New Bike! '08 KTM 300 XC

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
As some of you know, I sold my '04 WR450 in an effort to get a lighter, more maneuverable bike for the kind of riding I like to do. I heard Caleb's '08 KTM 300 XC was back on the market and decided it was a great bike for my needs. Caleb outfitted the bike very well and did several mods that I would have done, along with other mods that are model-specific I didn't know about. Here's a list of the mods as I got it;

Rekluse EXP 2.0
Highway Dirtbikes Handguards
3.7 Gal IMS Desert tank
Trail Tech X2 Torch Offroad Halogen headlight
JD Jetting kit
Pro Taper KX High bend bars
ODI removable grips
MSR Extended throttle cable
Acerbis plastic skid plate
Trail Tech exhaust flange protector

I have some changes of my own to make, mostly minor. I plan to update this thread with those changes. ;)

I was able to get out and ride the bike for the first time (other than the test ride) today and decided to head out to Rabbit Valley, about 15 min West of Fruita. It's been years since I rode a 2 stroke... my last 2T was a 1990 KTM 250 MX... and it was only a few years old when I had it! That should tell you how long it's been. I decided to stick with some of the easier trails at first, rode the Rim Trail and it didn't take me long to be VERY impressed with the bike. The suspension works so well, it makes you look like you know what you're doing! The weight is ideal, seat height is good, power is very manageable... but it will RUN when you get on the pipe! After riding the Rim Trail, I hit up another flowing, fun singletrack trail with some steep climbs and drops. I thought that would be enough to get to know the KTM 300, but I was feeling good and had plenty of fuel left... so I headed over to Trail #8. Trail 8 is very technical, I've ridden it twice before... never alone. The 300 XC had me feeling pretty good, so I worked my way to the trailhead and rode the complete trail with only one break!

Riding the KTM 300 XC is like cheating... especially with the Rekluse clutch. Technical sections become easy, you can literally crawl the bike up nasty, rocky ledges. The power with the Rekluse is silly, it just tractors up most anything... as long as you have enough momentum to keep the bike upright. You can be a gear high and get the same results, it's simply amazing. I'm still getting used to it, but I love it. I think the Rekluse is going to make me lazy at clutch work, I was getting pretty good with my WR.

Pics -

P1010122-XL.jpg

P1010120-XL.jpg

P1010126-XL.jpg

I noticed my wrists were sore about an hour into the ride, not sure if that's the '2 stroke' vibes or the height of the bars. Even with the High Bend bars, I think I'm going to put on some bar risers, different grips and possibly some anti-vibe inserts.

Caleb mentioned that the front tire wasn't the best and after my ride, I agree... I nearly dropped the bike several times after it washed out on me. I purchased a Scorpion Pro F.I.M. to replace the current Bridgestone. I plan to toss in a Bib Mousse so I won't have to worry about front flats. I also picked up another Pirelli MT43 Trails tire for the rear and will run that with an Ultra HD tube... but after today's ride, I don't know that it's going on right away. With the Rekluse, the knobbie hooks up pretty good!

I have some video, need to work on editing & uploading them... later tonight, perhaps?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Awesome! You resisted for a long time, but finally came over to the Euro side. Greg on a KTM running a bib mousse... Love it! :D

sixstringsteve

Love it. You can't go wrong with that bike. I must say, I am 100% sold on my trials tire in the rear. I know you've had both, so it'll be interesting to see what you go with. Glad to hear you're liking it.

Greg

Admin
Sexy bike

That it is! Caleb took good care of it and set it up right.

Nice! I'm excited to see what you do with this bike :cool:

Hopefully not much more than a whole lot of riding! I love the bike.

Uh oh I guess I better plan another trip down south soon

For sure! I'd love to get back to White Wash and Dead Cow soon.

oh how I want a Rekluse!!

Congrats Greg!

After riding this one, I think you will really love the Rekluse with that WR450. You don't have to work nearly as hard in the rough stuff, just motor up the nasty ledges. With the torque of that 450 and the Rekluse, you'll be loving the bike. I don't feel nearly as worn out as I used to.

Awesome! You resisted for a long time, but finally came over to the Euro side. Greg on a KTM running a bib mousse... Love it! :D

Who would have thought... :cody: The Bib sounds like a great idea, especially for this bike and the kind if riding it will see. This is another first for me, we will see how it goes, but the idea of no front flats sounds great!

Love it. You can't go wrong with that bike. I must say, I am 100% sold on my trials tire in the rear. I know you've had both, so it'll be interesting to see what you go with. Glad to hear you're liking it.

Agreed! I want to hear more about your trials tire impressions. The trials tire will eventually end up on the KTM, but now I don't feel like I'm need to get it on ASAP. Perhaps riding the Slickrock trail will change my mind, seems like knobbies are pretty slippery in some spots out there.

Sweet. Congrats on the new ride!

Thanks Matt!

You'll love it. Congrats.

Already do! We need to get together for another ride... one where you don't back out. :p

Kind of dusty at the moment, I need to wash it.

Is there really much more that could be done to this bike? Seemed like it was setup perfect when we rode last year.

Stay tuned... ;) Mostly I'm going to tweak it for myself, nothing too crazy. But there are some changes coming.

Greg

Admin
Here's a video from yesterdays ride, as always it's available in HD!

Something to watch.... my left hand and the lack of clutching. I have some work to do with my comfort of using the clutch to loft the front tire, my old WR had enough power that just a 'blip' of the throttle and the front end was up. The KTM 300 has good torque, but it comes on differently than my WR, I need to get better used to the KTM and working the clutch and throttle to loft the front end. There will probably be some engine mods coming to improve the bottom-end in the near future.

[video=youtube;JaI3o1pfqtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JaI3o1pfqtw#![/video]

sixstringsteve

I want to hear more about your trials tire impressions. The trials tire will eventually end up on the KTM, but now I don't feel like I'm need to get it on ASAP. Perhaps riding the Slickrock trail will change my mind, seems like knobbies are pretty slippery in some spots out there.

I don't represent the normal demographic for dirt bikers, so bear that in mind when I talk about my trials tires. I like the rocky, technical stuff. I don't ride with much wheelspin, and I can't power slide/drift at 60 MPH on gravel sweepers like you, so bear that in mind. I run my trials tires a bit lower than most people run their rear tires. i'm usually around 12-16 psi. I found that I could still control the reslide when I wanted to. The real improvement comes from low-traction conditions like climbing rocks. In a situation where a regular knobby would just spin and spin on me, my tire just hooks up and motors up it. I ended up riding my bike more like a trials bike because it had predictable traction all over the place. I didn't have to worry about the tire spinning or slipping in loose conditions.

As a trail rider who likes the rocky nasty stuff, I can't imagine a different tire. I wish they made a trials tire with trials knobbies on the side so you could get the benefits of both worlds. Even at the expense of seat height, I love my trials tire. Now a trials tire in the front, that's an ENTIRELY different story. They absolutely suck for anything other than strict competitive trials riding. I'm still looking for a good front tire, I don't like my current one.

sixstringsteve

You look a lot more loose and nimble on the video compared to your old WR videos. That looks like an awesome ride, right up my alley.

Greg

Admin
I don't represent the normal demographic for dirt bikers, so bear that in mind when I talk about my trials tires. I like the rocky, technical stuff. I don't ride with much wheelspin, and I can't power slide/drift at 60 MPH on gravel sweepers like you, so bear that in mind. I run my trials tires a bit lower than most people run their rear tires. i'm usually around 12-16 psi. I found that I could still control the reslide when I wanted to. The real improvement comes from low-traction conditions like climbing rocks. In a situation where a regular knobby would just spin and spin on me, my tire just hooks up and motors up it. I ended up riding my bike more like a trials bike because it had predictable traction all over the place. I didn't have to worry about the tire spinning or slipping in loose conditions.

As a trail rider who likes the rocky nasty stuff, I can't imagine a different tire. I wish they made a trials tire with trials knobbies on the side so you could get the benefits of both worlds. Even at the expense of seat height, I love my trials tire. Now a trials tire in the front, that's an ENTIRELY different story. They absolutely suck for anything other than strict competitive trials riding. I'm still looking for a good front tire, I don't like my current one.

Totally makes sense, for steep, rocky & nasty riding a rear trials tire is ideal. I think you will find the same thing on the mountain trails, like the AF Canyon singletrack. Places where a knobbie will spin and loose forward momentup, the trials tire will allow your bike to just chug right up. Good to hear you're happy with it!

You look a lot more loose and nimble on the video compared to your old WR videos. That looks like an awesome ride, right up my alley.

I fully agree, the bike works with me and isn't such a hassle when it gets loose. On top of that, the suspension works so much better. It's hard to explain, but the difference is huge. As far as weight and size, it's easier to save when I almost drop it. I think I was pretty good with handling the old WR, but it took a lot of energy to do so. I think I will enjoy the KTM 300 for a long time.

If you ever want to ride out here, let me know. We can spend a day out at Rabbit Valley, then another day in the North Fruita Desert and ride down 21 Road. There's some great riding out here.

sixstringsteve

If you ever want to ride out here, let me know. We can spend a day out at Rabbit Valley, then another day in the North Fruita Desert and ride down 21 Road. There's some great riding out here.

Deal! What time of year should I avoid? When is it too hot?

Greg

Admin
Deal! What time of year should I avoid? When is it too hot?

Most anything past May-June and into August... Summers are pretty warm and I don't care for riding in the heat. Spring and Fall riding is perfect, we're usually a few degrees cooler than Moab if that gives you an idea.