Newbie bike advise

Caleb

Also, there are several guys on here that have RMATV accounts. I'm one of them. If you want to see if I can get a discount, shoot me what you are looking for. I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone that buys through me, I make nothing on the parts I sell, most of the major name brand things I can't get a discount on, and I'll be sure to tell you if it will actually be cheaper to not buy it through me. No matter the size of the order, I have to pay actual shipping costs, so if the part is shipping from their Tennessee (or is it Kentucky?) warehouse, even with a discount, sometimes it's cheaper to buy on a personal account because you'll get free shipping over $99. If you do decide to go through me, I'll order your parts as soon as I receive payment. :)

rholbrook

When you get all sweaty, just make sure you are standing up on the faster sections. The air going through the protector will feel cold. :) My worst crash two years ago was when I thought it would be just a quick ride and no need to wear my Fox Titan. Needless to say, two broken ribs and a seperated sternum later, I was out for a while. They are worth their weight in bulkiness and sweatiness. I never ride without it, no way.

Jeromy

Thanks all. I will definitely pick up some body armor, boots, and helmet before I go out.

Does rmatv have a store front where you can try stuff on if I drive down their? I'm worried looking at some of the sizing that some of the body armor is going to be to small.

Caleb

They have their warehouse in Payson that sort of has a store. You CAN go try on things they have there (most things) but you have to wait for them to pull it from the warehouse. So if you're patient, it's doable. I did that when I just bought my Leatt body armor. I bought one, it was too large, so I took it back and went and tried them on to make sure I got the right size.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Just go one size larger than your normal shirt size. Their sizing chart is pretty spot on. I wear a large, body armor: I got an xl.
It's hot, but I'm not dead yet either.

Knee/ shin gaurds are a must have item as well.

Caleb

I've never used the knee/shin guards but have smacked my knees plenty of times. You would think I'd be smart enough to get a set by now :)

rholbrook

I've never used the knee/shin guards but have smacked my knees plenty of times. You would think I'd be smart enough to get a set by now :)
Same with me. My son wears knee braces and a neck brace but I choose not to wear those. I should but Caleb and I come from the old school. We are BAMFs. :D

djgardner

I can't believe people still ride without knee/shin protection...blows my mind.

Between boots, knee/shin guards, body armor (with chest, back, shoulder, elbow protection) and my helmet...the only places on my body not covered in plastic are my thighs and hips. and I like it that way. :)

Jeromy

My buddy and his family went up to strawberry this weekend so I headed up and pitched a tent next to his 5th wheel. Took a ride up mud creek this morning. Bike ran great. Only Got tossed of the bike trying to go through an section of muddy ruts. Other then that was a great ride.

image.jpg

Jeromy

Nice! How does the bike feel?

Feels pretty good. It's got a ton of torque. It wants to go. I was with a Utv and was trying to just putt up the canyon but after a bit the bike got pretty warm. Had to kick up the speed a bit to keep it cool. Got to keep the air moving I guess.

Tonkaman

Feels pretty good. It's got a ton of torque. It wants to go. I was with a Utv and was trying to just putt up the canyon but after a bit the bike got pretty warm. Had to kick up the speed a bit to keep it cool. Got to keep the air moving I guess.

That's a very valid concern most people overlook at first. 450 engines do not like to idle or go too slow for too long. Sometimes this makes riding with slower groups or ATVs difficult