Motorcycle camping setups?

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I'm looking to find a decent lighter weight 2 person tent, something that won't break the bank($300+) I have been pouring over the Internet the last day and a half, What are the good camping people using here? I figure a good backpacking tent will work, but what are some of the plus and minuses of what you have used?
Also looking for a good bed roll and bag that pack well.
I had a 2 person tent I was going to use next weekend, but I can't seem to locate it... Obviously I have plenty of vehicle camping gear, but I haven't bought backpacking items since 1990 or so.
So whatchyou got?
Thanks.

jentzschman

This is what I have and like it so far:
Tent: http://www.rei.com/product/845481/rei-half-dome-2-plus-tent
Pad: http://www.rei.com/product/828460/rei-stratus-insulated-air-pad

If you want to shave even more off the tent weight this is a great one. Just lightly over $300: http://www.rei.com/product/827787/rei-quarter-dome-t2-plus-tent

The one down side to the pad I have found so far is the inflating it. While not hard per-say, once you get it almost full, if you like a firm pad, it is very difficult to inflate at that point.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I love my REI tent. I have a quarter dome T3 and I love it. There are lighter options out there, but I really dig it. I've probably spent 50+ nights in it.

reasons I like REI tents (these aren't exclusive to REI tents):
- lifetime no questions asked warranty
- aluminum poles
- excellent design. I wish ARB would hire the REI tent designers to re-design the interior of my ARB Simpson III Rooftop Tent.
- you can order a footprint (tarp) made exactly for that tent
- stuff back is almost twice as big as it needs to be. This means no having to roll the tent as tightly as possible only to find it still doesn't fit. I just put the poles in then cram the material in there. No need to fold the tent up.

I heard that REI tents were designed by sierra designs. i wouldn't be surprised if they were.

Last edited:

blznnp

Not sure how it would do on the bike or what it weighs, but I always liked taking my dads eureka timberline 2 person tent back packing. I think new you can find them for around $250-275. The main reason I like it is due to the set up is real easy and the rain fly covers the whole tent, a lot of the tents that got taken out when I was a scout seemed to be dome tents that had smaller rain flys that would always cover the top but the sides would get wet from the rain.

jentzschman

Another benefit of the REI tent. If you get the tent foot print you can use just the fly, poles, and foot print for a very lightweight, minimalist tent.

IMAG0239.jpg

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Great! Thanks all.
I'm curious, is 4-5lbs a typical weight? I like What has been posted about the REI tents as it will also be used for other camping trips.
I may have to wander up there for lunch today.
The tent I can't seem to locate was a Kelty, it's old, but it worked, I just don't know what happened to it.
I have been eyeballing KSL for tents too, but I don't know if I can bring myself to buy a used tent... It's not you, it's me ;)

jentzschman

Great! Thanks all.
I'm curious, is 4-5lbs a typical weight? I like What has been posted about the REI tents as it will also be used for other camping trips.
I may have to wander up there for lunch today.
The tent I can't seem to locate was a Kelty, it's old, but it worked, I just don't know what happened to it.
I have been eyeballing KSL for tents too, but I don't know if I can bring myself to buy a used tent... It's not you, it's me ;)

4-5 lbs is about average unless you really want to drop some coin and get a ultra light tent:
http://www.rei.com/product/827911/big-agnes-fly-creek-2-platinum-tent

Another very popular one is this guy: http://www.rei.com/product/796087/big-agnes-fly-creek-ul2-tent
Not as pricey, and still very light. What you make up for in weight savings you loose in tent durability and internal room. My two person plus is just right for two people. Offers good room and comfort.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I forgot to add that their poles are color-coded, so even in the dark you know which pole goes where. That makes it really easy to set up (although some of the reviewers still have a hard time setting it up).

DAA

Supporting Member
I'm curious, is 4-5lbs a typical weight?

My Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 seems kind of heavy to me and it's only 3.5 pounds. You can find them online for $300 any day of the week, but if you watch and wait you'll see them under $200 once in awhile. I paid $189 for mine.

IMG_0157WW.JPG

It is kind of tight for two people though! My Son is the only person I've shared it with and he isn't very big. Anyone bigger than him, I think I'd have to be married to before I'd share this tent with them.

- DAA

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

You could actually pitch your tent under the fly. I hear of a lot of people pitching the fly/shelter first in the rain, then pitching the tent under it. Pretty cool feature.

Last edited:

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Welp... I finally located my tent, so I didn't buy anything new, YET, I will see how this trip goes and decide from there, I'm still trying to figure out how I want everything mounted, all my stuff is somewhat larger than what newer items are.
I did however buy a new Nikon AW110 camera instead, Since my last Digi bit the dust due to sand.
I'm going to take the loaded motorcycle out today to see how it feels, I will get a couple pics up later, I'm thinking I need another mat as the one I have is twice as wide as some I saw yesterday.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I stopped by Recreation Outlet and picked up a zero deg. bag and 1.5" bed roll that only take up 2/3 of one side case, that makes me happy, This was taken before I removed my old bed roll.

I just need to figure out food, I will be packing about 2 gal. water.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Looks like you're ready to go! One thing I'll add... bungee cords suck for securing gear on a bike, even worse if you're riding offroad. I had to learn the hard way, had my new, not-cheap sleeping bag come off my bike after it slipped out from under a bungee cord. The sleeping bag got caught up in the knobbie rear tire while I was moving and it got torn up pretty good! :( I started using ROX straps and LOVE them, gear stays put no matter what you do. - http://www.rokstraps.com/

Make sure your gear isn't loose at all, if it can move at all, it will after you start riding. Also, keep your gear as low as possible... bikes have a high COG to begin with, it doesn't help to start stacking weight up high.

It would be wise to leave room to move around on the seat, when I've been on long rides moving to the back of the seat helps me stretch my legs and put my butt in a different part of the seat. If you can move and stretch out a little, it will really help.

My tent is a Eureka Solitaire, it's a tiny one-man tent. I bought it because it is simple (only tiny 2 poles) and small, but sometimes it's too small. Hardly any room to dress/undress or even sit up inside it.

P6090036-L.jpg

My bike camping setup, panniers keep the weight down low. Tent strapped down with ROX straps, wrapped around the tent.

P6090020-L.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Dang Brian, I may have to invite myself over to look over your Sertao. I was at the dealer yesterday looking at the same one. I am very interested in picking one up and then setting it up for camping like you have done. Seeing another RMEer has one, just makes me want one that much more.