LT's Wild RamCharger

LT is new to the board, He just joined up. He is from my hometown of Los Alamos NM and we both wheel up here in Utah alot. He is a wild guy. He has been into wheeling along time. He has owned several built to the hilt CHevys, and a few Dodges. Right now he has a 87 Dodge Ramcharger which he calls his beater. The motor is a 360 bored over 0.3. He got real happy with the Sawsall and cut tons of the body off, including the roof, and front and fenders. He has a roll cage that is under fab right now. He now has a dana 60 going in for the front and a Corp 14 for the rear. He has Hydr. steering and a bunch of other stuff. He has new tires, 42 Irocs and beadlock rims.

I let him tell you about it. Here are his pictures:

Attachments

• post-2784-1200531333_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531333_thumb.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 57
  • post-2784-1200531413_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531413_thumb.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 55
  • post-458-1192815070_thumb.jpg
    post-458-1192815070_thumb.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 185
  • post-2784-1200531439_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531439_thumb.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 54
  • post-2784-1200531476_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531476_thumb.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Another update. 440 source was not the greatest experience that I have had. I tried to spend money with them but, all I got was an answering machine during work hours. Not a good way to try and get business. So, the motor will be staying as it is. No rebuild, unless I run into something bad in it, just throw some new gaskets in it, fuel injection, headers, and we're off. The stock 410 horse power will have to be enough. Today, I am going to have my buddy in the Jemez order all my parts and joints from Blue Torch Fab. I spoke to a fella on the phone on Friday and he was VERY helpful. Answered all my questions and was cool enough to explain everything in lamans terms for me. The upper joints will be 7/8" QA-1 joints and the lowers will be 1 1/4" joints. For the tubing we are still up in the air as far as wall thickness and overall tube diameter goes. Does anyone have any ideas?

LT.
Hey there brother!!
Sounds like you are getting things rolling, literally, on the Beater!! Wish I could be there to help with the work for you!!!
My recommendation for tubing size would be 1/4" wall DOM for the upper links, and atleast 3/8" wall for the lower links. Nice and beefy, a little heavy, but you won't have to worry about them bending or breaking, even if you set the entire weight of the vehicle on one bar!!! The heims are up to the task so don't skimp on the material!!
Just my additional $.02 for what it is worth... Hope it is working out well for you and can't wait to see the pics!!! That 440 is going to be sweet in the Beater!!!:greg:
Later brother,
Matt

Bart

Nothing more frustrating than trying to buy something and not getting any service. Sounds like a good plan B.

LT.

Not bad eh? I spoke to the folks at Blue Torch Fab again today, and was again impressed with the customer service that they have. I spoke to Jason Carner and a just can't begin to tell everyone just how helpful he was. I think that the parts will get ordered today. My buddy (i.e. brother) will be ordering the parts for me because it would appear that I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to the four-links.

Here are some pictures of what I have been working on for the last few days.

LT.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 30

LT.

is that the shop you are building in????

Looks very nice!

Yeah, that's it. It has two lifts, one alignment rack and two bays that are pull thru. Both Ramchargers are in the pull thru bays so it was easier to work on them both. Right now my Ramcharger is sitting on stock springs front and rear and is also on my little 235's so I can roll it around. I sold my old suspension to my little brother. I also sold him my old bead lock wheels and he is getting some 33X12.5X15's to put on it. Nothing major but it is his first vehicle.

LT.

LT.

The shop makes everything easier. The time flies there and the company could not be any better. Good friends, good times, just an awesome place to spend time.

I got rid of the 15" wheels after listening to the folks here on RME. I got the impression that I had too much side wall on my tires. Going with a larger wheel would lessen the tire hop that I was always getting, and should give me some more stability in off camber situations. I still want to watch the weight on the Beater so, I figured I would go with the Trailready aluminum beadlocks to help save some weight. Now, the real question is should I go ahead and pop for 5 or just buy the 4?

LT.

N8RB8R

The shop makes everything easier. The time flies there and the company could not be any better. Good friends, good times, just an awesome place to spend time.

I got rid of the 15" wheels after listening to the folks here on RME. I got the impression that I had too much side wall on my tires. Going with a larger wheel would lessen the tire hop that I was always getting, and should give me some more stability in off camber situations. I still want to watch the weight on the Beater so, I figured I would go with the Trailready aluminum beadlocks to help save some weight. Now, the real question is should I go ahead and pop for 5 or just buy the 4?

LT.
I always regret not buying the fifth, go for it!

LT.

I think that I may go ahead and get the spare, just in case kind of thing. Most of the time I end up wheeling with family and friends. So it really is not that big of a deal to plug up the tire and continue on. But, for those longer trail runs and the overnight type trips the spare could come in real handy.

LT.

LT.

Well, after much debate and him hawing around I got the parts ordered today. It would appear that since I have been the only one, between my brother and I, to talk to Jason I ended up ordering all the parts today. I am waiting on an email from Jason to confirm that parts list and then the parts should be on their way. The rear will be a double triangulated rear suspension and the front will have triangulated lowers and straight uppers. Joints will be 1 1/4" lowers and 7/8" uppers. Tubing will be DOM 2" lowers and 1 3/4" uppers, all with 1/4" wall. I am really getting excited as the parts start to pile up in my living room. A HUGE THANKS needs to go to Jason Carner and his shop, Blue Torch Fab, for all the help along the way, I would not be able to do this without their knowledge and advice. I will post up pictures when the Blue Torch Fab parts shows up. A big thanks also needs to go to CasperCustoms, Bart, ChestonScout and Sprueitt. Thanks for all the advice along the way.

LT.

Last edited:

LT.

Well, after exhausting all my extra funds, all parts have been ordered. Blue Torch Fab was an excellent shop to deal with and I would highly recommend them to anyone who may need brackets, joints, or tabs. I will take photos when the parts arrive.

LT.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
Looking forward to seeing all of the parts there LT!!! Just curious... what made you go with 1/4" wall for all the links instead of thicker wall for the lowers? Also do you know how long the links are going to be approximately yet?? I am definitely looking forward to this build and wishing I could be in on it!!!:( Maybe you will still let me do the body work!!!;)
Keep up the hard overtime.. it will be worth it in the end brother!!!
Matt

LT.

The link size was what was recommended by the fella at Blue Torch. The tubing adapters are for that size. I may end up going with more wall thickness as the time approaches. We will just have to see how much this rig will weigh when it is all done.

LT.

LT.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. I ordered the parts on May 28th and Blue Torch Fab has come through and sent all of my parts. They came in yesterday. I was going to cancel the order due to the threat of being laid off but, I did not get the information on time to do so. With a grand total of $2,308.47 in parts including joints, jam nuts, tubing inserts, shock hoops, shock brackets, upper link mounts, lower link mounts, rear axle truss with pinion guard, and bat wings. I hope that is enough.

LT.

LT.

Here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg