My welder dilema.

Chevycrew

I went 220v, no regrets from me. My dryer outlet and welder are similar, yet the end prong on my welder plug is a L instead of a l. I just trimmed it down and it works great.

I have about a 50' extension cord too.

You can look up what they recommend for wire gauge and breaker size on just about any welder. (I have 30amp, and have never tripped it)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I never tripped my 30A breaker at the house with my MM251. Even when I had it cranked up to burn in D60 knuckles.

Don't remember where it was, east coast I believe, but there's a MM251 for $600 with a bad torch I believe. Very good buy if you could talk him into shipping it. That's a ~$1200 welder, even used.

jentzschman

Thanks for all the info guys.

Im going to get some pics of the outlet, if that helps.

The house was built it 79, if that says anything about the wiring....

Thanks again guys.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I wired an RV style power box to the outside of my house. It has a regular 110v outlet and a 220 with breakers for both. Wired it right out of the service from the back of the house....I have done this 3 times now. It is great to have power for tools and welder that is independent of the house.

jentzschman

I wired an RV style power box to the outside of my house. It has a regular 110v outlet and a 220 with breakers for both. Wired it right out of the service from the back of the house....I have done this 3 times now. It is great to have power for tools and welder that is independent of the house.

I would love to run a new line to the garage... but I am in no way capable of taping the main line to run a new breaker box.

So, I will have to look into extention cord and adapter plug.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I'm an electrician and just happen to have about 20-30 feet of what is called SO cord that will handle 30 amps... and the cord ends are like $10-15 each if your interested... or I could just wire in a new outlet for you from your outside power entrance box like was mentioned before me....

Give me a call...
John
307-67nine-127five

jentzschman

I'm an electrician and just happen to have about 20-30 feet of what is called SO cord that will handle 30 amps... and the cord ends are like $10-15 each if your interested... or I could just wire in a new outlet for you from your outside power entrance box like was mentioned before me....

Give me a call...
John
307-67nine-127five

I would be interested depending on the cost of wiring up a new line from the main.

How much for that cable?

Thanks btw!!!

jentzschman

Here's another option if you prefer red. :)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_256723-1703...&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=lincoln+welder

Same price, but one nice thing about it is that Lowes / Home Depot carries consumables for these Lincoln machines.

Thank you. I like that one.

What is the difference with these?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_256723-1703...&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=lincoln+welder

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200405531_200405531

Appears to be the same...

Last edited:

utjb57

I welded all my new axle hardware with the hobart 140 and just got back from moab after running prichet,kane creek,hells revenge,gold bar rim,and rusty nail,
nothing broke or cracked.
take your time and go slow it will hold if yoy do it right

4x4_Welder

A 200 amp welder will draw a max of 4800 watts, or 21 amps at 220v, so you're well in the clear with a 30 amp circuit.
I've run my Miller Dynasty off 110v (Millers have auto-line, automatically sets itself for 110v-460v three phase) and as long as I stayed below about 100 amps, it was fine. When I cranked it up and tried to run 1/8 rod, it did trip breakers.
I now have an extension cord I made from an old RV cord, and it suits my needs quite well. Harbor Freight also carries a 50ft 10 gauge 110v extension cord that occasionally goes on sale for less than the cost of the wire to make your own cords-

Last edited:

rondo

rondo
I say also go with the biggest baddest 220 you can find. If you don't, then get the little welder but never use the big boys or you'll be pissed :)
I put a wire to my box by running it thru the wall into my garage, made my own extension cord with a box on the end. Really not $$. I only wish i'd made this cord a bit longer.

jentzschman

So its looking more and more that I am going with the Hobart 187.

I have been figuring out how long my extension cord needs to be and 50 feet is perfect. I have found 50 foot 10 gauge power cords online for ~60-90 bucks.

Can anyone recommend local places where I can get the ends or a good deal on the cable?

I am going to have to get an end that fis my dryer plug that has the "L" shaped prong and then the right end for the welder plug.

Thanks for any help. (sorry if this has been covered already. I did search).

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

I have been figuring out how long my extension cord needs to be and 50 feet is perfect. I have found 50 foot 10 gauge power cords online for ~60-90 bucks.

Can anyone recommend local places where I can get the ends or a good deal on the cable?

I am going to have to get an end that fis my dryer plug that has the "L" shaped prong and then the right end for the welder plug.

Home Depot. 10ga on a 50 foot cord might be too light? Maybe 8ga instead?

If you are just using a dryer outlet, you can switch the plug on the welder to use a dryer plug as well. Dryer plugs/outlets are cheaper than the NEMA50 plugs that your welder will most likely have on it.

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck

I purchased the 187 about a year ago, and it has been awesome. I cant remember what gauge wire I ended up getting. I went down to Codale Electric and bought 50 feet of what they recommended for a 220 welder. I was like 75 bucks said and done.