perfect, and the install was perfect. How often does this happen?! Next is the rear suspension and maybe even a transfer case doubler. This is to help off set the longer wheel base that the Beater will be sporting (this way I will only have to re-order a front drive shaft).

LT.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Speaking of your transfercase... which one are you running?? There are new kits out there that use the gear box portion of an NP-241 and then you can adapt it to the NP-231, if that is what you have... That would be a much cheaper alternative to a doubler if you are interested!
Just an idea for you!
Matt

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Oh no, I could not be that lucky. C'mon, you know me why would that ever happen to me. I have a NP-208 transfer case.

LT.

I will look into it for you if you are interested! The kit is only $500 and I am sure you can get a 241 from a junkyard for a song! I will check it out and let you know!
Matt

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Things sound like they are going well. No more bump steer for you...That is great!! Now you will feel more confident in the obstacles.

My advice is before you spend any more money on making the rig more capable, you first spend money on safety. You have the roll cage parts....put them in:eek:. The trouble with making the rig more capable is that you will want to push the truck to do more and more challenging obstacles...and with that comes inherant risks. It was pretty scary watching you do Potato Salad without a cage, If you flip over, that roof is going to collapes in like aluminium foil and Squirshh your body into a bloody mess. That is enough to ruin any wheelin trip. I just saw a Bronco, who had more roof that you, roll and the whole roof caved in to the door frame trapping the guy inside, He suffered laserations and cuts after the had to tear open the truck like a can-opener.

So before you spend anymore on suspension, gizmos, and do-dads, I would invest in the most important piece of equipment, somthing that keeps you alive and in one piece. Remember, its not IF you will need a roll cage, but WHEN. And When is before Moab.:);)

This is your safety officer signing-off....

LT.

A roll cage huh? Yeah, I may get to it sometime before Moab, not too sure if time will allow. Time is getting short and even after a new O-ring on the dip stick tube I still have a tranny leak.:mad: I had all the confindence in the world going up Potato Salad Hill. I had the best spotters out there telling me what to do and how to get it done.;) The problem with the cage is that it is close to fitting but not close enough. It actually may be easier just to start over than to try and make this one work. I will have to get a better look at it to make sure, though.

LT.

Bart

Lots of wisdom in Stan's comments. No matter how good or how much you trust the spotter, you're going to push the limits of the rig. Better safe than sorry, especially if you're carrying family.

LT.

Lots of wisdom in Stan's comments. No matter how good or how much you trust the spotter, you're going to push the limits of the rig. Better safe than sorry, especially if you're carrying family.

No family for me. I am just a lone Red Neck. I think that a roll cage is a good idea, I just don't know if I will have the time. I don't have the tools and I know that I don't have all the knowledge. I bought a cage from Jeg's that is NHRA approved, 10 point cage. It was built for a Dodge pickup but I figured that the front of the Beater and a pickup are close enough to make it work. It is really close, I really just need to fine tune and cut some of the pieces to length and notch them. Then I need to get my buddy to get enough time to burn it in.

LT.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
A roll cage huh? Yeah, I may get to it sometime before Moab, not too sure if time will allow. Time is getting short and even after a new O-ring on the dip stick tube I still have a tranny leak.:mad: I had all the confindence in the world going up Potato Salad Hill = Review Youtube video # 2, sure looked like you were going to pitch it. I had the best spotters out there telling me what to do and how to get it done.;) The problem with the cage is that it is close to fitting but not close enough. It actually may be easier just to start over than to try and make this one work. I will have to get a better look at it to make sure, though.

LT.
Your the one who always say you can make things fit....Mr. Sawzall!!!:rofl: It can't be that tough, and it will sure be worth it when it saves your a$$ from being squirshed like a bug. You have lightened that truck so much and cut so much metal out of it there is not much structural integrety in the cab, so when you pitch it over it will compact you so that your upper pair and lower pair of cheeks will meet, ....and that's a bad thing.:eek:

Last edited:

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
No family for me. I am just a lone Red Neck. ....And what is Tiffany, Ground beef???;) I think that a roll cage is a good idea, I just don't know if I will have the time. I don't have the tools and I know that I don't have all the knowledge. I bought a cage from Jeg's that is NHRA approved, 10 point cage. It was built for a Dodge pickup but I figured that the front of the Beater and a pickup are close enough to make it work. It is really close, I really just need to fine tune and cut some of the pieces to length and notch them. Then I need to get my buddy to get enough time to burn it in.

LT.

Even if you are a lone Red Neck, when you wipe out it becomes everyone's problem, we are the ones who have to put the rubber side down and get you stitched up. I have had to do quite a bit of first aid on the trail, and had to rush a few to the Hosptial, and that can put a damper on any fun wheelin trip.

Last edited:

LT.

Even if you are a lone Red Neck, when you wipe out it becomes everyone's problem, we are the ones who have to put the rubber side down and get you stitched up. I have had to do quite a bit of first aid on the trail, and had to rush a few to the Hosptial, and that can put a damper on any fun wheelin trip.

Easy there killer............ I am going to try and see what I can do. However, I still am unsure if I have the knowledge and skill to make it work. It is so close and yet so far. Trackin'? I don't have the right tools, equipment, and know how. It would be like asking the wife to write her name in the snow. See what I mean?

LT.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Easy there killer............ I am going to try and see what I can do. However, I still am unsure if I have the knowledge and skill to make it work. It is so close and yet so far. Trackin'? I don't have the right tools, equipment, and know how. It would be like asking the wife to write her name in the snow. See what I mean?

LT.

10-4 . Just lookin out for you bro. If you were closer we could nock it out in a week end.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Or you could just hire me out for a couple days, we could get a tubing bender and I could just come down there and make it for you!!!!
MAKK Daddy Style!
Just another idea to throw out there for you!
Matt

P.S. I will bring some armor plate!!!!!;)

LT.

That would be an idea, but, I am more worried about you and the "projects" you have going on at home. First things first. I will try and call you this weekend as soon as I get the chance.

LT.

jesse

Masshole
how much lift was that on the dually and what happened to your rear hubcaps? It sounds like you don't have kids but is that quad cab big enough? I've sat in the back of one once and it was pretty tight.