offroad vehicle insurance

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Any of you that have registered your rig as and ohv, what have you done for insurance? When I tried calling my company (Progressive) I was told that they don't have any policies that my Jeep would fall under. They insure motorcycles and atv's but they wouldn't classify my Jeep as one even though the registration says it is.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i talked to my state farm agent about this the other day. he said the easiest and cheapest way was to insure it as what it was to begin with. i told him i only used it a dozen times a year or so. he said he would leave it suspended until i was going to use it, then i would call him and tell him i was taking it out for the weekend.

so it wont be insured in my driveway, but on the trail and on the trailer it would be insured. a lot of people do this with classic cars. and vehicles that only get used a few times a year.

kind of a pain in the ass, but they dont have any other plans for what i needed.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I know my insurance agency has a classic insurance for vehicles driven under x miles a year. I would never leave a built rig un-insured sitting in the driveway, too much to lose IMHO. I have my Cruiser fully insured as a 3rd car (between my wife and I), its only $300 or so a year. I go through AmFam for reference... they have been great thusfar.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That's one of the main reasons mine's street legal. Easier to insure and I've got laws to back me up (depends on my liar---er lawyer of course) if anything were to happen.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Oh, if you don't have any luck... I have the contact info for a State Farm agent that is a wheeler... a couple of guys in the Cruiser club use him because he gets their rigs insured for full replacement value (not blue-book, etc which can vary greatly on a 30 year old built FJ40 ;)). No affiliation but they all seem to be happy.

Caleb

I talked to my SF agent and got my buggy insured (for the two months I had it finished) as an ATV of some sort. It was cheap and I had full liability coverage. My agent has always been very cool about my rigs. He wanted to talk about my Jeep when I had a 6" lift and 35" tires, never said a thing about my coverage though.

Meat_

Banned
State Farm told me no even for liability. Thier main complaints were that the back wasn't "finished" and the fuel cell wasn't secure/protected enough. I could give to sh!ts about full coverage on it (although theft would be nice) because the only things of value on it aren't going to be hurt if I roll it.

Dart

Banned
What about liebility only, or are you wanting full cover. I put mine to liebilty, just incase I role and hurt someone. It does not run on the road alot. Mine is through State farm.

Meat_

Banned
Most of you guys are missing the OHV part, the ins companies don't get it... hell the DMV doesn't really understand it.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I talked to my american family agent when I was building mine, and they had a policy to cover it and all documented upgrades value plus theft coverage.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
I'm planning on switching to american family, but I have to wait until next year for my driving record to be clean.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i talked with my all state agent maybe a month ago about what get's covered on my 4runner... she said everything on the vehicle is covered as long as there is some type of proof... receipts for parts, and she says even pictures will work. i hate to put that to the test though...

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
i i told him i only used it a dozen times a year or so. he said he would leave it suspended until i was going to use it,
so it wont be insured in my driveway, but on the trail and on the trailer it would be insured.

The problem with this, is that there will be no coverage or compensation for the vehicle if you ever have a house fire or other disaster. It won't fall under your homeowner's policy, because all vehicles (OHVs, ATVs, classic cars, etc.) are considered "insurable entities", meaning that they require coverage of their own for protection.

What would be nice, would be if they would develop a boat type policy, where the vehicle has full coverage for certain times of the year, but your comprehensive covereage never lapses. You could call your agent and activate it for a given period of time, let it lapse if you have a couple months where you don't use it, but you are protected in case of fire or theft.

fergusor

Most of you guys are missing the OHV part, the ins companies don't get it... hell the DMV doesn't really understand it.

Im an insurance agent and have 1 company that will write my buggy on full coverage for stated amount(17,000). With this company it has to be offroad use only.

Seth

These go to 11
Im an insurance agent and have 1 company that will write my buggy on full coverage for stated amount(17,000). With this company it has to be offroad use only.

Is that coverage for theft and fire as well? How much is your policy? I have been looking for that type of coverage for about a year now and everyone just looks at me like I am nuts.

sams92xj

I am a Farmers Agent and I have access to Off Road Vehicle insurance includeing custom built vehicle, We have done several buggies with values up to $65,000. There is a way to do it.