My next trail rig...

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah, definitely alot to think over on these decisions. But looks like IFS is the way to go for what I plan to do, and that is fine too, I'm still going to give some consideration on the Waggy just for its cool factor lol.

Has anyone done a diesel swap on their rig? Any advice on something like that? It's something I would consider on the waggy.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
IFS can go lots and lots of places, especially if you don't have a heavy foot or big tires. Lots of guys run up to 35s on IFS Yotas without much breakage.

smartass_kid

check out IFSJA.ORG and search diesel. know a few people have done it but I've never read a build up on it. I think the GW would be good if you could strip out the junk and doodads you don't need. but I stand by earlier statement.

Rock Taco

I would do the 88 4runner. Costs are going to be less in the long run I would think. You would still have plenty of room.

Maybe you should post up some pics of each so we can get a better idea of their current conditions.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'll check that website out, thanks! And yeah, stripping down some unnecessary crap would help in running smoother and possibly more reliably.

What kind of costs are you thinking of costing less? I'll take some pictures of the 4Runner and post it up, but the waggy is at my sister's house and I dont head up that way too much so it will be a bit before I can get pictures of that one. But basically imagine a burgundy Wagoneer with wood trim panels and rust in several spots lol.

LT.

How big a fella are ya? A toyota may not offer the kind of comfort you may desire. I know that the toyota guys are gonna back up their choices. Just like everybody else swears by (enter whatever brand the individual drives here) to the end. Wrong or right jeep guys support jeep. Toyota guys support toyotas. I get it, really I do. But, when was the last time wheelers did something because it was easy? If that was the case we would run black top highways and never work on vehicles. Building a vehicle and going wheeling is why we do what we do. Hell, if it was cheap everybody would do it. We as wheelers take the road less traveled, literally. Why build the same vehicle so many have in the past? This goes against everything we believe in. Wagoneer (while still a jeep) is more unique than another toyota.

Whatever you decide to build I hope you do a build thread. I have thourghly enjoyed every build thread on this board.

LT.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'm 6'0" with a little meat on my bones lol. I think the waggy interior is definitely more spacious and comfy than the runner but I think in their prime the waggy was supposed to be luxurious so that makes sense. I'm comfortable in both though.

I do see what you're saying and about originality or the road less traveled. To that I agree, but also in that sense if I do that purely, then I'll run the risk of having a long term project that may take way too long to complete and meanwhile the itch to wheel isn't satisfied. Whereas another vehicle may be ready to roll sooner, I don't know. But whichever one I end up with I'll do a thread for it. And hopefully I don't change vehicles again anytime soon after. I really thought I was gonna keep my last 4Runner.

sixstringsteve

Its not a jeep vs Toyota thing for me. Its a question of what will get you out on the trail soonest and most reliably. Some people on this forum haven't been wheeling in years because their rig is taking forever to build. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as they prefer building to getting out. In my mind, having a unique vehicle is great as long as you still get to take it on the trail regularly. Some people are in this sport to build, others to wheel, and others to do both.

It all comes down to the question of what you want. I have friends who would rather wrench than wheel. Nothing wrong with that. I'd personally rather wheel than wrench. Personally, I'd much rather get out once a month than take years building a unique vehicle that never gets wheeled. You can make any vehicle unique. Even a jk or Tj, the two most popular 4x4s can be made to be quite unique.

Examine your priorities and decide if you're looking for a project to work on or if you're looking to get out as much as possible. With the budget you mentioned, there are going to be trade offs no matter what you buy.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

To me, expedition travel is about being hubdreds if not thousands of miles from a parts store (not too likely in the US). My last "expedition" to Escalante consisted of 500 miles offroad on washboard, rutted, and smooth dirt roads, and 500 miles of pavement to return home. Pick the rig that's going to be most reliable and comfortable for the type of driving you will be doing.

Personally, I don't think either a 3.0 4runner or a waggy is the ideal choice. You could sell both and afford something more updated and more reliable.

Bang-for-buck it's tough to beat a Ford Ranger or an Isuzu trooper. XJs are also great for the price. If you've got the funds, a tacoma, 3rd gen 4runner, and a JK make some of the best multi-purpose vehicles in my mind.

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
there are some clear advantages with the 88 4runner it has a much much better frame and the quality of the metal and construction as well as the components on the 4runner are much better two. Waggys are cool but its no secret that they werent built with the best, doent mean they are hopless just alot more work in my opinion to make it reliable and safe

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
To me, expedition travel is about being hubdreds if not thousands of miles from a parts store (not too likely in the US). My last "expedition" to Escalante consisted of 500 miles offroad on washboard, rutted, and smooth dirt roads, and 500 miles of pavement to return home. Pick the rig that's going to be most reliable and comfortable for the type of driving you will be doing.

Personally, I don't think either a 3.0 4runner or a waggy is the ideal choice. You could sell both and afford something more updated and more reliable.

Bang-for-buck it's tough to beat a Ford Ranger or an Isuzu trooper. XJs are also great for the price. If you've got the funds, a tacoma, 3rd gen 4runner, and a JK make some of the best multi-purpose vehicles in my mind.

I have been looking for a 3rd gen 4runner for my brother and I am surprised on how cheap they sale. 4runners sale for 2/3's the price of an identical Tacoma.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
You guys do make a good point. I guess patience isn't my strong point so waiting for cars to sell to get money to buy another one is such a drag lol

sixstringsteve

well, if both vehicles run, take either one out 'till they sell. You can still enjoy them in stock form, assuming they're reliable.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
99.9% of the dirt in Utah can be driven by a stock 4wd, and that includes your Tundra. 90% of the places you don't want to take the Tundra can be handled by your stock IFS 4Runner, and some armor and a Spartan locker in the rear will make it 95%.

So lemme ask you this - exactly how often are you planning on going places you don't want to take the Tundra? If it's often enough, then put a little money in the the 4Runner and let it get you by while you make up your mind. If it's only gonna be once or twice a year, sell the waggy and the runner and put the money into armor for the Tundra.

LT.

Some really good points by six and kevin b. Far to often i assume folks are just like me and would rather build a vehicle rather than wheel. Sorry for the wrong assumptions. I guess in an odd way i would tend to agree with Kevin B. Perhaps the best thing to do is sell both vehicle and put the funds into the tundra. For expedition type wheeling that makes the most sense.

LT.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I've been getting out quite a bit this year and I don't see that stopping in the short term. I've had so far 4 camping trips and a handful of trail rides where as a couple of times I've reconsidered going because I don't wanna beat up the Tundra just yet. Mainly due to tight squeezes and I don't wanna get pin stripes on the Tundra just yet. But the idea of selling both and getting a newer rig that's more reliable and newer is growing on me. And I do like the 3rd gens so that's a very real possibility that I could switch into.