My last rock chip came from a.....

bradm

shameless posing...
I have 2 chips on the windshield of my XJ. One came from a Subaru, and the other a Honda Civic. As has been mentioned, neither came from a lifted 4x4, BUT I'M THE ONE THAT HAS TO HAVE MUDFLAPS. Stupid legislators. :-\

rdneckride

I dunno but my last chip came from out of no where. No cars around or passing huge rock hit the windshield of my Focus.

I have been blasted by pea gravel and smaller junk the last week or so each morning on I15 between Springville and University Parkway in Orem. Would be nice if them crews ran a sweeper over the freeway before opening it backup.. especially after they have been ripping it down so they can repave it.

74highboy

in 5 years i have been pretty lucky to only get 3 but they were all from honda crv's tell me how that happens

Meat_

Banned
My first rock chip came from a....

Toyota Corolla, and no, he didn't have mud flaps.

IMG00353.jpg

And no, I was no where near that close when it happened.

Chevycrew

I dunno but my last chip came from out of no where. No cars around or passing huge rock hit the windshield of my Focus.

I have been blasted by pea gravel and smaller junk the last week or so each morning on I15 between Springville and University Parkway in Orem. Would be nice if them crews ran a sweeper over the freeway before opening it backup.. especially after they have been ripping it down so they can repave it.

They did an article on this a while back... The contractor is liable. The story was on ksl.

mule2k

Got one from a lugnut off a toyota pickup on I15 at one time. He didn't torque them down at all and they all snapped off while I was behind it. One hit my windshield and two or three went up over me

STAG

I had just replaced the windshield on my truck and then three days later.. driving home from work on the freeway the same thing happened to me with a huge chunk of asphalt, about 1" in diameter when they were doing the freeway resurface and overlay. I was going through the Provo "S bends" (just north of center street). Luckily the freeway was only going about 40 so it didn't totally shatter the windshield just a big chip. I did call up staker parsons and filed with them complaining that they didn't sweep the freeway well enough. But then I later decided that accidents happen and they did sweep the freeway, just missed a chunk.. so I didn't follow through with the complaint filing and just replaced the windshield.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I have gotten two from apparently nowhere-- maybe BB gun snipers in the grass, or birds sh*tting pebbles, I don't know-- just after the bend in 215 north, going up to MBryson's. Same general place, twice. Very odd.
I have gotten chips from big trucks and minvans, but no SUV's, 4x4's, etc. Must be the mudflaps keeping my glass safe. :D

Johnny4X4

A Large Dumptruck on 1-15, (called them, they said "oh that truck wasn't hauling rocks today and we have mudflaps to keep rocks from flying up") i said' "well then he is throwing some out the window for fun then" -- She Hung Up.

the last one came from a police car ripping down the shoulder of 2-15 southbound at about 28th south. decided just to let that one go :p

M

muddyjeep

My last one was from a damn pellet gun! Never caught the jacka$$!
The window repair guy found the pellet down in the cowl under the wipers.

4 SALE

Haven't have a one in the windsheild in a while but I parked my 1994 Toyota PU to sell it and came back 4 hours later and my wing window had a 2" hole in it. I hate people that can't just leave other people's things alone. A week later someone stole my Tail Light lense. Ok sorry for the Hijack, just ticks me off.

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
If rocks are falling off a belly dump or dump truck call the highway patrol and have them send a DOT truck. They will put a stop to that fast! And the company can't deny your windshield if the truck has lose rocks on it. Not trying to be an A$$ to the truck drivers but I drive a truck and that's one thing we're supposed to check after we're loaded.

mierdota

I have gotten two from apparently nowhere-- maybe BB gun snipers in the grass, or birds sh*tting pebbles, I don't know-- just after the bend in 215 north, going up to MBryson's. Same general place, twice. Very odd.
I have gotten chips from big trucks and minvans, but no SUV's, 4x4's, etc. Must be the mudflaps keeping my glass safe. :D

that has happened to me, on 215 north also there was no one even close to me both directions and one hit hard. the only thing i could think of is i had one stuck in my tire and flipped it ahead of my self, but the birds sh%tting pebbles makes more sence

STAG

Old thread bump!

But... Those d@mn Ford focus' and their no mudflaps!

3F8B0427-A212-442D-BB96-9FE20E5E0337_zpsd9ya8yyw.jpg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
...dude named Tonkaman. Actually, my last TW0 rock chips came from him and his damn taco. Guess I shouldn't have been following him so close on the PET...

93TJ

You know all that snow that builds up on you mud flaps? One of those that was frozen solid fell from a semi in front of me on I-15. It actually destroyed my grill, much more than a little rock chip.

skeptic

Semi in Oregon, they use sand instead of salt in the winter. I think a piece of "sand" was a little bigger than what I call sand.

Wow, I just saw you are in Independence OR. I grew up in that little town. edit: just noticed this is a really old thread and that post was from '09

To answer the question - my last rock chip came from a gravel truck.

Last edited: