Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I was going to have Tyson frame my garage. I text him and his kid got ahold of his phone and opened my text. He never saw it until about 3 months later and I had just hired my friend to do the job with me.

I would reach out again. Good possibility he never saw the text.

Exterior prices look in line with todays costs, however your interior bid items look considerably marked up. I bet the contractor is subbing out all the interior items and charging you mark up on each to cover his ass.

If that's the case, I'd have him complete the exterior line items and find your own subs to do each of the interior items or do them yourself.

Also, I recommend doing sun tunnels not skylights. They are cheaper, throw just as much light and lower maintenance in the long run.

My 0.02 cents.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I like this estimate a lot more lol

He didn't include electrical or skylights in the estimate. Those were $3,100 and $3,750 on the other estimate so it's still considerably cheaper. He said he would need to see the electrical situation and hear my plans before adding it as a line item. Skylights I'm betting he forgot.

1703614778272.png

N-Smooth

I’ve been sitting on this, waiting for the weather to warm up, for bonus/raise time and f’n tax time. Ugh.

I just got a bid on the framing, roofing and soffit/fascia. This guy built my neighbor’s deck and did a killer job. He’s also building his own (albeit bigger) detached garage right now. I’m impressed with his work and he’s the only contractor that has actually come out to talk to me and not just quoted via email or phone. I like that. It means something. He’s also a general contractor and would do the whole building but after talking to me about it and hearing my experience so far he thinks I should sub it out. If you look at the numbers he came in WAY lower than the others.

IMG_2854.jpeg

N-Smooth

I just realized he didn’t include the skylights, which makes him the second person to do that haha. The other quotes for skylights and windows were $2,400 and $4,550. I expect he’ll come in below both of those. I need to run some numbers on what it will cost me to sheet it and then I’ll have an idea of what it would cost to get it up and dried in at least. Progress! Maybe?

N-Smooth

I finally had a minute to compare the numbers to the other quotes. The cost difference in these still absolutely blows my mind.

The $73k quote:
$32,600 for framed and sheeted
$4,000 for roofing
$4,550 foor skylights and the one window
$1,792 for soffit/fascia
---------
$42,942 total

The $53k quote:
$18,250 for framed and sheeted
$5,000 for roofing
$2,400 for skylights and the one window
xxxxxx soffit not mentioned anywhere but likely included. fascia mentioned on framing line item
---------
$25,650 total

Newest quote:
$8,250 for framed but not sheeted
$2,700 for roofing
xxxxxx skylights and the one window not included
$1,300 for soffit and fascia
-----------
$12,250 total-ish

Obviously the latest quote doesn't include sheeting, the skylights or the window. I texted him last night about the skylights and he said he omitted it because he needs to talk to his roofing buddy and see what he recommends. I get that. I really like the velux skylights my FIL recommended and they're ~$1500 total with the flashing kits. I think the quote of $2,400 for the skylights and window is probably pretty fair so if added to the latest one the total is $16,650.

I need to call the city and find out what sheeting I'm required to use for the outside fire break (on two sides) and then I can run numbers on sheeting materials and doing it myself. Where do you guys land on OSB vs CDX for the non-fire walls?

N-Smooth

I worked on the fire pit plumbing today. Got the other end all done and put my ghetto pressure tester on it.
IMG_2981.jpeg
5h20m later:
IMG_2985.jpeg
Done-zo.

I just needed to get this done so I could fill the trench and work on the side-yard area.

N-Smooth

I suppose this is as good a place as any for this. I’m prepping my yard for sod here shortly and have a wide aluminum landscaping rake but it sucks. So I was looking at this style and was kind of blown away by the price… so I stopped by Wasatch on my lunch and got $19 of angle iron. I had an extra rake handle, some small tube to use as a sleeve, a bolt and bam, she done. It was a very quick and dirty project, with very little measuring lol but it should work MINT. It’s 48x12. None of this 30x10 nonsense. That’s for little girls.
IMG_3002.jpeg

N-Smooth

I submitted the engineered plans, a quick hand-drawn electrical plan and the building permit paperwork to the city 2 weeks ago this Friday. They just got back to me and said "it's approved, pay up sucka" so I reluctantly paid my $842 (ugh) and should be getting the permit shortly.

I'm going to go ahead with the last quote I got to frame, roof, and do the soffit/fascia. I asked him to add the skylights to the bid and he said if I buy them he'll just install them (for $35 lol) and I really like that. He seems like a real straight-shooter and I am impressed by the work he's done for my neighbor. He also offered to bid me on any of the remaining pieces besides stucco so we'll see where that goes.

I worked through some more details with the city about the blocking for panel edges, nailing schedules etc and the guy I've talked to a few times now has been really helpful. He even went over the inspection process and gave me some tips to minimize the number of visits from their inspectors.

So yeah, now I'm excited/anxious to actually get it moving and I can't wait to do the sheeting and stumble (learn) my way through some of the other stuff.

Coco

Hey can I borrow that to do some sand leveling action in my backyard? May even have to add some more dirt and re-sod in some areas. haha

N-Smooth

Hey can I borrow that to do some sand leveling action in my backyard? May even have to add some more dirt and re-sod in some areas. haha
Absolutely. That’s part of the reason I built it, to let neighbors and friends borrow it.

N-Smooth

Today has been fun. I spent a while on the phone with the contractor and the city. I learned a few things:

The city will not budge on using Type X drywall on the outside of one of the walls, the one between me and the only neighbor. That wall needs it inside and out. Like for real, Type X on the inside of the wall… then on the outside it’ll be OSB, then Type X again. It’s dumb. The contractor was pushing back saying it makes no sense so I tried and tried and the city wouldn’t back down. I was able to talk them into just doubling up sheets of it on the inside of the wall that borders the HOA field. So that was a small win I guess.

Oh and I also found out that the quote the contractor gave me covers sheeting it too. So that’s cool and I feel even better about the pricing now. He’s adjusting a few things but will get me the final estimate tonight, I’ll accept and we’ll get the ball rolling. Excitement/anxiety at the same time!

I spent my lunch hour yesterday building this cute little retaining wall on the west side to make sure snowmelt from the field doesn’t go down the little corridor. Then on lunch today I got the weed guard down and spread some rock. I’m happy with it. I’ll finish the other side after work.

IMG_3080.jpeg
IMG_3084.jpeg
IMG_3083.jpeg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Today has been fun. I spent a while on the phone with the contractor and the city. I learned a few things:

The city will not budge on using Type X drywall on the outside of one of the walls, the one between me and the only neighbor. That wall needs it inside and out. Like for real, Type X on the inside of the wall… then on the outside it’ll be OSB, then Type X again. It’s dumb. The contractor was pushing back saying it makes no sense so I tried and tried and the city wouldn’t back down. I was able to talk them into just doubling up sheets of it on the inside of the wall that borders the HOA field. So that was a small win I guess.

Oh and I also found out that the quote the contractor gave me covers sheeting it too. So that’s cool and I feel even better about the pricing now. He’s adjusting a few things but will get me the final estimate tonight, I’ll accept and we’ll get the ball rolling. Excitement/anxiety at the same time!

I spent my lunch hour yesterday building this cute little retaining wall on the west side to make sure snowmelt from the field doesn’t go down the little corridor. Then on lunch today I got the weed guard down and spread some rock. I’m happy with it. I’ll finish the other side after work.

View attachment 170465
View attachment 170466
View attachment 170467
That looks like a great place for a tubing rack to store steel. I'd make sure your roof gets as close to that fence as possible. Free covered storage.

N-Smooth

That looks like a great place for a tubing rack to store steel. I'd make sure your roof gets as close to that fence as possible. Free covered storage.
The overhand can only be 1' and hey man it's not AZ. I'm still thinking of what I can put there though...

Pike2350

Oh fun, now it gets to sit in the s-now. Still exciting!!
Don't worry...I had my lumber sitting in front of my house for a good 1.5 months from Oct-Nov getting drenched. All was good (with the lumber anyway 🤣 )

Exciting to be at this step. Nothing better then getting progress on something you've wanted and worked for for so long.