Nate's crappy 93 XJ

Nate's crappy 93 XJ "Snowflake/Ice Princess"

Owners Name & City- Nate, West Jordan, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Stripped-down 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country buggy thingy

Engine- 4.0L, HD motor mounts

Transmission- Aisin Warner 4-Speed auto, gear selection switches, big tranny cooler

T-Case- NP231, stock

Axles - HP Dana 30 front w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Torq-Masters Chromo shafts with JK joints
-Chrysler 8.25 rear w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Riddler diff cover, shaved a bit

Suspension- 3" coils + 2" spacers in the front w/custom 3-link mid-arm, center limit strap, hockey puck bumpstop extensions; stock leaf packs in the rear with additional springs added (7 total) + lift shackles, homebuilt traction bar

Wheels and Tires- 35x12.5r17 Maxxis short course stickies on Raceline Beadlocks

Winch- Guys pulling on a strap usually does it

Favorite Trails- Hell's Revenge, The Maze, Green Day, Nasty Half, Sliplock, Pritchett

Other- Cut in half; power steering cooler; Custom heim steering & tracbar; JCR skid plate; RCI Race cell with Walbro pickups; LED rock lights; Unibody stiffeners; custom boat-sides & bumpers

1-ejs09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Yeah, I was just planning on keeping the bolt super tight but if it comes to making it double shear I'm fine with that as well.

I really think you'd be much happier if you just did the work to double shear it now instead of waiting to fix it when it gets wobbly (it will.) That way you don't have a wallowed-out hole to deal with while fixing it. Just my $0.02.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I really think you'd be much happier if you just did the work to double shear it now instead of waiting to fix it when it gets wobbly (it will.) That way you don't have a wallowed-out hole to deal with while fixing it. Just my $0.02.

I appreciate your 2 cents. I doubt it will happen before OSRC/Sand Hollow but I can make it a priority after that. Do you guys have any pics of doing this on a d30? I'm just curious about what thickness to use and pre-heat/cool down tips etc.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I haven't done it on a D30, but on the 44 I just used 1/4" steel...don't remember exactly what, but it might have been something like 2" wide flat bar for the main horizontal piece with the hole in it--just extending straight back from the top of the heim spacer, to where it contacted the knuckle. Then a vertical gusset filling in the triangular space created underneath that, going down to the steering arm itself. Clean well, warm up with a propane torch, weld away. (or something along those lines)

N-Smooth

I haven't done it on a D30, but on the 44 I just used 1/4" steel...don't remember exactly what, but it might have been something like 2" wide flat bar for the main horizontal piece with the hole in it--just extending straight back from the top of the heim spacer, to where it contacted the knuckle. Then a vertical gusset filling in the triangular space created underneath that, going down to the steering arm itself. Clean well, warm up with a propane torch, weld away. (or something along those lines)

That's pretty much what I was picturing as I've seen it on other axles. I'm wanting to replace my balljoints because they're probably the factory units and it seems like it'd be an opportune time for this project. Thanks for the info Carl!

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Back to the rock cross talk..... I have this chilling in my basement just for you Nate But only if you want to win

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Back to the rock cross talk..... I have this chilling in my basement just for you Nate But only if you want to win

You know I want to win! Probably a great idea to put that on a 21 year-old motor with 200k miles

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
You know I want to win! Probably a great idea to put that on a 21 year-old motor with 200k miles

A wise man once told me in regards to older high mileage motors "Nitrous just fills the gaps"

You cant argue with wise old men..........

N-Smooth

A wise man once told me in regards to older high mileage motors "Nitrous just fills the gaps"

You cant argue with wise old men..........

Hey, we already have a HP advantage against the Toyota guys without the nitrous... No need to make it super unfair ;)

See what you did? You made me talk trash to Toyota guys. I hope you're happy.

N-Smooth

Decided to whip up some diy sunshades for the kiddo. No sun can get to him through the back since the car seat is so huge so we built covers for the only areas that do let light through- the sides. Not bad for like $20 and a little time.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Got it all loaded up for heading to OSRC first thing in the morning. Wooo!
image.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
What's the mesh stuff your sunshades are made from? Might make a neat bikini top at some point. :cool:

N-Smooth

What's the mesh stuff your sunshades are made from? Might make a neat bikini top at some point. :cool:

Did you sacrifice you're trampoline to make the shades? They look good. :cool:

From lowes by the screen door stuff and is called "sun guard"
I saw a write-up for a guy that made a whole top out of it for a JK. It's just like the mesh tops you can buy. Then buy some hammer-together grommets and bungees and you're set!

Edit: as you can see mine has a 2" fold and is sewn. They say you don't have to sew them but my wife likes sewing so I opted for it. I would at least recommend folding it and ironing 1.5-2" with some cloth on top so you don't melt it.

Last edited:

STAG

2C1765D4-2599-4319-A990-2FE8406E3F6E_zpsfyesvezm.png

860FB332-0F4C-4B14-BD6E-EE3C06FF7FE7_zpsiq3p7ps3.png

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Haha that's awesome. Thanks man!
Here I am on the trail in sand hollow and my pocket buzzes and it's this post!

N-Smooth

I am so mad I had to leave before the rock race!!!!

You should be, it was aaaaamazing! Really though it was kind of a mess since Robbie rolled 10 seconds in and another competitor dnf'd and there were some communication issues with the flags but it was still way fun. I would certainly run it again in a heartbeat