New Bike! '08 KTM 300 XC

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
still loving this bike?

Yeah, I'm still getting used to the 2 stoke powerband vs 4 stroke in really rocky, technical trails where I need a burst of controlled speed... but not too much. The suspension works amazing, the weight and power are excellent and it just flat works. If I sold it, I have no idea what I'd replace it with... so it's going to stick around a bit longer.

I personally prefer a carbon fiber pipe guard. My guard is beat to hell, but the pipe still looks great.

I've heard good things about those, does it protect the underneath of the pipe, where mine is dented? I will say that the Hyde guard has been thru hell... it's done it's job, but I think I've asked too much of it a couple times. ;)

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
It wraps around the bottom and has quite a bit of structural integrity. The one you have protects a lot of area from rocks and rubs but does not have much structural integrity against impacts. They serve a great purpose and are great for the average trail ride, but we all know it is easy to get away from average.

Caleb

FWIW, when you bought the bike, there was a small dent there already. Not sure if it was that big, but it was pre-dented. I recently ordered a P3 carbon fiber heat shield (4 stroke equivalent to a pipe guard :D). It's still being made, I've heard they take forever to ship, but they are supposedly the nicest out there. They make one for the 300 with an FMF pipe too. A little spendy but not horrible.

Greg

Admin
It wraps around the bottom and has quite a bit of structural integrity. The one you have protects a lot of area from rocks and rubs but does not have much structural integrity against impacts. They serve a great purpose and are great for the average trail ride, but we all know it is easy to get away from average.

Good to know... I'll probably keep this guard with the FMF Gnarly, long as I can make them work together. The Hyde is only supposed to fit the stock pipe.

FWIW, when you bought the bike, there was a small dent there already. Not sure if it was that big, but it was pre-dented. I recently ordered a P3 carbon fiber heat shield (4 stroke equivalent to a pipe guard :D). It's still being made, I've heard they take forever to ship, but they are supposedly the nicest out there. They make one for the 300 with an FMF pipe too. A little spendy but not horrible.

Yeah, I remember that small dent... the pipe is pretty beat up these days. I was looking at the Eline pipe guard. I've heard it's one of the better ones.

Caleb

Hmm too bad now I'm even more lost in my decision.

On a side note, that 300 looks absolutely sick!

Ya know, I had the Acerbis plastic skid on Greg's 300 when I had it and I far preferred it over an aluminum skid. That's why I'm going with a CF skid on my 500 and removing the aluminum skid it came with. The plastic skid back mount did pop off a couple times but it wasn't a big deal. Just popped it back in place and off I went. As a skid I like them, as a guard like Greg has, I can see where they may not give the support you'd want. The aluminum skids stiffen the bike (in a negative way, IMO), they cause a lot more of the sounds to come back towards you, and they don't really slide that well over obstacles. you don;t have any of these problems with a plastic skid.

Cascadia

Undecided
I have had zero problems with my plastic skid I bought for my Ktm. Bought it the day I bought the bike. It has taken a beating and still looks brand new. The should make the whole bike out of the stuff, it still looks that good. Mine has never popped off either. I'd get another one no questions asked.

Greg

Admin
Well, today was the end of my 300 ownership. It's been about a year since I bought it, the bike has allowed me to ride some epic, gnarly trails and it has been such a blast.... but it was simply time for something different. I have a feeling that this bike will be very missed at times and hopefully the new bike comes close to filling the hole the 300 left. Hopefully we will hear more about it from the new owner, as it went to another RME member. :cool: