Newbie bike advise

Tonkaman

That's a sweet bike, Congrats! I'm glad you held out because that bike is far better suited to your needs than the other options you were looking at

Jeromy

finally got some time to start tinkering with the bike tonight for about an hour. Getting it ready for the inspection so I can get it registered. The rear left turn signal light, brake light and horn all are not working.

Started with the turn signal light. No voltage to it so I started chasing the wires. Found this:
IMG_0856.jpg
so I need to solder that back all together.

Horn is getting voltage so I think its just toast so ill order a new one.
IMG_0858.jpg

Not sure whats going on with the brake light yet.

I also ordered a speedometer, a trail tech endurance ii http://amzn.com/B007NNJA9E

Jeromy

Got to tinker with the bike a bit more tonite. Horn came in so put that on and now works. I got turn light all soldered and shrunk wrapped back together. I tested the brake light switch and its not working. Light comes on if you jump the wires but switch does not function. Need to look up the correct thread and order a new one. Also ordered a new headlight/turn signal switch as the head lamp switch wasn't working properly.

Hopefully get it registered soon!

Jeromy

Got bike registered today at lunch. I need to track down some gear tomorrow and maybe I'll head out somewhere this weekend and putt around. Maybe head out to five mile or knolls.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
But it's really hot. I got the fox one and only used it for a month or so before I had to downsize. I didn't like overheating before my bike. Although my bike never has.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
X2 on the body armor! It's hot, and miserable, but it works. I have had 2-3 significant crashes with mine on and have got up thinking 'that should have hurt'..
On my last ride, I took the handle bars to the chest. It knocked the wind out of me, and felt like I had been hit with a bat. After I was able to breath again, I realized I was not hurt at all. A hit that hard should have been painful.
Another time while riding some super tight single track I got pulled off my bike. I failed to see a dead branch pointed right at me. It went through my sweater, deflected off the armor, and back out the back of my sweater. I was literally speared. The armor protected me.
I don't care how hot it is. I wear it.

djgardner

Here is another vote for body armor. I wear the fox Titan (but my next one will be the Acerbis), and riding without it is the equivalent of playing tackle football without pads. So I haven't ridden without mine in years.

Yes they are warmer...but so is a helmet.

Caleb

+Whatever for body armor. I suck at riding and wreck often, rarely do I get more than scratches and maybe minor bruises...I contribute that 100% to wearing body armor. I've forgotten mine once or twice and even without wrecking, I end up more damaged those rides than when I wreck while wearing it. I never wear a jersey over mine, as said, they are hot but are 100% worth it. I just picked up the Leatt Brace Adventure, looking forward to having a bit nicer one. I've rode for years with a cheapo RMATV one and as mentioned, it's done it's job.