My welder dilema.

jentzschman

I purchased the 187 about a year ago, and it has been awesome. I cant remember what gauge wire I ended up getting. I went down to Codale Electric and bought 50 feet of what they recommended for a 220 welder. I was like 75 bucks said and done.

Nice. Thank you.

After reading almost all the reviews on Northern Tools, I think I am going to get this machine.

Thank you all for the help.

I will report back in a few weeks when I have enough to buy it to give some feed back.

Last edited:

jentzschman

I wish I could say I was 100% on board with the 187, but I cant.

I know I will be doing a sas/dual t-case on my Tacoma, and I know I will be doing some bobing and rear fender protection.

I know for sure I have 220 access now, at least 40 feet away from work area, but its still there. But I dont know how much longer that will last.

I may be going to school up at Weber state, and pretty sure then I will have no 220 outlet.

I just hate to buy a 110 and it not be enough down the road, but then hate to get the 220 only to not have access to an outlet.

Sorry guys, just really trying to make a wise purchase here.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The resale ability of a 220 welder will be much better than a 110, if you need to unload it later. Otherwise, save it for when you have a 220 outlet available again.

I just don't see a lot of value in a 110 welder. The 220 will do everything the 110 will, and much more.

jentzschman

The resale ability of a 220 welder will be much better than a 110, if you need to unload it later. Otherwise, save it for when you have a 220 outlet available again.

I just don't see a lot of value in a 110 welder. The 220 will do everything the 110 will, and much more.

Good point.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Or even more than 2 seperate circuits in the house ;) All you need are two 110 outlets, pulled from different phases, to make 220. Chances are these two circuits might be close to your 'work' area. :greg:

I couldn't agree more that a 220V welder has more value than a 110V. They also cost more. But they will also sell quicker for closer to what you paid for it.

sixstringsteve

I've never used a 220, but my 110 is working fine for me. It was my first welder, and I learned to weld on it. WIth the flux core it does everything I need. But you already knew that.

I still say get the biggest one you can afford. I've just had great luck with my 110. I like being able to go to home depot when I run out of wire, and I like being able to tote it around and take it to friends' houses.

I have no doubts that a 220 would be more desirable though.

sixstringsteve

220 will use the same wire as 110, so running to home depot/lowes works for both.

I did not know that. That's cool.

Trevor, just buy the best you can afford. If you're only going to weld sliders and a stinger, then stick with a cheap one. if you're sure you're going to build an exo, or do lots of welding, get the best tool you can buy.

I may be willing to sell my 110 if you want to buy used.

And I will say that learning how to weld right is more important than what welder you have. A good welder can make a 110 do more than a poor welder with a 220. I know you knew that, but before you start making structural stuff, take a class, or have a good friend teach you all they know.

Last edited:

jentzschman

Exo, maybe. The internal that 4x offers is what I like personally.
I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the 187 and a 50' extension cord.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
220 will use the same wire as 110, so running to home depot/lowes works for both.

Yup - it's not rocket science, it's just electricity. Think of it this way. You need two hots (220) and a common (preferrably a ground, not nuetral). :cool:

....You're dryer outlet will be two hots and a nuetral, because the dryer has a timer in it. Your welder doesn't, so it doesn't need the nuetral and a ground will be 'safer'. Safer because if it starts shorting out, the case of the welder won't turn hot (and shock you).:ugh:

jentzschman

Well, turns out I am going to keep the welder.

I was going to cancel the order, but I have been waiting for awhile to get this.

I received the Helmet today. Its the Northern Tools brand name one. Looks nice and got great reviews.

The welder will be here Monday!

Off the bat, Im going to fix my winch cable guide. Going to cut it off and move it back so its flush with the bumper.

Then going to make some rear bump stop extensions so the leafs dont go negative.

Then the fun comes. Going to either bob the bed or just do some rear fender protection for now, then bob later. Ya, I know I will have to redue it, but till I can decide for sure on the bob, that will have to do. No big deal.

Then going to work on a rear tire carrier.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Go round up some scrap pieces of steel, just to spend some time practicing, get the feel for the welder. (before you do anything you'll care about....)

Good choice, by the way. ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Round these parts, we have a place that sells scrap steel at scrap prices. You can typically find a pretty wide variety of material and at 30 cents a lb, it won't matter to much if you sell it back to them when your done :D

And along the same lines, I do buy scrap to use some times. There is an outfit in ID that has new sheets, but at scrap pricing. Just cuz it's scrap to someone, it might not be to you :D

jentzschman

Metal Mart sales scrap pretty cheap. That is where I will most likely go.

There is another place called Wasatch Steel in Salt Lake, but I like Metal Mart better.

Last edited: