My new to me 2011 KTM 300 XC

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Even though a starter is not required, I am sure it makes those off camber/steep hill/full brakes/near death situations much better than having to try to kick it..

Tonkaman

Even though a starter is not required, I am sure it makes those off camber/steep hill/full brakes/near death situations much better than having to try to kick it..

Us Real men have long inseams so we don't have to worry about those sticky situations

rholbrook

Baja Designs Wiring Harnes and DC Rectifier Installed

I was getting tired of no headlight so a while ago I bought some LED inserts for both my 300 and Harrison's 200. I never put them on because I hadn't figured out how I was easily going to get around Harrison's 200 not having a battery. I knew I was going to do the DC Conversion but wasn't going to do it until I figured out about the 200. I made some phone calls to both Trail Tech and Baja Design(BD). Trail Tech pretty much stopped making a solution for the 200 so I called Baja Design and they talked to me about the EZ Mount DC Accessory Kit which came with everything I needed for the 200 including a small battery. For my KTM300XC they told me I needed the Wiring Harness & Switch and the Regulator/Rectifier to do what I needed to do. They also sent me the parts I need to do the AC to DC Conversion to make it easy. The instructions for that are on their website HERE. I was into the parts for the 300 for $90 and for the 200 $125 which included the battery. This did not include any lights.

The whole process was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. I do use a solder iron often so I wasn't worried about that and the instructions were to basically remove a copper wire off of a ground post, remove the yellow wire off of it's post and then connect the two with a supplied crimp and wire. They even included the cover to put over the crimped ends after I soldered them together. Next I plugged the stator back into the original plugs, replaced the Rectifier with the new supplied one, mounted the headlight switch and connected it to the battery posts and that was it. You can't plug a light back into the old AC Headlight Plug. You have to plug the light into the new plug coming off of the BD light switch.

The PO had decided that he needed to do the breathing tube fix on my stator along with the oil bath so when I pulled my stator, it was a mess in there. It took me three times as long to clean that mess up then the actual process of completing all of the tasks above. I wish I had taken pictures but it was a mess in there and besides that, I forgot. At my age, my memory is the 2nd shortest thing I have. :rofl: I plugged the LED light I had purchased a while ago and holy hell it was bright. I think I am going to do something a little different with the light but now I have 100 watts of power instead of 35 watts to do what ever I want with. I think I will add a radiator fan. I have an idea on a light bar mount that will allow me to really brighten the night up. Over the weekend I will do Harrison's 200, I don't expect it to be any different other than mounting the battery somewhere.

Last edited:

rholbrook

Got my 8" LED light bar in the mail today so I put on a GM weather pack plug, figured out a way to mount it
908263F8-FC42-437E-8969-0221EF9AE364.jpg

Its a lot brighter than it shows here but I love it

3342FC7E-D843-4325-8EE8-9ADBD7764319.jpg

Last edited:

rholbrook

Baja Design makes it really easy to do because all their connections are ready for pretty much a plug and play. You do have to float the ground on the stator but that's pretty simple. Harrison's took me maybe 5 min after I removed his stator. I had to remove his flywheel to get his stator off on his 200 XCW. On my 300 XC the stator isn't behind the flywheel so you just remove the side engine cover to get it off.

Because Harrisons 200 didn't have an electric starter and no battery I bought the kit that included a small battery. I mounted it via some Velcro under the seat against the inside of the rear fendor near the air filter. I had to make a few connections of my own and I extended some of the wires with solder and heat shrink so it looked nice and clean. The 200 want as easy as the 300 but it was still pretty easy.