Mineral basin monday!

Ford Prefect

Hey yall

So I went up to AF canyon today, and I really enjoyed it. While I was there I decided I would find mineral basin (and I think I got it) It was raining, and I was in my 3" WJ so I decided that today was not the day to try it, however, I am feeling it for Monday!

Anyone up for going? I really would like to try this one out for size.

I figure I will come in through Cascade springs, and can meet folks at the split there (where af goes either to mineral or cascade)

I hope we can get a good group to all go up there! I am really excited about running this trail, and I am sad that I failed to get the kitchen pass for the most recent run.

My only possible concern, my sister-in-law may have gone into labor today, so, my wife may need to be up there on Monday, but maybe I can wheel without her!

Hope to hear from many interested parties.

Brian

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Went up today....here's the top around 3PM

IMGP0019.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think my family will be heading up there Monday morning. No times yet, but if other people join in and, say, meet at the bottom at a specific time, we'll be there.

Ford Prefect

I was thinking about trying to meet up around noon. Any interest there, or would you need to be earlier? I am just not sure if I can get my crew out the door fast enough.

By the way, when you head up to mineral basin, that road just turns into MB right? No turns, just somewhere past the mine reclamation right?

Anyhow, looking forward to the trip!

Brian

Ford Prefect

If folks can meet at Noon at the lake, and or 12:30 (ish) at the fork for Cascade springs vs MB then I think that would allow for sufficient time for the trip...

If we all bring our lunch perhaps we can pick-nick at the top?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So what time would I need to start down at tibble reservouir to meet up with you guys further up?

Is anyone else starting down at the bottom, so we can all meet up and go up together?

Ford Prefect

It really depends on how fast you want to drive. I figure it will take half an hour for you to drive up from the res. (Depending on traffic, and how fast you want to go over those rocks.)

Without the traffic I can make the drive in about fifteen min in my WJ, but my CJ I tend to take 30 to 45 min because it shakes me half to death.

Brian

al_xj

l will be coming from the bottom. so tibble at noon? or should we meet elsewhere? I have a blue 2001 xj on 32s with tj flares. who should i look for?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
l will be coming from the bottom. so tibble at noon? or should we meet elsewhere? I have a blue 2001 xj on 32s with tj flares. who should i look for?

If they want to meet higher up at noon, we might want to leave tibble by 1130.

I have only been up that way once before. I'm not sure where we would be meeting up. Anyone going up from the bottom know the meeting place?

Cascadia

Undecided
I'd like to head up tomorrow too but I'm wondering how long this trail will take from Tibble Res. Does anyone want to meet there at the reservoir and what should I look for. I'll be in a red 04 LJ on 35's.

Ford Prefect

Sounds good to me too

Tibble at Noon/ Fork in the road at 12:30

If you come from Cabellas exit at the interstate, just go straight on up into AF canyon. Once inside the canyon take the only left hand turn (paved road) and that will take you to the Lake. From there proceed along a dirt road that exits the far end of the parking lot. That will take you right on up (it is a fair ways, a mile or two past the forest lake road if you know that one) to the fork that has a sign in the middle of the road marked Cascade Springs right, MB left (plus a few others that I do not recall.) It really is very easy to find, so I am sure no one will have any problems.

I will meet yall at that fork around 12:30 and I am in a Tan CJ7 with PSC tube fenders on the front, TJ flares on the rear, and a black soft top. Like I say, bring some food, perhaps we can eat up at the top.

I have heard that (if we all are decent drivers) it will take about three to four hours round trip from the lake (depending on how fast you drive, and how much time you spend at the top and various stops a long the way.)

I will plan to look for a Blue XJ, a Red LJ, and unstuck I assume you will come in your red CJ-7, as well as anyone else who might be interested in joining.

See yall there!

Brian

Ford Prefect

OH AND...

The wife said I can go even if her sister-in-law has the baby, so I should be there baring any unsuspected breakage.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
Is anyone going passenger-less? I can't find anyone to go with me but don't want to make anyone do any spotting for me if it's needed.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My ride is full, but as I recall, there will be no need, or very little need for spotting on this trail. It is very mild, hense I'm bringing my 3 and 4 year old. If you're coming in that LJ, you'll be fine.

Cascadia

Undecided
K. My wife has me doing some stuff around the house before I go but I should be coming. If I'm not there when you guys are ready to go don't wait on me. My name is Tyson by the way.

Ford Prefect

Well, I am about to get head out, going to go out the long way around, so, I will see yall all up there.

I do not have anyone going with me either, but if someone needs a spotter, I am more than happy to jump out and help you through anything.

See you up there

Brian