Offset Smoker Build

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
that thing must weigh 300 lbs

Good eye. I just weighed it and it is 302.2 lbs

How do the stacks attach, any extra support?

.120 wall stacks welded to a .180 wall tank. no extra support needed.

Stack dampers made and in place, 2 coats of semi-gloss high temp paint, inside is sprayed with PAM spray, and mounting holes for two thermometers cut and one thermometer installed (the second one gets here Monday).
Tomorrow this thing will see fire!!!!! Woot.

20211009_151325.jpg

20211009_152121.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Give me a few trial runs to get a feel for the temps.
I'm hoping I can get a higher level of smoke on a brisket that I can't get with the pellet grill.

comingdown

Love it. I’m in the middle of my stumps gravity feed clone build. I had a love/hate relationship with my offset smoker, but as long as you don’t mind a lot of hands on attention they are pretty fun.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
What type of wood are you planning to burn with this? Are you buying off a wood yard or trying to scrounge it up?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I found out that Standard Firewood gets several varieties of smoking wood (apple, hickory, cherry) as well a oak.
At the moment they have apple but won't get oak until next month.
When they get that I'll get a 1/2 pickup load of each.

I'm not averse to scrounging either if anyone has apple, hickory, or oak they would part with.

For the test run it was just pine and a hickory log or two from Home Depot (no food was on the grill, just baking in the PAM spray)

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I forgot to teflon tape the threads of the grease drain and the grease was seeping through the threads so I got that fixed.
The floor of the firebox sees the hottest temps so I added a second piece of steel from the main tank. It's both thicker and a larger radius which provides about a 3/4" air gap at the bottom of the firebox... perfect.

20211015_180245.jpg

First brisket is on the grill woo hoo
Kind of an odd one though. a huge flat but almost no point.
It was only 12 pounds and I wonder if the point was taken for something else, although it didn't really look like it when I trimmed it.

20211016_084056.jpg

Oh, if anyone is wondering if a reverse flow smoker really evens out the temps like claimed, here's your proof.
I guess I didn't need the second stack or thermometer. May take them off for the next smoker :)

20211016_084607.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The end result was both a success and a bit of meh. The smoke was awesome. The odd "all flat no point" and my lack of fire control made it a bit dry. That said, it was an awesome day outside tending fire and drinking brewskies.
We killed a good portion of it last night and part of the remains are in tonight's chili so it's still a win.

Upcoming mods:
Screw down leveling feet. My patio is sooo uneven and this thing rolls so easy I lifted the lid and chased it across the patio.
Wood grate for the firebox... a 10-hour cook generates a good bit of ash, a grate would get the logs above it to feed air from below.

Smoke ring anybody ? and no, I did not paint that on or do anything to the photo.

20211016_194313.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The end result was both a success and a bit of meh. The smoke was awesome. The odd "all flat no point" and my lack of fire control made it a bit dry. That said, it was an awesome day outside tending fire and drinking brewskies.
We killed a good portion of it last night and part of the remains are in tonight's chili so it's still a win.

Upcoming mods:
Screw down leveling feet. My patio is sooo uneven and this thing rolls so easy I lifted the lid and chased it across the patio.
Wood grate for the firebox... a 10-hour cook generates a good bit of ash, a grate would get the logs above it to feed air from below.

Smoke ring anybody ? and no, I did not paint that on or do anything to the photo.

View attachment 141828
This photo literally made me salivate. Nice job dude!