New XJ owner...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Greg said:
:cool: I'll be looking for a 2WD Taco axle! Are they 1" shorter or 2"?

Long arms might be a bit much for a grocery getter, but you never know. ;)

I don't think they're any shorter, but I could be wrong. Coreshot might be willing to find out for you, he has a 2WD 4cyl Taco. :D

JeepinJoe, what's a D44A? What's different about it than a "normal" D44? What do they come from?

FWIW, if you're paying $200-$300 for a Toyota axle with no locker, you're getting ripped off.

MOODY

Bald Guy
I was always under the impression that the 8.25 and D44 axles are much stronger than the 35, in fact I have rarely heard of the two snapping. School me on the 44a as I am an XJ owner too...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I Lean said:
I don't think they're any shorter, but I could be wrong. Coreshot might be willing to find out for you, he has a 2WD 4cyl Taco. :D

JeepinJoe, what's a D44A? What's different about it than a "normal" D44? What do they come from?

FWIW, if you're paying $200-$300 for a Toyota axle with no locker, you're getting ripped off.

I think he's talking about an aluminum Dana 44. From a ZJ? I think the Toy axle is AWESOME (as you and a few others have proven in competition) and would make an excellent diff for an XJ/ZJ/TJ/YJ etc. I want the strongest, cheapest, most available parts possible in my junk. I don't care if it comes from a Buick or a Yugo.

JoeT

Yup ZJ rear axle w/disc brakes. Typically in the V8 flavored ZJ. 44a's are the one's with the aluminun center diff. The benefit of these is the cost and availablilty.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Your right, the D44A is the aluminum rear axle from a ZJ (and the WJ I think). Its not as strong as the all steel D44 and you can't find any lockers for it. Then again its stronger than the D35 any day.

JoeT

Or look into a 8.8 from a Ford Exploder, D44 strength plus disc brakes. Gears and lockers are no problems.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Hickey said:
D44A is lame. The Toy axle is sweet, but that 29 spline 8.25 will keep you happy until you want a gear swap.

Ding, DING, DING..... I'd stick with the 29 spline 8.25. Esp. for what it sounds like your plans are for it. Greg, I'd trust that one with up to 35" tires (by then you've reached the limits of the D30, IMHO) and I think your planned 33" tires would work great with it.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
JeepinJoe said:
Or look into a 8.8 from a Ford Exploder, D44 strength plus disc brakes. Gears and lockers are no problems.

Might as well use a 10 bolt :rolleyes:

Stik with the 8.25, she'll be fine....Long arms are a good idea though, it makes DD much nicer!!

JoeT

rckcrlr said:
Might as well use a 10 bolt :rolleyes:

Stik with the 8.25, she'll be fine....Long arms are a good idea though, it makes DD much nicer!!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Do some research :rolleyes: :rolleyes: as many have used a Ford 8.8 have no problems. You have to get the right one. Waaay better than a 10 bolt or a 8.25./ 8.8's / D35 have been proven to be a great axle in XJ's. I believe the newer one's are better models , 96+ have discs. ANd no not the IFS setup. -_- 91's -99's have a 31 spline. Try using the search button on www.jeepsunlimited.com and you can find lots of good info on the strength of these axles. Also www.naxja.org is a good one.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
JeepinJoe said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Do some research :rolleyes: :rolleyes: as many have used a Ford 8.8 have no problems. You have to get the right one. Waaay better than a 10 bolt or a 8.25./ 8.8's / D35 have been proven to be a great axle in XJ's. I believe the newer one's are better models , 96+ have discs. ANd no not the IFS setup. -_- 91's -99's have a 31 spline. Try using the search button on www.jeepsunlimited.com and you can find lots of good info on the strength of these axles. Also www.naxja.org is a good one.

Hey Joe, just as an FYI....Marc knows as much as anybody I know about the different axle options, and pro's and con's of each. He's also VERY familiar with XJ's, and the various choices and mods people make. He's done the research.

mbryson

Supporting Member
JeepinJoe said:
x2
Heaven forbid that someone on this forum suggest anything but a built
Dana 60 as a axle. :rolleyes:

Didn't he suggest sticking with the 8.25 that's already there? :confused: (that's how I read it, anyway---Marc knows his axles---and the coolest thing about the D60...you don't have to worry about it EVER :D) IMHO, I don't think there's ANY reason to swap an 8.25 out for an 8.8. You get disk brakes but for the hassle, I don't think it's worth it. D35...yeah, get that pile out of there if you're running 33" or bigger tires.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
when I saw that post accusing Milner of not knowing axles and to do some research, I almost spit my beer out on the keyboard in laughter.

for 33's, I wouldn't swap the 8.25 out. If you were going to swap out the rear, couldn't you narrow down a 9" or 60 and get some blanks cut/splined for about the same $$. The XJ 44's, 8.8's w/ discs, etc usually cost a little more because people are looking for them. You can get 60's and 9's all day long for like 100 bucks....or toy axles too....anyways....

Cody

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Cody said:
when I saw that post accusing Milner of not knowing axles and to do some research, I almost spit my beer out on the keyboard in laughter.
Cody

:rofl: :rofl: :D
Thanks Cody, I was laughing too. ;)

Anyway just for an FYI (I don't feel I need to or should have to defend myself).... My Wife's XJ has had a 44 w/detroit for about 14 years! I Built, from scratch the first lift on it, Prior to Tera or RE even being on the market. It has had long arms for about 6 years. My opinion stems from many years of eperience, take it for what it is worth.....and lighten up! :)
Oh and the only 60 I have is the frt on the EB....6 axles and only one is a 60, Hmmmmm?? :D