My new to me 2011 KTM 300 XC

rholbrook

My first motorcycle was a 1978 XR 75 that I got new. My next bikes were pretty much all Yamaha since 1979 and since 2006 I have been trying to be patient with Yamaha hoping they would come out with something to compete with KTM for a great 6 spd trail bike. That has not happened so I decided I would jump ship but not until I gave Yamaha a phone call. After sitting on hold for nearly 30 minutes I was able to complain to them that they were losing a long time customer. They pretty much said that they will miss me. I was looking for a new light weight bike and I knew I was giving up atleast 40lbs to the KTM 300. It was time to join the orange gang.

Yamaha 4 strokes are the most dependable 4 strokes out there and there has been tons of articles in all the motorcycle magazines about how they are the most dependable rides. In the 8 years that I owned my WR450, the only thing I had to do to it besides oil changes, tires, a set of brakes, one set of sprockets and chain is once I adjusted the valves but only because I put a YZ450F exhaust cam in it so I figured I would check the valves at the same time. That was 4 years ago and just before I sold it, it would fire on the first kick. Nearly a month ago, I put it on KSL on a Saturday afternoon and by Monday, it was gone.

After a bunch of research I finally decided that I wanted a 2011 or newer 300XC because of the 6 spd and higher 1st gear. I really didnt care if I got the PDS suspension because I really don't plan on hitting whoops at high speed. After looking all over the place I finally found one in Pheonix that had the suspension done on it and already had a Rekluse zStart Pro which was on my list of things to add anyway. After finding transport from uShip for $250 its on its way here. The PO is a 63 yr old that is selling because he was buying a 2015 Husky 300 and in his garage is also a 2013 500 XCW. My friend Craig just happened to be in Pheonix so I asked him to go take a look at it so he did and ran it up and down the road a few times. He told me the guys garage floor and work bench were clean enough to eat off of the bike was in exceptional shape so I bought it. The funny thing about Craig taking it for a spin is the PO said to me that my friend really rode it hard up and down the street. He was really bugged that Craig rode it hard. That kind of tells me how he took care of it.

B42933D5-5CAD-470C-937D-75E37C5871E6.jpg

397F334A-2E07-479E-B7EC-ED6F4E245643.jpg

Plans:
I am going to have to rejet it and make sure that I am covered on jetting for the altitude and temperature.

I will get a skid plate and pipe guard and would appreciate your suggestions here.

Perform the mod on Starter that basically caps the breather and runs it up into the airbox and allows you to put some oil in it.

Some new bark busters and bar risers

Ox Left Hand Brake. The Rekluse LHB sucks. They never hold pressure and seem to not work more than they work so I am going to try the Ox.

When its too cold to ride, I will pull the head and get the bowl reshaped.

Spark Arrestor and when I dent the pipe, an FMF to replace it.

I have been in Atlanta for a bit and plan on coming home for a day this weekend so Harrison and I can go riding. Anyone is welcome to join.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
That is a clean bike. I recommend the P3 carbon fiber pipe guard. I have no personal preference between the carbon or aluminum skid plate, but I run the aluminum. When you talk about reshaping the head, what exactly are your plans? I personally would only recommend milling 20 thousandths off the head. It will give you the extra low end grunt you may be looking for.

Last edited:

Caleb

I like it. It's a 300 though, right? Title says 200 but pictures say 300 :D I only ask because I've been super tempted with a 200XC for a long time as a second bike (I need a first bike first though :rofl: ), just curious if you actually went that route. I went with the full P3 setup (heat shield, skid, etc) and I was super impressed. It took a long time to get as it wasn't in stock, but the wait was worth it. I'll run the same on my next bike too.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Sweet bike Russ. This isn't helping my desire to ditch the YZF. I rode my boys 125 for about 15 miles Saturday. I think you're going to love this bike. 2 strokes are just fun. The smell, the ping-ping-ping at idle. They are just cool. I'm a bit younger than you and 2 strokes have this nostalgia to me that I imagine your generation has about muscle cars. I can't wait to ride with you guys.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Very nice looking bike!
I also was a die hard yamerhammer rider, but the ktm really does beat it no question.
I have the sx version, and can't wait to go to the xc.

And we all know how I feel about the 2 strokes :)

Very nice bike.

Tonkaman

[/QUOTE]

When its too cold to ride, I will pull the head and get the bowl reshaped.

[/QUOTE]

I've never heard you say it's too cold to go riding!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The funny thing about Craig taking it for a spin is the PO said to me that my friend really rode it hard up and down the street. He was really bugged that Craig rode it hard. That kind of tells me how he took care of it.

That's hilarious! :rofl: After riding with you guy ( and Craig) and seeing HOW HARD he rides, I can only imagine how hard he was rallying that KTM. Poor guy, I bet he was all worked up about it, especially if the sale fell thru after Craig violated his precious 2 stroke like that.

You'll love it... I miss my 300 (Caleb's old bike), shouldn't have sold it. :(

rholbrook

I got a call from the shipper tonight wanting to drop it off around 3 tomorrow afternoon. I'm still in Atlanta so I called Craig and he said he will meet the shipper and give the bike the once over before giving the shipper his release and payment code. Craig knows best what the bike looked like since he rode it. Craig is the only guy I know that loops his bike more than Greg. :) Reminds of when Greg looped his old WR (Cheston's new WR) on the delivery ride at White Sands.

Derek, when I say too cold, I mean just from the middle of January to the middle of February.

The bowl mod to the head pretty much means that they reshape the head to be more like an SX head plus milling it. The reshape and mill runs about $100 from Slavens where a new head is like $200.

What color power valve springs are you all running. Jarvis runs the green spring and Johnny Walker runs the yellow.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Craig is the only guy I know that loops his bike more than Greg. :) Reminds of when Greg looped his old WR (Cheston's new WR) on the delivery ride at White Sands...

:rofl: That was the only time I've looped a bike in YEARS! I totally thought I had that line nailed, or I wouldn't have tried it. I felt bad... bike ends totally upside down, in the water. :guilty:

rholbrook

Does the XC have provisions for a wiring harness?
I dont know if it has the wiring harness but you can buy a factory harness for less than $60. It has the same stator as the XCW at 100 watts so it should be able to run the lights which I have been looking at too. I am putting together my parts list so I can get everything ordered. Making it street legal will take place over the winter when I can get my traveling out of the way for the year.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ox Left Hand Brake? My friend Mark just put it on his 13' 300 XCW and after one ride likes it better than the Rekluse he has on his two Yamahas and one Honda. The Rekluse model works about 1/2 of the time. The Ox LHB uses a new brake pedal and a cable brake instead of hydraulic brake and its half the price of the Rekluse LHB. Look it up. If you have a Rekluse clutch, you need a LHB.

http://www.oxbrake.com/

Tonkaman

:rofl: That was the only time I've looped a bike in YEARS! I totally thought I had that line nailed, or I wouldn't have tried it. I felt bad... bike ends totally upside down, in the water. :guilty:

Ehh no big deal, it was Chestons problem by then ha ha!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The bowl mod to the head pretty much means that they reshape the head to be more like an SX head plus milling it. The reshape and mill runs about $100 from Slavens where a new head is like $200.

What color power valve springs are you all running. Jarvis runs the green spring and Johnny Walker runs the yellow.
The milling will create more low end torque and the bowl reshape will bring some of the over-rev back into the picture. Based on the riding you talk about doing.....since I have never ridden with you..... I don't know if you will need the over-rev back. I shaved my 300's head as soon as I bought it and have never missed the top end I lost....even running it as hard as I do in the desert.

I believe I am running the red spring but will double check it when I unpack from the race this past weekend.