Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I would skip the drywall and go straight to plywood. I regret sticking drywall on my walls. It gets dings and holes way too easy and often. If you had plywood, it would be significantly stronger more durable, and you could add accessories literally anywhere.
I expect I'll have an internal battle when that day comes because plywood is functional but looks terrible. I'm also intrigued by doing the metal like Shane did. That turned out :cool:

Lots to get to before that point though and I hope to have a better idea about where everything will go at that point

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I have a window on the south side of my garage bay and wish it was on the east wall. I thought about asking them to move it when we went under contract but didn't. My wood lathe is right in front of that wall and think it would be awesome to have a wide window there. It would also really help with cross ventilation. I've considered trying to cut in a space for a window there now and its seems like a big enough thing to screw up I haven't gotten very far. I'd be super interested in doing it though.

I don't know if you plan to have a stationary workbench somewhere in the shop but putting a window above where that bench is would be nice. Maybe your layout is up in the air enough you wouldn't be able to identify its spot, but I had my space figured out enough that I could have placed the window there.

N-Smooth

I have a window on the south side of my garage bay and wish it was on the east wall. I thought about asking them to move it when we went under contract but didn't. My wood lathe is right in front of that wall and think it would be awesome to have a wide window there. It would also really help with cross ventilation. I've considered trying to cut in a space for a window there now and its seems like a big enough thing to screw up I haven't gotten very far. I'd be super interested in doing it though.

I don't know if you plan to have a stationary workbench somewhere in the shop but putting a window above where that bench is would be nice. Maybe your layout is up in the air enough you wouldn't be able to identify its spot, but I had my space figured out enough that I could have placed the window there.
I’m planning on the bench/toolbox stuff on the southwest corner as of right now. So it’ll be close to or under the west window and should have lots of light from the skylights above. Good input for sure

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I expect I'll have an internal battle when that day comes because plywood is functional but looks terrible. I'm also intrigued by doing the metal like Shane did. That turned out :cool:

Lots to get to before that point though and I hope to have a better idea about where everything will go at that point
Another nice thing about the metal wainscot is you can see exactly where your studs are from the lower exposed screw heads. Toss a plumb laser up and mount whatever you want on the upper drywall 😎

edit: Also I've had to pull a couple panels off to run new wiring and it was such a life safer. Unbolt, run wire, bolt back up, done.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Another nice thing about the metal wainscot is you can see exactly where your studs are from the lower exposed screw heads. Toss a plumb laser up and mount whatever you want on the upper drywall 😎

edit: Also I've had to pull a couple panels off to run new wiring and it was such a life safer. Unbolt, run wire, bolt back up, done.
Those are both super nice features. It's definitely in my head for the future. Two of the walls will need to be fire rated so I'll probably have to sheetrock behind the metal on those but that's no biggie.

Tonkaman

I put up metal backing every 2’ on center vertically up the wall. This makes mounting things to the walls are not limited to finding a stud.
IMG_8611.jpegIMG_8613.jpegIMG_8623.jpegIMG_8620.jpeg

I also sheeted the walls in OSB. To make it look nice I caulked every seam and coated the whole thing in oil based primer and paint. The oil based primer is thick enough it really smother out the texture.

I also put a small mark on the floor in front of every stud so I can find them easily in the future. I sprayed the marks with clear laquer to keep them from disappearing.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Hijacking for a minute!!

My shop walls are 9’, with a door height of 8’.
I’d REALLY like to get a camper trailer inside sometimes. Like today when it’s raining and cold. My camper is too long to fully fit, but I’d at least be out of the rain for the most part.

My shop has footings level to the garage floor. No pony wall at all.

IMG_5475.jpeg

IMG_5476.jpeg

What do you think about the idea of lifting the whole shop up in the air, pouring a 4’ pony wall, and setting it back down? I guess I could even just frame a pony wall and re stucco the exterior.
I could add a window above the man door to fill the space, and get a taller garage door. It would require redoing some electrical and such, but I think that’s small potato’s compared to the rest.

J-mobzz

Hijacking for a minute!!

My shop walls are 9’, with a door height of 8’.
I’d REALLY like to get a camper trailer inside sometimes. Like today when it’s raining and cold. My camper is too long to fully fit, but I’d at least be out of the rain for the most part.

My shop has footings level to the garage floor. No pony wall at all.

View attachment 166622

View attachment 166623

What do you think about the idea of lifting the whole shop up in the air, pouring a 4’ pony wall, and setting it back down? I guess I could even just frame a pony wall and re stucco the exterior.
I could add a window above the man door to fill the space, and get a taller garage door. It would require redoing some electrical and such, but I think that’s small potato’s compared to the rest.
I had a friend do something similar on a much larger shop, but they raised just the roof. It turned out really good in the end.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Tesla did just the roof on their building off the north side of 201 last year. It looked weird and I didn't understand what was going on but it took someone months to do it so I had a lot of time to watch.

N-Smooth

It’s been a month since the concrete was done so I moved the flatbed in there to make my truck fit better on the sideyard. Happy day! I was going to move both trailers out of the way and then unhook and put the truck in there for a pic… but the electric jack on my camp trailer sh!t the bed and then the manual crank broke. So that made something simple into a bit of an ordeal.
I was bummed about how HUGE the trailer looks in there from ground level but the view from my window makes it look way better.
IMG_2334.jpeg
My thumb says hi.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It’s been a month since the concrete was done so I moved the flatbed in there to make my truck fit better on the sideyard. Happy day! I was going to move both trailers out of the way and then unhook and put the truck in there for a pic… but the electric jack on my camp trailer sh!t the bed and then the manual crank broke. So that made something simple into a bit of an ordeal.
I was bummed about how HUGE the trailer looks in there from ground level but the view from my window makes it look way better.
View attachment 167114
My thumb says hi.
Cutting the trailer down to a single axle will help with that…😬

N-Smooth

Cutting the trailer down to a single axle will help with that…😬
I’m thinking of keeping it tandem but taking out 3-4’
Seems like a reasonable solution

Why does your trailer deck look like a methhead's dental X-rays?
I took out the center boards pretty much the day I got it because of what @STAG said. The OSB piece is because my BIL had to get a pallet of something or other. I’ve also been adding random scrap pieces to keep it from falling apart though 😳