My next trail rig...

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks Steve, with the right vehicle I'd love to tag along on one of your multi day trips.

A quick glance at ksl listings has most runners over 200k miles, is that pretty standard and very much still reliable? What kind of maintenance does it need at that stage? Timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and wires?

sixstringsteve

It all depends on your price range. I'd rather pick up a runner with 200k that has been well maintained vs 110k that has been abused. My taco (same drivetrain as a 4runner) has 225k on it, but it's been very well maintained.

The main thing to look on those is tranny fluid refresh every 90k or sooner, timing belt, water pump, spark plug, and wires. Also plan on doing ball joints and possibly steering bushings and a-arm bushings at that point. Apart from that you should be good for another 100k, assuming it's in good shape. Obviously I can't guarantee it'll run that long, but they're stout little motors.

I'd shoot for one with 150-180k that's been well maintained.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Good to know, thanks! While on the topic of 3rd gens, does anyone know who drives the silver 3rd gen around magna? Looks like it has a CB antenna mounted on the front corner by the hood and its got a little lift on 32's or 33's. it looks nice and to the point. Seems like it gets driven by both a guy and a girl.

A vehicle like that would be pretty nice to take exploration with. But I can't do that unless I sell the 88 runner and waggy.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Just read thru that whole thread, lots of good info on there. Thanks for linking it. Damn, now I really do wanna get a 3rd gen, but I'm not so sure it's within my budget yet.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I was considering a swap like that, but now I'm thinking about selling both vehicles and getting a 3rd gen 4Runner lol

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
For my money, don't bother looking at automatic 3rd gens. They're easier to wheel and probably a little less expensive, but the auto trans is a bit of a dog and the trans cooler is known to rust out inside the radiator, so you have to bypass the stock cooler or change out your radiator every now and again. I like my wife's 3rd gen 4Runner, but if I buy another one or a similar Taco, it'll be a manual.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah I was hoping to get an auto because like you said it's easier to wheel. Is bypassing the trans cooler an easy fix or is it a pretty serious problem?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
It's pretty easy - buy a little cooler and move the lines from the stock cooler inside the radiator to the new cooler. There's a question of whether an external cooler keeps the fluids at optimum temp, but I don't know enough to know the answer to that. I'm just going to replace the entire radiator, and if we still have the truck in another 180k I'll replace it again. :)

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
As much as I want to say "build the Waggy" I have to side with the toyota side here for reliability, availability of parts and ease of accessing information, not to mention the far superior electronics and fuel injection which is way better than the waggy. I would think that the last years of the wagoneer would be the worst with Chrysler taking over the Jeep brand and doing nothing but adding junk on to an outdated carbed motor to comply with EPA standards. If it were a much older waggy it would be much easier to make reliable since you wouldn't have all the EPA garbage on it.

I kind like the idea of selling both and updating 3rd Gen. It's crazy the places an IFS rig will go if you want to do it.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Sounds like going 3rd gen might be the ticket. Now if I can just figure out how to sell them fast before I lose patience ;)

how big of a cooler is ideal? I have a 12x12x1 oil cooler off my track car I could use. But would that be too big for a transmission?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Nice, good link! Looks like the one I have will be just fine to mock up on there.

Still gotta get a 3rd gen though. I think that might be the final verdict as far as my needs for a rig go.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I like having back seats so that's why I wanted a double cab early on, but now that I have a Tundra I am good with having a 4Runner. The x-cabs are too small in the back to really sit anyone

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
So after much debate on this thread I think the ticket is gonna be a 3rd Gen 4Runner. Time to start selling rigs to save up cash for one.

Someone had asked for pics of the 4Runner and Waggy, here's some of the 4Runner, which is now in the FS forum lol..

9253568010_50d000166e_c.jpg

9253569140_62da6f46ab_c.jpg

Last edited: