Montana LLC.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I know this has been talked about here and I think a couple people have followed through. Here is the situation. I'm buying two new ADV bikes and I'm fed up with Utah and being taxed to death.

So I am looking at creating an LLC in Montana to A) Avoid the sales tax B) Avoid paying $175 per year to register a motorcycle that Utah charges and C) possibly register my 4 trailers in Montana to save those ridiculous Utah fees.

So have you done this, who did you go through?

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
This is who I used. They are very responsive and helpful.. But in the end it didn't work for me due to a title issue.. so I just cancelled my account with them.
My business is still open though.. maybe you can 'buy' that from me to save a few bucks? We can look into that..

85CUCVKRAWLER

^^^^^^^

I use the same people. They are great and their website is super easy to use.

Just FYI the setup costs for the first vehicle are gonna run you roughly $1000. Every vehicle after that has been generally another $300. You also have yearly registration fees which are like $100 IIRC.

It's not cheap but it pays for itself depending on the situation.

For example I originally got it for my K5 when I lived in VA so the cops would stop harassing me about "lift law" nonsense. I also have another vehicle on it I keep in VA for the wife to drive and not have to deal with emissions.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
That is who I was looking at but wasn't sure how to vet them properly. Two RME reviews is enough for me.
It looks like it's $998 to register the LLC and two motorcycles which have permanent tags so it's just $49 a year after that to have them file the annual report.

The sales tax in Ut for these two bikes is $2k. So I save a grand now and $300 a year after that.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
There is also an annual filing fee for the state of Montana. It’s $20 if you do it yourself and $50 to have them do it for you. If I remember right

85CUCVKRAWLER

I dug up this article about this topic cause I remember reading it and it interested me. I would really love to do this but I feel like I'd be freaking out about getting busted the whole time. You guys aren't freaking out?

My wife got pulled over in VA with MT tags and they grilled her like a drug dealer about it, but they eventually just dropped it.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
My buddy is an officer in Murray. I asked him a while back, he said it doesn’t matter to him, but did say that Montana plates are often on the wrong vehicles

I’m sure highway patrol would be more familiar than city police and might have a different opinion though.

I’m running Indiana plates on a trailer right now. I’ve been followed a couple times by police without being pulled over 🤷🏼‍♂️

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Tempting. Here in WY there's no income tax, but boy do they make up for it in vehicle sales tax and registration fees. Holy crap.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I want to know what ADV bikes you're buying?
Also ask Tyson. He knows lots about what you're doing here.
Also for OHV stuff remember there's no repriscosity between Utah and other states. You still have to get a yearly out of state tag on the stuff you take off-road even if it's plated. I was recently chastised by a fish-cop for not OHV taging my street legal plated bike.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My wife got pulled over in VA with MT tags and they grilled her like a drug dealer about it, but they eventually just dropped it.
To avoid this a little I registered my enclosed in Montana also. The LLC I registered is a name that does not directly tie to my name and I created a lease contract for the use of the vehicle. Is it full proof? Probably not but gives me some legitimacy.

RockChucker

Also for OHV stuff remember there's no repriscosity between Utah and other states. You still have to get a yearly out of state tag on the stuff you take off-road even if it's plated. I was recently chastised by a fish-cop for not OHV taging my street legal plated bike.
Seriously? That begs the question on how long it will be before we have to get OHV tags for our streetable rigs.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Huh????

It has always been my understanding that street legal motorcycles are not required to have anything. I think you had a run in with a fish cop with a lack of knowledge of the law.

DAA

My buddy Steve that gets his F-150's stuck all the time gets all his stuff plated in Montana now, using one of these services. He does the lease from the LLC thing too. Just between his new truck and boat it saved him thousands of dollars.

- DAA