Massimo 12v fridge

Corban_White

Well, I got four years out of it. First trip in the LX470 was on that busted suspension and the fridge did not like that at all, it broke something loose and it's been rattling back there - working, but I knew it's days were numbered and when I went to load it up today it wouldn't get cold. The compressor tries to cycle but gives up after ten seconds or so.

So, four years for $269, not bad. The wife says a brand name isn't in the budget right this second and I'm not going back to a cooler like a cave man, so I found the best cheap fridge Amazon has that'll get here tomorrow and we'll see how many years I get out of $229. :cool:
I have the smaller (23 quart) version of that one. It's been awesome, except after I dropped it while trying to load it in the car. Now it makes a rattling noise when it's running, but still been running fine for a year. The noise goes away if I tip it up slightly on one side. Really happy with it, especially for the price.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have the smaller (23 quart) version of that one. It's been awesome, except after I dropped it while trying to load it in the car. Now it makes a rattling noise when it's running, but still been running fine for a year. The noise goes away if I tip it up slightly on one side. Really happy with it, especially for the price.
I don't feel like I can complain. For what I paid it owes me nothing. And it may get a second life...

J-mobzz

I’m on my second one of these in six years.
The first one broke when I had to slam on the brakes on the freeway, and the plastic boat latches I had holding the fridge slide broke and it yeeted itself into the passenger seat. But the Amazon extended warranty, replaced it no questions to asked.

The replacement is a couple years old now and I’ve noticed it making a rattling noise when the compressor kicks on it’s noticeably louder than it was originally and the old one. so if you do tear into it and figure anything out, I’m kind of curious what the cause of this is if there’s anything I can do to mine to help prolong the life.

The_Lobbster

On most small hermetic compressors, the motor is suspended on 4 springs to the bottom so it has some give. It just sits there though from gravity on some pins to keep it in place. Over time, they can get knocked off from shaking, hits, etc.

I believe the Dometic produced compressors are advertised as having those springs actually spot welded or secured to the compressor shell, as well as to the motor, so that it can’t simply fall off the springs due to extreme angles, hits and whatnot.

J-mobzz

On most small hermetic compressors, the motor is suspended on 4 springs to the bottom so it has some give. It just sits there though from gravity on some pins to keep it in place. Over time, they can get knocked off from shaking, hits, etc.

I believe the Dometic produced compressors are advertised as having those springs actually spot welded or secured to the compressor shell, as well as to the motor, so that it can’t simply fall off the springs due to extreme angles, hits and whatnot.
That actually makes a lot of sense. The van definitely sees a lot of rough roads that would knock a compressor off. I’ll have to look at it and see if there’s a way to get into it without destroying the fridge and maybe find a way to secure it better.

The_Lobbster

That actually makes a lot of sense. The van definitely sees a lot of rough roads that would knock a compressor off. I’ll have to look at it and see if there’s a way to get into it without destroying the fridge and maybe find a way to secure it better.
The compressors themselves are sealed units. If you cut it open, you’ll lose your refrigerant charge. My recommendation is to just send it til it dies, and get a new fridge.

The_Lobbster

What do they use, r134 or something else?
Depends on the unit, 134a is becoming less common, but still around.

R-290 (propane) and R-600a (isobutane) are becoming more prevalent in mini fridges and in micro systems. US law just increased the max charge for these flammable refrigerants, previously 6 ounces or less was maximum, now you can have up to 17.6 ounces in a reach in double door fridge.

Looks like ARB still uses 134a per their manual.

Last edited: