Mudflap citation for the wimpiest jeep in the family

00harpdawg

i got pulled over about 4 months ago coming out of parly's canyon and the hp just gave me a warning for no mud flaps and he also hassled me for my tires sticking out a 1/4 inch and i even have extended flares but i still haven't put mud flaps on and have had no problems i've been driving it for three years and no problem till then

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Herzog said:
Go fight some real crime. IMO.
IMO this is where real crimes begin. Not saying that because you have no mudflups, your going to rob the quicky mart. But if you let 'little' offenders go, then where do you begin drawing the line? And the 'little' guys get away with it and wonder what they can get away with next. IMO you break the law, you suffer the consequences. Rather it's running a 'yellow light', no mudflaps, or even jay walking.

And yes, I have 37's on my Rubicon with mudflaps and the tire does stick out beyond the flares a bit. But if I do get a ticket, I'm not going to complain about it...I'm not a hipicrit.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Herzog said:
Go fight some real crime. IMO.
I don't understand this. We all know about the flaps and flares laws, yet we still complain about it when we get ticketed or hassled when we are not in compliance? Seems like a simple fix to me. :confused:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Hickey said:
I don't understand this. We all know about the flaps and flares laws, yet we still complain about it when we get ticketed or hassled when we are not in compliance? Seems like a simple fix to me. :confused:

You don't have to agree with all the laws just because they are "law". :D
I have my right to complain, just like everybody else. It's not gonna ruin my day, but I see no harm in voicing my opinion about it.

On a slightly unrelated subject; Would you let a cop search your property (ie: vehicle) if he/she asked to do so, with or without probable cause?

I sure as hell wouldn't wether I had anything to hide or not.

Just curious. :)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Herzog said:
You don't have to agree with all the laws just because they are "law". :D
I have my right to complain, just like everybody else. It's not gonna ruin my day, but I see no harm in voicing my opinion about it.

On a slightly unrelated subject; Would you let a cop search your property (ie: vehicle) if he/she asked to do so, with or without probable cause?

I sure as hell wouldn't wether I had anything to hide or not.

Just curious. :)
I don't agree with the law either, but the LEO's don't make the laws, they enforce them. At the end of the day, that is their job.

No, I would not let an officer search my home/vehicle without a warrant.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Hickey said:
I don't agree with the law either, but the LEO's don't make the laws, they enforce them. At the end of the day, that is their job.

No, I would not let an officer search my home/vehicle without a warrant.

But by taking their job, their responsibility is to enforce those laws... they make that decision to become an enforcer of such laws (many good laws, but also many really stupid laws).

In the end, I'm never really angry at the officer about it. But from my observation (which could be wrong) many officers do go out of their way for the "easy" tickets... Am I wrong?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Herzog said:
But by taking their job, their responsibility is to enforce those laws... they make that decision to become an enforcer of such laws (many good laws, but also many really stupid laws).

In the end, I'm never really angry at the officer about it. But from my observation (which could be wrong) many officers do go out of their way for the "easy" tickets... Am I wrong?
That's my opinion, too. I hear about all of the officers that are afraid to pull over people in California and this is my same thought process. If you aren't going to do it, then go work at McDonalds. 'I'm' paying you to pull people over and make arrests. Not sit at Crispy Cream....

Don't get me wrong, I think being a police officer is one of the most difficult jobs out there. But you knew about the risks when you went into it...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Herzog said:

You are completely right. My beef is mainly with this one specific ticket, however lame we all think it is, is totally avoidable.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Hickey said:
You are completely right. My beef is mainly with this one specific ticket, however lame we all think it is, is totally avoidable.

And with that statement is where this thread should end... because you're right, complaining about it here isn't going to make a difference.

Complaining elsewhere might. But it's also just as easy to deal with it.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Hickey said:

I look at it in the opposite way. This one specific ticket was written on a XJ with 30-9.50s. It did not have tires out of the flairs. It sat a little higher but should not have caught the eye. I know it is a fine line but I think this falls into the catagory of the trooper harrassing the lady.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
real crimes don't pay the bills.

revenue does.

what about taxes? go fight real crime.

as for mud flaps, GO PUT SOME DAMN MUDFLAPS ON!!!! the LAW wouldnt have to be a LAW if people would be courtious and put them on. i hate being behind some moron with out flaps, when i get a huge chip in my window, and so does the rest of the world. mud flaps are a lot cheaper then some other poor souls windshield. come on guys!!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
bobdog said:
I look at it in the opposite way. This one specific ticket was written on a XJ with 30-9.50s. It did not have tires out of the flairs. It sat a little higher but should not have caught the eye. I know it is a fine line but I think this falls into the catagory of the trooper harrassing the lady.
With said tires installed, the law requires mudflaps. I do agree that it is rediculous to require such a small mod to run mudflaps.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
utahxjer said:
Never stopped anyone for that and I probably never will.

Wasn't calling you out at all on that. :)

Everybody has their complaints about laws and cops, you just happen to be on the other side of the fence. I'm sure the officers are annoyed with complainers like me as well. :D