Maldito's 99 4Runner Build

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Sounds like an afternoon well spent! We're going up Old Ward on Friday after work. Trooper hasn't seen dirt in ages...

I won't be able to go Friday because work will interfere with. But take pics of the trip. It looks like the trail is passable now all the way to the top. But I didn't try it though, I just hiked it.

Do you find yourself driving the runner or the tundra more these days?

I think I split my time driving the two equally, sometimes I go a week or two driving the 4Runner but then I'll put it away and drive the Tundra a week or two also. I try not to drive the 4Runner as much but it's fun to take it around.

Looks like fun!

Yeah it was very fun, I didn't realize how much I needed to take a day off like that. Pretty relaxing.

Troop92

I should clarify, we're going up sometime Friday AFTER we take the day off to fix/mod our rigs. Ah, a Friday off, a big gulp, and wrench in hand. Perfection.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Have any of you ever had to fix your cigarette lighter or 12v plugs? The 4Runner came with 3 up front and 1 in the cargo area. But mine only works on the actual cigarette lighter and the other 3 don't work. I checked the fuses but none of them are blown. So I'm guessing I have to pull apart the plastics to check the contacts? Not sure, I suck at electrical stuff.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah the cigarette lighter comes on when I open the switch but the other 3 don't supply any power.

dutchman

KI7KSV
Haven't had to fix mine as I've been able to use the cigarette lighter and the other two up front. Never tried the one in the rear, but I'll plug something in and see if it works.

I would imagine fixing them would involve pulling the plastic like you said so you can get to the back of them.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks, let me know if yours works. And if it does we can trade plugs :D lol

I'll see if I can fix it over the weekend, I need to pull the panel apart anyways to run some wires to the back. Kind of debating if I should install a separate 12v plug anyway for a dedicated source. But I don't want to order online since I want to fix it this weekend, do local shops sell plugs?

hoosier

mtn yot
In my burban (I know not a runner but just and example) I have 3 power outlets and 2 of them are tied into the doorlock fuse and the other is on its own fuse. Just saying might be something to look at.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
do local shops sell plugs?

Yes, but they're crap. I like to use Blue Sea plugs, they're on Amazon for not too much.

If I remember right, I blew a fuse on our '99 and it took out all the dash plugs at the same time, so if one of them is working then it won't be a fuse. You'll have to take the dash apart to get at the backs, it's probably loose connections.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks guys, I'll check the accessory fuses and the doors and such to see if one of them might be the culprit. If all else fails I'll try to remove the dash panels to track down the issue until I replace them with some quality plugs.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Last weekend I took a drive up Farmington canyon to see how the drive was. The roads were smooth and dry all the way to the top gates

13961402150_280d871de8_b.jpg

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Got my accessory plugs fixed. Turned out it was a fuse that I overlooked the first time around. Now that I've replaced that I've got power again. Then I jumped the relay to have constant power even with the ignition off but I don't really trust the relay jump so I will probably just go and buy a fuse block and set up an independent 12v outlet for the back.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
So during this downtime that I haven't been wheeling I took care of a few tasks. To start with I finally installed a muffler on the 4Runner, since the one that was on there when I bought it got ripped off while on Constrictor last year lol, I wouldn't say that was a bad thing :D but at least now it's back to a normal decibel.

Second thing I took care of is I added an ARB compressor that I picked up from Kurt a little while back. So now I have OBA so I can air up and down when on the trail without having to worry. Also because I can now air up a flat tire if I happen to get one again when in the middle of nowhere.

Next up is I want to build bumpers for it but I'm just having a hard time getting the motivation to take the stock ones off and mock up a new pair.

Troop92

Ah, downtime. Nice to get things hooked up or replaced. I'm in the same boat with bumpers, one day I'm all in, the next I'm whining about how much work it'll be. :D

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I really need to make a front one for better approach angle and clearance but it's more involved and I am undecided on how I want it to be. The rear one I think will be much easier with what I have envisioned but that one isn't as necessary right now. I may just go ahead and do the rear one though so I can at least knock it off the list.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'll say I've been enjoying the 4Runner these past few months that I havent been doing much of any updating on this thread. I think they way I am currently set up works perfect for me.

First here's some pictures of my compressor install. I opted to install the compressor under the driver seat since it had plenty of space and allowed me to run the harness very easy without any issues. Also my 4Runner has ABS so the location where I originally planned to install it was already being taken up by the ABS manifold. When the time comes to install an ARB front locker I will probably relocate the compressor to the engine bay.

First I ran the harness to where it needed to be and then I mocked up the compressor how it would be positioned underneat the seat to make sure it would clear the rails as I slid the seat forward or backwards and the door when it is closed.

14122627908_65eca0a263_b.jpg

Because the compressor can get pretty hot during extended use I didnt want it to be in direct contact with the carpet and risk it getting charred or even worse catch on fire so I made a homemade heat shield. I cut out the 4 holes for the bracket and an additional notch to bolt the relay to as well. Then I painted it with some rustoleum satin.

14329477073_e5a51ddae6_c.jpg

Test fitment

14122663740_8e29f01c91_c.jpg

Final placement

14329480403_a2bbbf80bd_b.jpg

All Done. I mounted the switch where a factory blocking plate was, just popped it out and put the ARB in place, perfect!

14122634848_70bbd02801_b.jpg

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Then some time after that I went out for a casual drive through the canyon to get away from the city.

14438651088_26b7818fa2_b.jpg

14623161334_4548b5907d_b.jpg

14624776672_ee580d351a_b.jpg