Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The engineering office got the plans to me today but they left out the scissor trusses and skylights 💩
1701988776030.png

In the meantime I've been working on gas for the future NG firepit. I decided the HizzleDizzle kit is the best option so I ordered it up. I actually already have plenty of the poly from my BIL but piecing together the kit at HD is wayyyy more expensive for some reason. I'm hoping to return the poly but I doubt it'll work. Oh well. Anybody ever mess with this stuff? I'm not getting a permit (because eff that) and I have a fire sprinkler buddy that'll help me with the plumbing and pressure test it. Seems like a win...?

1701988095242.png

Last edited:

Agility Customs

Vendor
The engineering office got the plans to me today but they left out the scissor trusses and skylights 💩
View attachment 167266

In the meantime I've been working on gas for the future NG firepit. I decided the HizzleDizzle kit is the best option so I ordered it up. I actually already have plenty of the poly from my BIL but piecing together the kit at HD is wayyyy more expensive for some reason. I'm hoping to return the poly but I doubt it'll work. Oh well. Anybody ever mess with this stuff? I'm not getting a permit (because eff that) and I have a fire sprinkler buddy that'll help me with the plumbing and pressure test it. Seems like a win...?

View attachment 167264

Your definately going to burn your house down

Pike2350

View attachment 167266

View attachment 167264
I ran my own line to my garage with a tee to my firepit. SUPER EASY. After I was done (the depth in my yard was the worst part...so many roots and rocks) I had my wife's uncle come do a pressure test on it. Kept pressure....so we hooked it up.

Luckily, with the addition, they are finally coming back tomorrow to hook it back up, so we will have heat in the garage....a little too cold for the firepit though.

Pile of parts

I ran that to my shop and even had it inspected. Easy enough to work with and inspection was just a pressure test. System has to hold pressure for x amount of time. They also want to see the open trench to check depth. You can run gas and electric in the same trench.

N-Smooth

Your definately going to burn your house down
That's a risk I'm willing to take, cutie pie. I still need the dimensions of your mini-split condenser when you get a sec.

I ran my own line to my garage with a tee to my firepit. SUPER EASY. After I was done (the depth in my yard was the worst part...so many roots and rocks) I had my wife's uncle come do a pressure test on it. Kept pressure....so we hooked it up.

Luckily, with the addition, they are finally coming back tomorrow to hook it back up, so we will have heat in the garage....a little too cold for the firepit though.
Good to hear you didn't think it was difficult. It seems pretty straight-forward to me and the pressure test will make me feel good about it.

I ran that to my shop and even had it inspected. Easy enough to work with and inspection was just a pressure test. System has to hold pressure for x amount of time. They also want to see the open trench to check depth. You can run gas and electric in the same trench.
For one I'm sick of giving WJ money for permits/inspections. Secondly, I can't even find their code on fire pits and/or gas lines but I expect they'd have some issues with how close it'll be to my house so I'd rather not open myself up for their scrutiny. I'm a little concerned that they'll walk past it for an inspection on the shop and take notice so I'll have to figure out a way to avoid that- like locking the gate on that side. Like I said above, I'm not concerned about safety since I'll pressure test it. Most I'm seeing online is people saying 10 PSI for 2 hours or so but I'd like to just do it overnight or similar.

Pile of parts

Yeah, I guess if you're not taking out a permit on the build anyway... I did because I figured a detached garage was big enough the city could see it from the street and too much of an investment to have to tear it down if they didn't approve. The big benefit is, you buy the permit and the inspections are free.🤣

N-Smooth

Yeah, I guess if you're not taking out a permit on the build anyway... I did because I figured a detached garage was big enough the city could see it from the street and too much of an investment to have to tear it down if they didn't approve. The big benefit is, you buy the permit and the inspections are free.🤣
Oh yeah the garage is going to be permitted because there’s no way I have good enough luck to get away with that. My neighbor got busted by the city during his freaking deck build. They just drive around our neighborhood since it’s new.

Pile of parts

Ah, gotcha. South Jordan had a pretty extensive packet about the codes and regulations when I designed and built mine. They were also good to talk with when I had questions. I had all my locations for gas and electrical listed on my plans. I also had to provide where power and gas were coming from. I certainly could have not told them there would be gas and done it later, but since I had to trench for power and the gas could run in the same trench, it was just as easy to go through the process. Especially since I had it all approved prior to construction.

N-Smooth

Ah, gotcha. South Jordan had a pretty extensive packet about the codes and regulations when I designed and built mine. They were also good to talk with when I had questions. I had all my locations for gas and electrical listed on my plans. I also had to provide where power and gas were coming from. I certainly could have not told them there would be gas and done it later, but since I had to trench for power and the gas could run in the same trench, it was just as easy to go through the process. Especially since I had it all approved prior to construction.
Yeah I’ve always had great luck finding their code stuff online but I can’t find crap about gas. I’d call and ask but then I’m afraid I’m on their radar lol. Since it’s just a 20’ run to a fire pit I’m not really concerned.

rholbrook

Hijacking for a minute!!

My shop walls are 9’, with a door height of 8’.
I’d REALLY like to get a camper trailer inside sometimes. Like today when it’s raining and cold. My camper is too long to fully fit, but I’d at least be out of the rain for the most part.

My shop has footings level to the garage floor. No pony wall at all.

View attachment 166622

View attachment 166623

What do you think about the idea of lifting the whole shop up in the air, pouring a 4’ pony wall, and setting it back down? I guess I could even just frame a pony wall and re stucco the exterior.
I could add a window above the man door to fill the space, and get a taller garage door. It would require redoing some electrical and such, but I think that’s small potato’s compared to the rest.
My neighbor did just this. It was a waste of time and money in my opinion. He only went up a foot or two. He just pre-framed some 2x4 walls, lifted his shop and put the new walls under it.

STAG

On my grind
1” poly seems excessively sized?

I’ve used those push-couplers on a repair, I talked to a gasline guy about it and he said he doesn’t worry about those couplers leaking at all.

N-Smooth

Honestly if you don’t see pressure loss after 2 hours it’s plenty. If you’re worried, don’t extend the test, raise the pressure. You’ll expose weak spots much easier that way.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

1” poly seems excessively sized?

I’ve used those push-couplers on a repair, I talked to a gasline guy about it and he said he doesn’t worry about those couplers leaking at all.
I got it for free and wondered the same thing but the charts I’m finding about that are based on distance the pipe has to travel and size say 1” is good for 196k BTU. 3/4” would be 110 and 1/2” would be 52. I read a lot about people getting their fire pit done and then being pissed that the flames don’t go very high at all. I’d rather have mine be overkill and have to turn it down than be bummed out by it being weak sauce.

Oh and I’ve seen a couple videos where people had leaks from the couplers. Some bad reviews on HD as well. I assume people are idiots and they just didn’t cut them flush but I dunno.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
We ran underground poly gas line when I did my shop. We didn’t use any couplers, my HVAC guy used a neat tool to ‘weld’ the joint inside my shop. In hindsight, I wish I would have run gas out to our fire pit like you’re doing. We did kick a gas stub out for our BBQ.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
We did the same - ran gas line to the shop and had a firepit line Teed into it and placed in the backyard. The inspection was a pressure test as everyone else has said. The inspector didn't inspect the trenching or measure depth at all. Now actually putting in a firepit will be a project for next year. The gas stub is in the yard, next is to pour a slab or use bricks to form the foundation. We'll get that done and then look at fire pits.

In more more firepit discussion

Pile of parts

Oh and I’ve seen a couple videos where people had leaks from the couplers. Some bad reviews on HD as well. I assume people are idiots and they just didn’t cut them flush but I dunno.
Mine leaked on my first test. Make sure you use a couple of big pipe wrenches and tighten the coupling down all the way. And like you said, cut your ends square. You won't have any problem if you do that.

N-Smooth

So last night I spent about an hour scouring the interwebs for some type of fire code and came up empty. So I called WJ building dept to ask them- against my better judgement- and the guy was super confused. He said he handles the gas line part but how far from structures etc is up to WJ Fire Marshal. So I asked him how deep I need to bury the lines and he was like "ummm uhhhh... just do a couple feet and bury a tracer wire about a foot above it" so that's clear as mud. I had no concerns about how I'm burying it but thought I'd ask since I had him on the phone. Regrets.

I tried calling the FD 3x now and can't get anyone on the phone. Pretty standard nonsense in my experience.