Making a monster...

rholbrook

When I first read it I thought you said 200 FOOT lbs and I was thinking, "no wonder you idiot", then I reread and saw INCH lbs. Most head bolts are tightened to 20 ft lbs so it blew just under where it would have been good at.

Drill it, tap it and run a heli-coil in it and use a lot of loc-tite. I am sure it will hold. Put some bailing wire and duct tape on it for insurance. Did it strip at the case?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
UPDATE

Last night with the help of turbohaulic we set up the cylinder head in our mill at work and drilled a new hole and tapped it for a Time Sert. Time Serts are pretty awesome and I tracked down a metric set from one from one of the guys on the off shift--NICE! :greg: Tonight is the moment of truth--I hope it torques down good this time! :ugh:

That said I'm a little side tracked at the moment.... I finally quit compromising and bought the bike I've wanted from the start. 3rd gen aluminum frame CR set up for single track :greg:
DSC02261.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So............how many/what kind bikes do you currently own?? :eek: :D

I know... I get asked that a lot! LOL :eek:

In truth I sold most of my vintage bikes to fund this CR500 build--and that was worth it to me. I love the vintage bikes, but I don't race so 99% of the time they just sat there wasting away :( I'm bailing on my RM250 Saturday morning and that will pay for the new CR.

After Saturday I will have the 560 ATK, the CR500 and the CR250--and a mound of random parts/projects :rofl: I have a 81 CR450 in parts that will likely be my next years winter project!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The Time Sert worked very well and the head is now on and ready to go! :cool:

Just a few odds and ends left before I can fire it up and get the jetting sorted.

Starting to come together now!

DSC02262.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
For whatever reason I had cold feet and wasn't too anxious to fire this thing up :rolleyes:....

Today I overcome my fears and uncertainties. I mixed some fuel--hit the de-comp button (a godsend btw :greg:) and two strong kicks later she roared to life. Jetting is off the radar, but its rich so that's good. Hopefully I can tune it in/lean it out this week.

I CANNOT WAIT to open her up and see what all the port work and head mods did for the top end horse power! :greg: Good times!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Little by little I'm been bringing the jetting down. I find its much easier/safer to bring it down from being to rich than to bring it up from being too lean :p Because the bore size, carburetor, porting and head are completely different I was in uncharted territory... Well I think I nailed it today!!! :cool:

I have also adjusted the race and static sag on the rear shock and the spring I ended up with couldn't have matched my weight or the recommended settings better. The forks match the rear shock exceptionally well and the whole setup is lightyears better than what it had on it last year.

Right now any gear--almost any RPM the front wheel will easily pull off of the ground. Although I have only had it on dirt roads and out in the field the handling is very stable and I cannot wait to see how it acts out in the desert.

Next up is hopefully some new tires and a full size rear fender. I wasn't trying to fit into the freestyle crowd--I actually broke it off and had to trim it back a bit :rolleyes::rofl:

DSC02563.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Very nice! :cool: I need to get the 480 running again.........it's a ways down the priority list though. :(

Thanks! Yes get her going! We all need to get together and head to the dunes one of these days :D

That CR250 looks amazing, hopefully I can see it in action this year. ;) The CR500 isn't bad either! Nice work!!

Thanks! I don't think I'll ever give the two strokes a rest! I was tired of fiddling around with weird/lemon bikes so I bought my no compromise CR250. It has almost everything I want in a dedicated single track bike but dang it feels REALLY low on power compared to the 84 LOL :hickey:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
LOL looking back.... after all that time and anticipation the poor ol' 500 has sat in the garage all summer and only moved long enough for me to sweep the floor :(

I rode turbohaulics 93 Yamaha WR500 (2 stroke) for quite awhile on the single track the other day and I absolutely fell in love with it and I couldn't help but remember how much fun I've had on my 84 :cool: I personally think the big bore 500 2T's make excellent trail bikes. They have a ton (understatement to say the least) of power, but they also have very predictable and usable bottom end grunt--with such a wide spread of power you can ride all day and rarely (if ever) shift gears.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I realized I never followed up on this thread :ugh:

I went with my family and a good friend to the Wy Badlands before winter hit with my CR for the first decent ride since the rebuild. Everything worked out much-much better than I had expected. The suspension work was top notch. It was terrible before and now it feels very modern, tuned and plush. The motor has always been a rocket but it had a horrid light switch power band. Now it is smooth, crisp, predictable from top to bottom and has what seems like endless rev :cool:

My two brothers and my friend all ride Honda CR500's. The black one is pretty cool. It has major porting, a modified Cool-Head, a 44mm Lectron carb and is set up for alcohol and direct port nitrous. My dad who is in his late 50's rides a 99 KX500.

Camp pics. Forgot my camera during the times we went riding lol

photo-6.jpg

IMG_0604_zps4dd79961.jpg

IMG_0601_zps8fb21436.jpg

IMG_0603_zpse1c4163a.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I placed an order with http://www.sudco.com to get a needle I'm after along with a bunch of random spare carb parts for my riding pack. I figured I'd better mention they're tough to beat for price and availability on all Keihin and Mikuni parts :cool:

Turns out Steahly offers both a 12oz flywheel weight (this bike desperately needs one) and a decent wattage lighting coil for this ol' bike :freak:

Sweet thread.

Thanks! :cool:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Some friends of mine invited me to go duning with them in late March at Little Sahara.. An excuse to actually ride the CR ? :eek: YAY!

Looks like I need an air filter and a good tune up. I'm hoping to get the flywheel weight as well. I scored this cool knobby/paddle hybrid. I'm hoping it works well in the somewhat rocky dunes down south..

I think we're going on the weekend of the 21st if anyone is interested in joining :cool:

photo-25_zpsa0981919.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Spent a long weekend at Sand Mountain with some friends from work. No pics but the weather was outstanding.

My CR500 was rockin' up sand mountain. 4th gear in powerband up the steep side :cool: Rode all over and the jetting looked/felt great and everything seemed really nice. I rode it back to camp and managed to break the forks internally resulting in zero dampening. As for me I'm starting to think I'm too old for this bike anyway. Every single bone in my body hurts right now. Time to get back in shape :rofl:

Last edited: