Novice/Beginner - I want to hit up some basic trails, but need a leader with patience

I have a capable rig...

Other Vehicross's that are less built have done just about everything in Moab:
Steel Bender
Fins and Things
Metal Masher
Hell's Revenge etc.
Poison Spider
And more...

Plus Todd Adams who is a trail leader during the Easter Safari leads the Jeeps in his Vehicross ;)

I'm more built than most now, but I have very little experience(while in stock trim):

Klondike Bluffs & Dome Plateau (jeep route) (Todd Adams was trail leader)

I'm located in Ogden, and I need a trainer/leader with patience... I'd like to do some fun trails to break me into the scene, with hopefully no breaking ;)

My Younger brother will also want to go, both of us have little to no experience, he Drives a Hummer H3, and I drive an Isuzu Vehicross, running on 33X12.5s.

I know some Jeepers and 4Xs aren't a big fan of Hummers But his vehicle should do alright and he's a nice guy. :D

Let me know if anyone is going riding and will allow us to tag-a-long and hopefully learn a thing or two.

Patience will be key since I'll be very timid.

Vehicle Stats:
2000 Isuzu Vehicross
33X12.5 Mud Grapplers
HD Tie Rods
All Energy Bushings
OME Springs
Bilstein shocks
Flipped Ball Joints (aid in alignment)

PM or post if you're interested in leading me around, and hopefully not off a cliff ;)

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
Join a local club for a trail ride. there are 2 clubs in your area.

The Wasatch Outlaw Wheelers and The Big Horn 4x4 Club.

I am the activities director of the Outlaws, if you want to check out one of our meeting shoot me a PM and i can give you my contact info or contact for the Big Horns

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Either of those clubs are good.

Come to Tooele County and run the Snakes. Easy enough for everyone, but enough to kind of test yourself a little too. :D

Sooner the better huh! :D

It's near Logan, and it can be as hard as you make it. Fun ride nice scenery--Great place to start imo ;)

btw awesome rig!!!

By saying It can be as hard as you make it, are you saying there are Bypasses for large obstacles, etc.?

Thanks for the comments on the rig, definitely a work in progress but I'm having fun!

Send me an email when you're planning on running the trail Richie(at)outofboundscreative.com

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
It really doesn't matter how built up your rig is. In fact that is probably a huge issue. You should've learned to drive it when your rig was stock, now you'll probably just tear things up and break your overpriced and overbuilt rig. Clearly, to me, you have way more money than brains. The same problem I see all the time around Moab.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
It really doesn't matter how built up your rig is. In fact that is probably a huge issue. You should've learned to drive it when your rig was stock, now you'll probably just tear things up and break your overpriced and overbuilt rig. Clearly, to me, you have way more money than brains. The same problem I see all the time around Moab.

having a bad day?

I hardly consider a vehicross on 33's to be an overpriced or overbuilt rig lol. I think it's a perfectly suitable beginner rig to tool around with until you decide you want more or you are perfectly happy with your limitations.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Vehicle Stats:
2000 Isuzu Vehicross
33X12.5 Mud Grapplers
HD Tie Rods
All Energy Bushings
OME Springs
Bilstein shocks
Flipped Ball Joints (aid in alignment)

Not overbuilt OR overpriced. He's got a tiny lift and some tires. Ok, so what?

I wish more people were out there asking for guidance like he is, instead of tearing up trails when they exceed the limits of their vehicles.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

Wow! Sounds like you need to roll up that jump to conclusions mat and grab a cold one! :rolleyes:
The guy has run a few trails, probably talked with people like Todd, joined a vehiCROSS forum and thought that building his rig would be fun. Thats what most people do. So he built his rig before he really started wheeling, big deal. Now he just needs to learn how to drive what he's got. Its good that he's asking and not just driving off and climbing whatever rock he can find. This way he hopefully will get involved with a club and learn to take care of the land.

Taylor:
Providence Canyon is a great trail. Lots of fun, pretty easy. You wouldn't have a problem on it.

JParriott

THREESIX
Hey man, that is pretty harsh to down on the guy for asking questions, jumping to cons. Taylor, (I'm guessing?) I am in Moab and have wheeled pretty much all there is. If you ever want to go out, myself and a few others here would be more than happy to help you out and give you guidance. Hell, maybe we'll learn from you.
Just drop a line when ever.
Jeremy Parriott
ThreeSixMedia.com

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd be willing to bet that if you had a Ramsey winch on your rig, Rick B would be your bestest bud by now... He loves em.. LOVES EM!! :busted: But, since in Rick's words, "you have more money than brains", you'd buy a Warn just cause you can... and pull Rick out of a stuck situation when his Ramsey fails. ;)

I second the club idea.. That'll plug you right into a social network of people who obviously like to wheel..

Last edited:

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
And i as well as many others would be glad to assist you when we are out wheelin. I'm not a trail leader such as Cody is, but i dont have a problem helping someone out and spotting them when there in need.

(BTW i just heard Cody leads trails in Moab, that why i used him as an example :)

SICK99TJ

levi when you heading out to little moab again? i finally got my tj put back together and need to get her back on the trails. and then these guys could come down there and wheel down here as well

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Did i meet you down there?? I honestly dont recall, what happened to your tj.. and my appologize for forgetting. I can head down whenever really, my Long Arm is going to be arriving here within the next two weeks (thanks to a delay of brackets not being ready). But until my jeep goes under for my long arm, axle, and tcase swap im good to go. The biggest issue is not having the money to pay for gas ha ha.

RESURRECTION...

Crazy year for me, Engaged, 2 new dogs and a baby :D

But now I'm ready to start hitting the trails. Vehicle is still in the same form it was before.

I have a friend who wants to do elephant hill in a month or so, and camp in the needles, but I've done Elephant hill as a passenger in a stock 4 runner. And it got my heart really racing... I need some EXPERIENCE!! When I watch a vehicle from outside, it doesn't even look close to tipping, yet when I'm inside I think we're going over :D

I need to learn that "Zen" of driving as Todd Adams put it.

If anyone is doing some day trails anytime soon, and you have the patience for a new tag-a-long I'd love to go :D