New H3

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
jeepin4x4james said:
............. Those I-5 3500 engines are sweet, especially with the available turbo. ...........

:confused::confused::confused::confused:.......I don't see ANYTHING about a turbo on the webpage.

I've also seen them driving around and am SURE I'm not interested in owning one.

waynehartwig said:

I guess your definition of 'ultimate' and mine are different? Yours has to do with size and I'm going for a more balanced, smaller, more capable vehicle.

JF1

Guy in my building at work has one. I kinda like them. H2 is too big, this would fit just fine in my garage. :cool:

krazz1e

H3 does not look like a KJ! :rofl:

kane2.jpg

I did look at the H3 at the dealership and it does have potential, however I will still take a Rubicon over it since out of the box the Rubicon is much more capable with a SFA & cheaper!

2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Lifted, 31" Tires & Armored

1996 Land Rover Disco

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I thought they looked ok, close to the size of a Cherokee. And actually, more capable than an H2 maybe. I still wouldn't buy one.

and no they do not look like a Liberty. Hickey, pass the pipe por favor. :eek:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
waynehartwig said:
GM has screwed up the ultimate 4x4, period. :rolleyes:

???ultimate 4x4???

who wants a "capable" stock vehicle anyways? i thought it was all about building.
i personally don't like them, but it is not nearly as retarded as an h2.

4x4phil

Maybe some of us are being a little hard on the machine. Install a front locker and it's a better wheeler than the H2. Lighter, locked in the rear, and I don't know of too many vehicles that size that can run 33s stock. Not too big, little more maneuverable, 4:1 tc. Most guys I know don't have that much on their 4x4. Besides, if gm built a vehicle strictly for rock crawlers...Oh yea, they already do, the H1. The only reason the H1 is worth producing is because of the military. I love the H1. But who can afford it? In truth I like the H3 better than the H2. If I had the money I'd buy a jeep, but I don't, and most people that have the money don't like jeeps cause they aren't comfortable enough. I agree that people will buy it just to say they have a Hummer. But all this just sounds like good marketing. I think they have a good seller on their hands. It'll probably outsell the H1 and H2 combined. Fact is that there's really no point building another wheeler when they have the H1 and jeep has the rest of that market cornered. We can ***** about it all we want, but they don't care, cause it isn't made for us. It's made for a much grander majority of the world.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I agree with 4x4Phil, I like the H3 a whole lot better than the H2, and it's potential. But my point on the whole rant is look what GM did to the H1. Everyone that the H2 was a joke when it came out and now the H3 must be the punchline.

wipedawg

Greg said:
I'd imagine it would be fairly capable with a 4 to 1, Rear Locker & 33" tires. I ran Hells Revenge in my completley stock TRD Tacoma... having bigger tires & a better crawl ratio would have made it easier for sure.

I'd like to see a H3 on the trail. Sounds pretty capable for being a factory offered vehicle.

my friend ran hells revenge in a yj with a 2 in shackle lift and 30 inch tires... hells revenge isn't hard if you take all the bypasses :)
now if you actually hit all the obstacles.. then my hat is off to you

N-Smooth

4x4phil said:
Besides, if gm built a vehicle strictly for rock crawlers...Oh yea, they already do, the H1.

whoa i didn't know that h1s are rockcrawlers :eek: :eek:

could have sworn i saw one break a cv and get towed up an obstacle i did with a 3" lift and 31s on my xj (no lockers)
i think you are using the word "rockcrawler" rather loosely
i don't doubt the prowess of an h1 in a high speed/bumpy situation, but they are not rockcrawlers :rolleyes:

oh but they have lots of flex with that high clearance ifs :ugh:

4x4phil

Then please allow me to insert (wheeler) for rock crawler, if it'll make you feel better. I've only seen a hummer once in moab and it was doing things I couldn't believe. And if you can air down your tires from inside the cab, be locked front and rear with good flex, 4:1 tc, fuel injected motor that'll handle any angle, a good center of gravity, better clearance than practically anything, perfect approach and departure angles, 37" tires with double beed locks and run flat capabiliteis stock, out of this world under body protection,(I could go on) I'm sure they had rock crawling terrain (among other things) in mind when they built it. It's only down fall is that it's too big for some obsticles (I highly doubt it could make it through that narrow spot at the end of hells revenge), and how damn heavy it is. But i've hit obsticles when I wasn't wide enough. Every vehicle has it's disadvantages and if you're a good driver you can adapt. But the H1 has a helluva lot more pro's than cons. And i don't think the term has to be "loose" to consider it a rock crawler. We are talking about factory vehicles here. So what if you've seen one break, we've all broke down even in some of the dumbest places. That doesn't make a vehicle any less a crawler.

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Exactly... Those are the only two cons that I can think of, size and weight.... But you know, without those, the thing probably wouldn't be as capable? There is a far cry from the H1 to the H2 to the H3. The only thing left is the name.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
waynehartwig said:
Exactly... Those are the only two cons that I can think of, size and weight.... .......

and $$$$$$$ (oh, and did you mention the size and weight?) I think the H1 in it's element (the desert, behind tanks) is a pretty decent vehicle if it had a powerplant worth a d@mn.

An H2.....I'm not interested in one. An H3, I'm even less interested. (lots of reasons--not the least of which being styling and cost--I like the Wrangler a lot better)

Houndoc

Interesting debate- rant may be the better word. May I risk life and limb by saying the obvious? That being that no one panning the H3 has actually wheeled one. (same could be said of the other anti-anything-thats-not-a-jeep-or-toyota lines that get going at times... think the LR3 etc).

I haven't either so I cannot defend the vehicle. But I won't right it off either.

N-Smooth

i am not anti anything that isn't a jeep, but i recognize that a lot of vehicles are not as great as people say and a lot are better than people say.

in this case, i think the h1 would be fun to fly through a desert or something, but there are many vehicles i would rather have for rockcrawling. they are not all jeeps.

Houndoc

jeepin4x4james said:
And being able to squeeze 33's on stock,

I probably could do that on my Montero Sport (run 32s now without in problems and look like there is room to spare).

And for those talking cost,I jumped onto the Hummer page and found you can equip one with the "adventure package" (33s, rear locker etc) and barely break $30k. Not too bad really.

N-Smooth

Houndoc said:
I probably could do that on my Montero Sport (run 32s now without in problems and look like there is room to spare).

And for those talking cost,I jumped onto the Hummer page and found you can equip one with the "adventure package" (33s, rear locker etc) and barely break $30k. Not too bad really.

okay you get 30k and i get 30k and we'll see who has the baddest machine! when i look at rubicons and other stock "wheelers" i think of what i could build for that kind of cash... but i understand some people don't have tools or time so they just buy one and thats cool

V-DAWG

someday
xj_punk said:
okay you get 30k and i get 30k and we'll see who has the baddest machine! when i look at rubicons and other stock "wheelers" i think of what i could build for that kind of cash... but i understand some people don't have tools or time so they just buy one and thats cool

Okay, all you get is 30K, and that includes purchasing a tow rig and a trailer. The comparison is pretty lame. One has a factory warranty, a/c, heat, power everything, nice stereo, can cruise 80+ mph effortlessly and still get good gas mileage, etc. etc. etc., the other one can't even be driven to get a gallon of milk. (I know they can be built to be streetable, but many people don't bother)

If you want the baddest machine, then no, don't buy a H3- but if you want a competent off road vehicle with all the creature comforts then look at the H3.

pELYgroso

'Merica
when I first saw one, i thought it looked like a Liberty. I wouldn't drive an H3 OR a Liberty though. manufacturers are wussifying their names by making vehicles like the H3 and Liberty. the H2 was Hummer's 1st step in that direction and now this?? Next we'll see the H4 on a Chevy (Geo) Metro frame with an optional locker and lower gears for those hardcore Wusses. Whatever humms hummer's humdinger I guess. If they sell, SELL 'EM!!!!!