My next trail rig...

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
So I'm planing to pick up another vehicle to take around off road. This time around I can afford to take it a level higher since I don't have to worry about breaking down my daily. I've been a toyota guy since I was 15 but I also owned a Grand Wagoneer that was a tank and it was fun too.

I actually still have an 88 Grand Wagoneer sitting at my sister's house. I could drop some money into that to get it street able again and be up and running, only downside is that it's a gas hog. It's got the AMC 360 in it, power windows and leather seats. The body is kind of rusted out though so that's the downside. But it's already SA up front.

Second choice is to find an 85 toyota pickup or 4Runner so I don't have to swap it out myself and have fuel injection. I think the aftermarket support for them is amazing where as I don't know much about the support for the Wagoneers.

Opinions on which route to go? I think they are both awesome vehicles but I'm not sure which way to take it.

My main goals are to use it to travel the mountains, go camping, load it up with gear and genrerally go through rugged terrains that I otherwise couldn't or wouldn't go in my Tundra. I don't want to have to take bypasses or be limited on places I can travel due to terrain, so it needs to be capable on the rocks as we as the plain dirt fields.

One factor that I do bring up to myself frequently is the availability of parts at junk yards or on the trail if a part breaks.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Preferably street legal so I can still drive it if need be. But it would have to be pretty mint to be an 88...if I go the toyota route I'm gonna hold off for another mint truck to start fresh on.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Hiro, I've got a stock '85 4Runner 22RE/5 speed in my driveway that I'm getting ready to repair a bent crossmember and get it a recovered title. I wouldn't charge you too much more than I paid for it ;).

edit - it ain't exactly mint, though...

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Are you home now? I'll swing over and take a look. Not saying that's what I'll get. But just for the hell of it lol.

This thread is still open for debate on what I shall do.

sixstringsteve

what's your budget? What types of trails do you plan on doing in it? More expo/camping stuff, or more hardcore rockcrawling where you don't care if you roll it? What tire size are you shooting for? What's more important, streetability or offroad ability?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'd like to stay under 3k for the rig alone. I'm planning on doing more expo, exploration, camping. But probably will tag along for some rock crawling. Depending on the condition of the rig I end up with will factor in whether or not I care if I roll it. The cheaper the initial price tag, the less I will care lol. Tire size will be 35" and I don't mind sacrificing street ability for offroad-ability.

sixstringsteve

If you're doing expo, exploration, and camping, I recommend something that can do 70 MPH+ on the freeway, as most of the locations people camp at require street driving to get there. Just a thought.

It's hard to beat an XJ for that price and copy XJ Nate's rig.

If it were me, I'd get an '89-95 single-cab 22RE toyota pickup. Or I'd get one with the blown 3.0 and swap in a 3.4L. Then I'd cut out the back window and turn it into a 4runner like chicken77's rig:

View attachment 79822

Read about the conversion here:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?80742-93-Truck-to-4runner-conversion

I'd probably keep it ifs and run 33-35's with a 4.7 in the tcase and an elocker or aussie out back. Then I'd save all the rest of my money for gas and get out as much as possible.

a '79-85 rig would be a good candidate too. I'm just too in love with IFS to go that route. :D

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
IFS feels pretty good off road that's for sure, but I'm just wanting to go with solid so that I will be able to expand later on if I choose. So an 89-95 isn't really in the plans for me just because I don't wanna do a conversion later on.

Saving up for gas is definitely a big one because that goes quick lol. I did see those builds before and they are sweet, but I'm hoping to minimize fabrication on them. But things are still up for discussion at this point :D

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
IFS feels pretty good off road that's for sure, but I'm just wanting to go with solid so that I will be able to expand later on if I choose. So an 89-95 isn't really in the plans for me just because I don't wanna do a conversion later on.

Saving up for gas is definitely a big one because that goes quick lol. I did see those builds before and they are sweet, but I'm hoping to minimize fabrication on them. But things are still up for discussion at this point :D

You can buy a lot of gas for the cost of a new rig. Not sure how much work the wagoneer needs but I think it would be a great platform. I don't know about you but with the amount of gear/recovery stuff I lug around now space is a premium. Not to mention an older toyota is going to be lethargic loaded down for "expo" travel. My vote would be the wagoneer for space, cool factor, and already owning it. If not something a little newer with a more peppy motor. The lack of power and ability to keep speed was the No. 1 reason for me getting rid of my toyotas. You can tell yourself it won't bother you, which I tried to for a while. But at least for me it got very annoying very fast. I say build up the waggy to what you want for the first year or two. If gas mileage is still a killer, and the desire for a fuel injection consider a LS swap in the future.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I think the carb on it needs a rebuild, it needs new tires and I'll probably just have to do a tune up on everything. Probably about a grand in just maintenance. But it's still spring under axle and saggy as hell. So getting a lift for it and some new wheels would be in the works before I start wheeling it much.

Last time I drove it I averaged 8-10 mpg lol so it's killer on gas lol.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Old Toyotas keep speed a lot better when cool guys give you nice sets of headers to put on them. Holding 80mph over the point of the mountain today was a novel experience. :)

sixstringsteve

If gas mileage is still a killer, and the desire for a fuel injection consider a LS swap in the future.

If a sas is overwhelming to him, and LS swap is going to be too. :D

Noah, a SAS is super easy if you ever decide to do it. An 88 wagoneer doesn't exactly scream "reliable" to me, but they sure are cool rigs.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Old Toyotas keep speed a lot better when cool guys give you nice sets of headers to put on them. Holding 80mph over the point of the mountain today was a novel experience. :)

Apparently I REALLY need to investigate this header claim...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Thanks Steve but I wouldn't copy my rig per se cause it's pretty beat but it does have some components that I love. It all lies in the questions above. I don't really get out and camp very much so I can't give a solid opinion on whether or not an XJ would make a great platform. When it comes to crawling they are a blast though. It seems like my main goal when I take mine out is to get new dents and scratches so it's very different from planning a week in remote areas etc

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member

Glad you got it put on and its working out

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Haha I've never gotten better than 60 over the point of the mountain in my old 4runner. But I've actually got quite a bit of experience doing engine swaps in many different platforms, including in the waggy I have at my sisters house. But I think the main part about doing an sas is because I don't wanna deal with cutting off such amount of metal or buying all the parts to install one.

I think that's what puts me off from doing it haha.

But I agree that a wagoneer isn't exactly screaming reliable hahaha. I suppose with an LS swap that would be a different story.

sixstringsteve

rotational weight is a big deal with toyotas too. Big heavy tires really bog them down. Kevin's should have PLENTY of power with 5.29's and 33's.