Montana LLC.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Some states do have laws that OHV tags are required even for street-legal 4x4's. But if Utah does it, I want to see the code.

Page 6

41-22-9 Vehicles exempt from registration.
(1) The following off-highway vehicles are exempt from the registration requirements of this chapter:
(a) vehicles that are currently registered for highway use, have a valid motor vehicle safety inspection sticker or certificate, and on which the required safety equipment has not been subsequently modified;
(b) except as provided in Subsection (2), a street-legal all-terrain vehicle registered in accordance with Section 41-6a-1509;
(c) off-highway vehicles that are owned by a nonresident and that are displaying a current annual off-highway vehicle user decal in accordance with Section 41-22-35;
(d) off-highway vehicles sold by a dealer to a person who is not a resident of this state;
(e) off-highway implements of husbandry operated in the manner prescribed by Subsections 41-22-5.5(3) through (5); and
(f) new off-highway vehicles being transported to an off-highway vehicle dealership by the dealer, employee of the dealership, or agent for the dealership. (2) In addition to the registration requirements imposed under Section 41-6a-1509, a street-legal all-terrain vehicle is subject to the fees under Sections 41-22-8, 41-22-33, 41-22-34, and 41-22-36.

If Gravy has a street plate he doesn't need an OHV registration.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So to me 41-22-9 subsection 1A.
Screenshot_20230621_072701_Drive.jpg
Tells me that my street legal motorcycle should be fine. When I called the DMV they said that an officer had discretion on whether my machine was an "off highway vehicle"
Whether it would hold up in court is another issue... But the gray area was enough for Barney Fife to stop and bother me.

Additionally motorcycles are the only ones that aren't requiring the new OHV plate and will continue to use the old sticker system...
So that could be adding to some confusion on the badged side of things.

There is some non-specific language in 41-22-35 about non-resident users. Something to the effect that they can ask to see proof that you're a non-resident.

But some good news Paul is that I think language in that subsection allows us to not require a non-Utah resident fee use sticker if the non-resident is competing in an event.
(41-22-35 subsection b-ii).

85CUCVKRAWLER

I dont know how you can get both in UT. When you go to the DMV and register your vehicle they give you one or the other and the OHV sticker is considered your license plate and the sticker numbers are registered to your VIN. Im almost certain they would tell you No, you get one or the other, not both.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I dont know how you can get both in UT. When you go to the DMV and register your vehicle they give you one or the other and the OHV sticker is considered your license plate and the sticker numbers are registered to your VIN. Im almost certain they would tell you No, you get one or the other, not both.
This shows you are new to Utah :rofl: I would bet you dinner they will take your money and give you both a plate and an offroad sticker if they can figure out how to enter it into their system.
I do know, when you convert a dirt bike to be street legal, they give you a plate and charge both the OHV and Street legal registration fees. That's how my 2004 TTR worth $1500 cost over $100 per year to register when a 2004 car is $60 an a 2004 OHV is $40.

Corban_White

Az has a law that if your street legal vehicle is under 2000 pounds and you want to drive it on the dirt you have to get both stickers. Stupid.